Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hope and prayer
    Images

cheap UQ ideas?

This weekend I took my SBPro out and went camping with my daughters (5 and 9). We had a great time - they slept in my old tent

It was chilly though - down in the mid 40's I'm guessing and I was cold!

I know there are several great UQ's on the market but I just don't have the money right now to drop a few hundred bucks on something I won't use that much. I've got a Wally World blue pad - and it works OK but I want to explore jury rigging some kind of UQ. Weight and size aren't an issue - my girls had more gear than Hillary did doing Everest!

I've got a few old el-cheapo sleeping bags - I'm wondering if I can't somehow rig one up as an UQ? Maybe using those tarp clips someone had posted about recently? Clip those to the sleeping bag and then rig up some kind of suspension system? How are UQ's usually hung? I'm thinking if I used some type of elastic cord similar to the stuff the SBPro bug net is suspended with it should 'self-adjust' a bit to my hammock...

Jim

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The most expensive underquilt I have is a sleeping bag mod I bought from a member here. The rest are wither bags I had or bags I bought for ground sleeping. The second most expensive is a 45 degree bag I bought at Wally World for $9.98

This is the mod I bought from someone and then used for my $9.98 bag. I bought an old bed quilt and did a KAQ project on it, followed by another KAQ mod on a sleeping bag I bought for ground sleeping years ago. I say go for it.

They ain't the warmest and they ain't the best but they ain't too awful bad. They are all "pre-quilted". Just cut hem and go. My SG mods I use on my wife's bridge and the KAQ I have on my HH.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

I don't know if this qualifies as cheap but I'll take $135 for my KAQ. It's all black 1.1oz, made by Patrick himself. It is his "small" version.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hope and prayer
    Images
    What is KAQ?? Is that Kick *** Quilt? I remember seeing that before...

Take-a-knee - thanks for the offer - but right now anything over $0 is too expensive

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Kick *** Quilt... There is a tutorial for making them on line somewhere. They are built for the asym design of the HH They fit nicely....I like mine. The Sportsman Guide mod is mostly rectangular and would probably work better on the SB Pro.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hope and prayer
    Images
    OK. Still digging through forums Found this quote - which seems to answer my "how quilts work" question... and seems like something easily done to a rectangle sleeping bag...

Just make a rectangular quilt, with corner tabs and drawstrings on the ends. That would allow you to attach and adjust it in the same way that the JRB quilts are done.
    So basically you tie out the corners - maybe to my suspension rings (?) and then use the cinched ends to 'tighten' or snug up the quilt around the ends of the hammock?

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrumb View Post
    OK. Still digging through forums Found this quote - which seems to answer my "how quilts work" question... and seems like something easily done to a rectangle sleeping bag...

So basically you tie out the corners - maybe to my suspension rings (?) and then use the cinched ends to 'tighten' or snug up the quilt around the ends of the hammock?
    My wife and I took some old mummy bags, removed the foot box and spread them out on a rectangular piece of breathable ripstop we got at JoAnn fabrics. We simply tacked them to the ripstop, sewed channels along the sides of the ripstop and on each end and put draw strings through independent of the sides. Pulled the sides up and hooked them to the biner near the cinch buckle on the suspension and simply drew the end draw strings tight to reduce draft and they work great. We were down in the 20's and snug as a bug in a rug.

This was a nice inexpensive alternative until I get the skills to make a down UQ. I will continue to test it as it gets colder. We have slept outside since mid-May and these UQ with pads really seem to work. Be sure to use breathable material to avoid condensation. We had a total of less than $20 plus the old bags in the deal and are very happy with it.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hope and prayer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    We simply tacked them to the ripstop, sewed channels along the sides of the ripstop and on each end and put draw strings through independent of the sides.
    Hmm - I like this idea. I could buy some ripstop and do a bit of learning on the sewing machine to get the cord channels sewn in. Then I could simply safety pin my bag to the sheet and hang it. If that works I could then modify the bag itself - or maybe just leave it and I could pin on different weight bags...

Jim

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    oetzi on the forum made himself an UQ out of a military poncho and liner. Check out this thread http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=poncho+liner. I believe he was able to get down to 50 degrees.
    Chris

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I'm screwing around with this very idea at the moment. I have a pair of cheap eddie bauer rectangle bags from target sitting on a self collecting dust. These things are so huge, I'm actually considering using one as a makeshift peapod instead of an underquilt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast