Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adventuregirl View Post
    I have not had the food issue, because I am always the camp cook, now I have had ground dwellers all hovered around me treating to overturn me if I don't hurry up and feed them....
    For me, that's even worse... grizzlies can be problematic when hungry, but my children just before breakfast at camp are a terrifying bunch of little anarchists--I used to fear they would just cut me out of the hammock, but any more I'm fairly certain they would wake their dear father with a Molotov cocktail.

What's a bit of hunger compared to 3rd degree burns?
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    My entire camping party has converted to hammocks and I've found that I miss the social space that a tent provides when their are days of rain. A tent is a good place to play cards or other games when yer hunkering down for weather. Now everyone goes to their respective hammocks and takes a nap.
    I agree. Especially in cold, foul weather.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    The camp cook thing started years ago when I discovered that I have an incredibly high metabolism that is 1000 time worse when I am backpacking.... if I shared the menu responsibilities with others they all wanted to strangle me, because I am an angry bear when hungry.... on another note I have yet to find a bad thing about hammocking. I have only done a couple of trips though.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    When you've chosen to not stealth camp, and set up in a crowded camp ground. You can't take a nap because all the ground dwellers are wandering to your camp to check out your foreign contraption and ask " Is that comfortable, can i try it out?"
    As much as I would want to be an ambassador, that might get old fast.

Sounds like I just found the perfect raionale to buy/make that second hammock. This forum is just soooo helpful.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    For me, the worst part is pack volume and weight vs. my ground setup.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    To provide a more serious answer, the worst part to me about hammocking is the fiddling with under-insulation. No solution seems to be "just right" - every single thing I've tried in terms of under quilts always shifts around in ways that I don't like, pads can be great but when you slip off the pad in the middle of the night it's a huge hassle to get back on top of it, etc.

I love cold weather camping, and on the ground it was as easily as "inflate pad, lay on pad". In a hammock I always feel like I'm spending a lot of time trying to get my quilts oriented, and it's something that has annoyed me for years. One of the reasons I was so keen to try the Ridgerunner was that the simpler geometry makes it easier to more reliably keep a quilt exactly where you want it. In the Blackbird, I've had the quilt slip off my feet more times than I can count.

That said, I still love my Blackbird and don't know if the Ridgerunner can ever knock it off its pedestal, and I will gladly fiddle with my quilt a bit more, to be able to walk upright when I get out of bed in the morning. I have been to ground exactly once since buying my first Warbonnet, and that was solely because I was in a desert with no trees to hang from.

In fact, I'll soon be unveiling my solution to both the "no trees" issue and the "need a place for everyone to gather in a rain storm" issue. It should be fun

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    ... In fact, I'll soon be unveiling my solution to both the "no trees" issue and the "need a place for everyone to gather in a rain storm" issue. It should be fun
    I'll be looking forward to it.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    DIY, so far
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    underground quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie !!
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Yes, I have "enough" hammocks. However, when someone posts news of a fabric in a new color, I always say, "I don't have a hammock in THAT color!" At least not until the postman arrives!
    Oh man , can't i just get two of everything first? Then go for all the colors?

Well I'm a big boy and I have found that the bigger the Hammock the harder it is to get out. The bigger the deeper. I won a eno double nest at the fall sprawl. The first time I hung it to stretch it out, whoo. I should have made a video, you guys would have died laughing at me trying to get out of it. Finals figured out to through a leg over both sides and get a handful of Hammock and pull myself up. Yes I can laugh at myself.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Several
    I'm a side sleeper and I can kind of get there in a hammock but a tent/pad is easier. But because I'm aside sleeper, I need a thick pad to be able to move in the am. I use an exped synmat inflatable on the ground. It's comfy, but heavy. My wife uses it in the tent with the kids when they come. She likes it.

There is the hammock stigma in certain communities, especially the UL community. They seem to accuse us of being a little too gung ho converting people off the ground.

Don't drink too much and pull your bug net up. It might take too long getting out of it. I've only heard of this.

The relative feeling of being exposed for newbies. My wife's first night in a hammock (me in the tent with the kids), she came into the tent and I went to the hammock, which was fine with me.

The loneliness of being in a long rain, as others mentioned.
    KCCO

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast