Hello everyone. Little about me...I am a contractor for the Department of Defense currently on a one year contract in Djibouti City, Djibouti in the eastern part (Horn) of Africa. By trade, I am a Field Support Enginner and my current job is to train the military guys and girls here on my companies satellite communications terminal before they go forth and do good things for the local population here. I am originally from Little Rock, Arkansas and I have lived all over the world...before I got this gig I was active duty Air Force for 10 years. I have done 2 tours in Iraq and 2 tours in Afghanistan...to include right at a year here in Africa, 6 months as military and 6 months as a civilian contractor.

My plan so far is to stay here until December of 2013 then take off back to the states, spend Christmas and New Years with my family and friends, go out and see some friends out west in Colorado and Utah, then start going through my pack and take a few overnights or long-weekend hikes in the Ouachita Mountains to get ready for a March 2014 NOBO start on the good ole AT.

I have hiked for most of my life but I have never carried a pack or done multi-day trips with the exception of one with my Dad who made a NOBO AT attempt in 2010 but had to come off the trail due to health issues. He took me on an overnight trip to knock out the Approach Trail going up to Springer to give me a taste of the AT and the name YoungSon was bestowed upon me. LOL. I am my fathers youngest son, makes sense Anyway, I made that 2 day trip and I have been haunted by it since...I vowed a few months later to one day complete a thru-hike

For now this is my gear list:
Osprey Atmos 65
Warbonnet Ridgerunner
Lynx Underquilt
Mamba Top Quilt
Superfly Tarp
------big 4 weight 10.8lbs

Going into this I have maintained the ethos that I will start out just being comfortable while carrying more weight, then as my back and legs they decided being completely comfortable isnt all that important I will adjust my gear and extras. If that day never comes then I will keep on carrying what I start with. I dont have all my gear here with me...and I have been trying to pick through my brain to remember EVERYTHING I have for gear, when I decide I have accounted for everything I will come back and post that for review.

Looking forward to being on the trail and meeting everyone...see you soon Class of 2014. Cheers!

--YoungSon