Dangerbird 11' Cobalt / Burgundy.
    Tarp
    Homemade Mega Ogee
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles

Why is it...

That every time I bring up hammock camping to ground dwellers, they start in thinking how "hard core" it is.

Heard it this morning while visiting with a bunch of outdoorsy types when somebody asked for tent suggestions and I start posting pics.

"Listen, I am doing good to get the wife out in a tent. She loves to camp....but has this thing about "having her own bathroom"." What the heck does that have to do with the price of tea in china??? I park my butt in my hammock in in 10 minutes I'm snoring. I wouldn't be able to walk if I tried to sleep on the ground.

I just can't see how it could possibly be considered hard core or roughing it by any stretch of the imagination. I'm COMFY!

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    I bet most of the time it is because they are thinking how to protect themselves from bugs and other animals. They don't know what we know when it comes to tarps and bug nets. The tent gives them a false sense of security from the outside.

Hammock
    3 custom hk2001 Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    IX Double Dog Bun
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch straps
    They may also think they'd be in an uncomfortable banana position.
    -Turtle Creek

Hammock
    Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    I think its the security thing. People feel safer in a tent. My friend said that to me this weekend while we were car camping. She acknowledged she wasn't any safer, but she felt safer with her walls. Now in the morning when we woke up and I felt great and she was all stiff in sore despite her brand new air mattress I think she saw my point. I think as much as people like to camp they are afraid to be outdoors. Where I wish it was acceptable to live outdoors...

Images
    All of the above, because it's more like "soft core" than "hard core". The "hard" part is on the ground!

Hammock
    Brazilian
    It’s a false sense of security brought on by being insulated from the outside world. I prefer a tarp to a tent, even if I’m sleeping on a cot. I like to see what’s going on around me.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Kattelyn View Post
    That every time I bring up hammock camping to ground dwellers, they start in thinking how "hard core" it is.

Heard it this morning while visiting with a bunch of outdoorsy types when somebody asked for tent suggestions and I start posting pics.

"Listen, I am doing good to get the wife out in a tent. She loves to camp....but has this thing about "having her own bathroom"." What the heck does that have to do with the price of tea in china??? I park my butt in my hammock in in 10 minutes I'm snoring. I wouldn't be able to walk if I tried to sleep on the ground.

I just can't see how it could possibly be considered hard core or roughing it by any stretch of the imagination. I'm COMFY!
    I camp with the Boy Scouts, so I don't mind the perception that I'm hardcore. That said, our SM and one ASM tend to sleep on pads on the ground, with only a tarp draped on them to lessen the dew (that is if there is no forecast of rain).
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I agree that "hard" core means sleeping on the "hard" ground.

I think that the tent "security" things is related to an ostrich sticking it's head in the sand.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well, because we're bad-***, of course...

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    The tent gives them a false sense of security from the outside.
    I think that's a big part of it. If you talk about tarp camping they tend to think the same way. By the time you start discussing ultralight gear and alcohol stoves and Fosters can pots they're pretty sure you're nuts.

But honestly, hammock camping is part of my ultralight plan. I cut my tent weight in half and am vastly more comfortable. With a top quilt/under quilt combination I'll be toasty warm and will be carrying about 2 pounds less than my synthetic sleeping bag and almost 3 pounds less by not bringing my self inflating sleeping pad.

I cut my weight in half and I sleep way better. If I get a reputation for being "hard core" as well that's just a bonus.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast