Warbonnet Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

A good simple hammock to go along with my BB

I'm wanting a good simple hammock that I can hang along with my BB when I take my daughter or wife backpacking. Where and when I go backpacking I typically don't have problems with bugs so I'm thinking just a simple gathered end hammock. I also want something somewhat cheaper than a BB that I can keep in the car if I'm out and want to hang somewhere. Also not having netting would make it I think more comfortable for casual and backyard hanging.

I love the quality of my BB and don't mind paying a little bit more so I'm thinking the Warbonnet Traveler 1.1 double. What kind of suspension does it have? I've searched and can't find anything about what it comes with and the pics I found don't show the suspension.

The other option would be an Eno double nest which would be a little cheaper but probably a little bit heavier.

Thanks for any opinions and info.

ky chris
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...there is no someday.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I am missing what I would call a vital piece of information. Who is the secondary hammock for? Would you take the second and let the wife/daughter sleep in the Blackbird? Or do you get the blackbird no matter what and they sleep in the left overs? I went through nearly every configuration I could put my hands on to find a hammock my wife liked and would sleep in. If I had put her in "second best" she would still not consider going camping with me.

If she did not have a bugnet she would be be furious. Now I'm not saying my situation applies to you and if it don;'t then fine. But I would suggest you look for a hammock that fits the needs of your wife and/or daughter. Flamingo is very pleaswed with her DIY Bridge. There are a few refinements to be made but that's the case with everything.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The WB Traveler comes with the same suspension options as the BB; cord+ tree huggers or webbing. Either one of the hammocks you listed would be ideal for what you're talking about. There is always an ENO single in my truck and usually another one rolling around somewhere too. Never know when the urge is gonna strike.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I am missing what I would call a vital piece of information. Who is the secondary hammock for? Would you take the second and let the wife/daughter sleep in the Blackbird? Or do you get the blackbird no matter what and they sleep in the left overs? I went through nearly every configuration I could put my hands on to find a hammock my wife liked and would sleep in. If I had put her in "second best" she would still not consider going camping with me.

If she did not have a bugnet she would be be furious. Now I'm not saying my situation applies to you and if it don;'t then fine. But I would suggest you look for a hammock that fits the needs of your wife and/or daughter. Flamingo is very pleaswed with her DIY Bridge. There are a few refinements to be made but that's the case with everything.
    Being married you of all people should know that of course the wife/ daughter gets first pick which of course will be the BB.

You're right though I should have said that I would be using the simple hammock.

I really thought about getting a second BB but I wonder how well I can get them to hang from the same trees next to each other and thus being able to share my MambaJamba.

ky chris
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...there is no someday.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    The WB Traveler comes with the same suspension options as the BB; cord+ tree huggers or webbing. Either one of the hammocks you listed would be ideal for what you're talking about.
    Ditto. Or you could make a gathered end hammock?
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    The WB Traveler comes with the same suspension options as the BB; cord+ tree huggers or webbing. Either one of the hammocks you listed would be ideal for what you're talking about. There is always an ENO single in my truck and usually another one rolling around somewhere too. Never know when the urge is gonna strike.
    I finally figured that both of his hammocks come with a choice of suspension after looking at the Warbonnet start page. It describes them there but not on the Traveler page.

I think it's going to come down to the double layers of the Traveler. If I do get an underquilt you know the wife will snag it so I'll definitely be using a pad. Using a pad in my double layer BB wasn't bad at all.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ky chris View Post
    I really thought about getting a second BB but I wonder how well I can get them to hang from the same trees next to each other and thus being able to share my MambaJamba.
    I might be able to help you on that one. I don't have a MJ, but my SuperFlies are the same dimensions. I've been toying with this idea since I was delusional while being sick last week. I'm going to be trying a couple of different configurations this weekend doing exactly what you're talking about. I'll report back.

BTW, I'm very excited today! We are under a Blizzard Warning and the snow is coming down like crazy right now! Anybody wanna guess where I'm sleeping tonight?
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Ditto. Or you could make a gathered end hammock?
    I have made one out of the Walmart bin ripstop but I really want a double I think. After pricing it all out I think the materials alone to make one would be about $50 plus shipping and the time and effort to make it. For $80 from Warbonnet I'm getting a top quality hammock without pulling out my hair.

ky chris

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    hah! agreed. some of us aren't as smart as you!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    If you want a double layer your options are sort limited. The WB Traveler would have been my first suggestion. Claytor hammock are another option, as well as DD Hammock.

Another option is to get 2 HAAB style hammocks, like an ENO, Ticket To The Moon, Grand Truck/Travel hammock, etc., and hang them together as a double layer. This option would also give you 2 extra hammocks should the need arise. Or you could get a HAAB-style hammock and double it up with your DIY hammock to make a double layer.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast