DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedar328 View Post
    Awesome report Chard!!

Thank you so much for arranging this great hang (my first) and you have done it true justice in your report. I am glad to know that a little good scotch can erase any "black marks" on my record

I did happen to notice there was no explanation or account of that nasty little gash on your shin obtained while retrieving your canoe.. I think?

It was great to meet you all and I look forward to our paths crossing again!

Cheers

Cedar.
    Yeah, I got that shaving..

Seriously though, I store my canoe in my mom's garage about 6' off the ground on a custom wood shelf. Apparently someone had placed a piece of plywood/ formica under the canoe for storage so when, in the dark and at 4am, we pulled out the canoe, it fell right on my shin. I didn't realize how bad it was until we hit Huntsville. It does look nasty though.

I like the shaving story better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryvr View Post
    In my defense, and if my wife is reading this, those two girls practically jumped in my hammock without asking
    Seriously Ryvr, those underquilts are powerful mojo and not to be trifled with! I don't think even wild horses could have kept those two petite ladies from forcing their way past you and jumping those hammocks the way they did. Not even wild horses I tell you!!!

Oh and I probably got some of the facts and some of the sequence of events wrong. That was the best I could recollect. If any of you guys have anything you'd like included, just give me a shout and I'll be happy to edit our trip report.
    Last edited by Chard; 10-04-2012 at 20:49.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    3Season Crowsnest
    Suspension
    DIY whooppie
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Yeah, I got that shaving..

Seriously though, I store my canoe in my mom's garage about 6' off the ground on a custom wood shelf. Apparently someone had placed a piece of plywood/ formica under the canoe for storage so when, in the dark and at 4am, we pulled out the canoe, it fell right on my shin. I didn't realize how bad it was until we hit Huntsville. It does look nasty though.

I like the shaving story better.
    Chard, To your credit, you didn't drop the canoe when the melamine board bit you.

Great trip report, although you missed the moment of panic in Dant8ro's eyes when he realized he was the focus of "There was Banana Bread there...."

Did anyone take a pic of the cut banana bread? It looks like a charcoal donut in the pic. Next time I'll take the time to raise it higher when baking something with that much sugar in it. It works great that low with pie crusts, or fruit cobbler.

Fun trip. It was good to meet you all, in spite of the seemingly endless gear envy. Anyone want to buy a used silky bigboy saw?

Chard: I still have the Chaga in the car...
    Dant8ro: Thanks for the red zing-it. Count me in on the group buy.
    Bubba: Thanks for the thumb trick... Get your minds out of the gutter people, it is used to tighten prusiks while on the line.

See you at the next hang.

Jiblets

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Awesome trip report! It was a great trip. Great to see old friends and make new ones!

Chard - Thanks for organizing this hang and for letting me be your bowman. We stayed dry so I guess I passed.

Dant8tro - The splicing master! Thanks for the Novabraid. Keep the cool gear coming, I have to live vicariously through you.

Ryvr - Thanks for cooking and for bringing the girls over to our side of camp. At least I got one of them in my hammock.

Brantwing - It was good to see you again as well as your fashionable cold weather head gear.

Jayson - We hit the trail back in August and now we've hit the water. I missed your BBQ spaghetti but the chowder made up for it.

Jiblets - Good to meet you. I vote you be the de facto leader of the growing asian contingent of hangers. Thanks for baking such a tasty dessert.

Cedar - Steep and Cheap, Steep and Cheap, Steep and Cheap! Nice to have a fellow medical professional to chew the fat with and share stories.

Hankster - Thanks for the ride and for the stories that made me laugh in the car.

Mongrel - Although I met you briefly back in February, it was nice chatting with you and its nice to have another asian hanger in the mix as well

Kasuko - It was nice to meet you and good luck with the new job and apartment.

Chenvre - Keep saying "eh", it suits you. It was nice to meet you and chat with you.

Looking forward to the next one! A few pics.

My set up.

Dant8tro in front, Jiblets to the left and Chard in the back by the water.

Hankster in front, me way in the back.

Ready for the rain. Of course it stopped raining as we finished redoing the tarps but it rained later on. We were able to have a fire under the tarp which made dinner and dessert much more pleasant.

As hankster said, watching the chowder being made was like we were watching the world series.

Misty morning on Trout Lake.

Last edited by Bubba; 10-05-2012 at 00:52.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    In the continuum of OK...you are not OK! LOL I am still chuckling! Great trip guys, cant wait for the next one.

Chard, as ever great report!

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Sounds like an amazing trip. Thanks for the report.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiblets View Post
    Bubba: Thanks for the thumb trick... Get your minds out of the gutter people, it is used to tighten prusiks while on the line.
    Shhh, it's actually part of the secret Asian handshake.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Shhh, it's actually part of the secret Asian handshake.
    Can I be part of the club too? My family comes from the furthest reaches of western asia (geologically speaking)!!!
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs
    What an awesome trip report...It feels as tough I was there just reading your report. Great photos.
    Take care,
    Bluefin

Bluefin's Videos

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEFIN 774 View Post
    What an awesome trip report...It feels as tough I was there just reading your report. Great photos.
    Thanks Bluefin. The photos are courtesy of Mongrel and Brantwing. As much as I said, there was more that I forgot to include, like...

- The hilarious recital of the swordfight from the classic movie "The Princess Bride"

Dant8ro: You are using Bonetti's defense against me, uh?
    Bubba: I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.
    Dant8ro: Naturally, you must expect me to attack with Capo Ferro.
    Bubba: Naturally, but I find that Thibault cancels out Capo Ferro, don't you?
    Dant8ro: Unless the enemy has studied his Agrippa, which I have!

- Slowly paddling behind a loon on a misty Sunday morning

- Eating wild mushrooms (Chaka) offered to Jiblets and myself by a total, albeit seeming reputable, stranger. Dude... Pretty colours....

- A beautiful sunset on the ride home

And I could go on and on (If you liked it, check out some of my other trip reports under my signature).

We need to get a hang out to our Maritime brethren sometime soon!!! Maybe meet half way in Quebec somewhere??

Cheers
    Last edited by Chard; 10-11-2012 at 12:55.

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Can I be part of the club too? My family comes from the furthest reaches of western asia (geologically speaking)!!!
    You're already in dude!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12