Thread: Ridge lines

Images

Ridge lines

Can we discuss the differences in a ridge line and a structural ridge line?

My thinking is if I have a structural ridgeline I could have too steep of an angle on my suspension and it would cause my ridgeline to be slack, but any thing from 30 or flatter and it doesn't matter because the structural ridgeline will not let the hammock stretch too tight, is that correct?

If that is correct, then any time I get in my hammock on a new hang and my SRL is slack it is because my suspension is too high up on the tree and needs to come down? Is this correct?

Also, if this is correct then once I find the sweet spot I would never need an adjustable ridgleine again?

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    My thinking is if I have a structural ridgeline I could have too steep of an angle on my suspension and it would cause my ridgeline to be slack, but any thing from 30 or flatter and it doesn't matter because the structural ridgeline will not let the hammock stretch too tight, is that correct?
    correct

If that is correct, then any time I get in my hammock on a new hang and my SRL is slack it is because my suspension is too high up on the tree and needs to come down? Is this correct?
    not neccessarily, generally the more sag you have the flatter your lie will be, so if it's slack and your comfy, then there is no need to do any adjusting unless the bug net is hanging down to low for your liking or something like that

Also, if this is correct then once I find the sweet spot I would never need an adjustable ridgleine again?
    as long as you can always hang your hammock at the same height, then no

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Images
    Thanks Boot,

Still confused...

If I find MY ideal sag and set a fixed structural ridgeline that gives me that sag, then as long as my SRL is tight it would duplicate the same sag every time regardless of the angle of my suspension. Unless I am too steep, then that would cause my SRL to sag and increase the amount of hammock sag. So I could either lower my suspension which lowers the angle and tightens the SRL or I could tighten the suspension which would simply raise the hammock flattening the angle of suspension. I guess I dont get the point of adjustable ridgeline. If you adjust it for each hang then the sag is different for each hang, it may still be comfortable but it is different from the last hang?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Thanks Boot,

Still confused...

If I find MY ideal sag and set a fixed structural ridgeline that gives me that sag, then as long as my SRL is tight it would duplicate the same sag every time regardless of the angle of my suspension. Unless I am too steep, then that would cause my SRL to sag and increase the amount of hammock sag. So I could either lower my suspension which lowers the angle and tightens the SRL or I could tighten the suspension which would simply raise the hammock flattening the angle of suspension. I guess I dont get the point of adjustable ridgeline. If you adjust it for each hang then the sag is different for each hang, it may still be comfortable but it is different from the last hang?
    Correct

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    the whole point of an adjustable structural ridgeline such as a whoopie, is to be able to change your hammock length to find your sweet spot. some people, once they find their sweet spot, will then take that adjustable ridgeline off and make a static one, but all of your thoughts are spot on.

the only reason shug or anyone else shows the "slack" in the SRL is so they can tell whether the rest of their suspension is at 30 degrees. The only time you would need to do this is if you were going all crazy and hanging off of zingit or something else that could break with anything more than you own weight on it, but it is not neccessary any other time. hope this helps. oh and don't hang on zing it please, it's not safe.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    the whole point of an adjustable structural ridgeline such as a whoopie, is to be able to change your hammock length to find your sweet spot. some people, once they find their sweet spot, will then take that adjustable ridgeline off and make a static one, but all of your thoughts are spot on.

the only reason shug or anyone else shows the "slack" in the SRL is so they can tell whether the rest of their suspension is at 30 degrees. The only time you would need to do this is if you were going all crazy and hanging off of zingit or something else that could break with anything more than you own weight on it, but it is not neccessary any other time. hope this helps. oh and don't hang on zing it please, it's not safe.
    Sweet, I was baffled and over thinking it. I will be going to fixed length tonite!

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    anytime swankfly!

• + New Posts