DIY UQ using regular indoor quilt question

Ok guys ive caught the hammock bug. Its coming up on winter here in michigan and i would like to utilize my hammock set up for hunting this year so i need an underquilt. I have a foam pad and an inflatable pad that i can utilize as well but would like the warmth of an underquilt but am very tight on budget. i was considering a DIY version with a poncho liner but then i thought about a regular top quilt from like overstock.com they have a few twin size down quilts with 550 fill 26oz of down for like $45
    anyone know or have tested that out. my thought is i could just cut it and stitch it, and if i wanted make a cover out of some ripstop to make it more weather resistant.

any reason for or against it
    thanks

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    I have no experience with a regular bed quilt. I don't no what temp it would be rated to and would really hate to give you bad advice. I made a down underquilt from a Kmart Cannon pillow that had 44 oz of 500 fill down and it came out great. The pillow was $16 and materials total was about $60 with the pillow. If you can sew, then posibly think about this route.

Here's a guide to make a poncho liner UQ http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=18539

Possibly you can use one of the quilts doubled over in between the poncho liner. I wish I could help you more, but I'm not sure about the down comforter. I'm pretty sure something could be done and hopefully someone will chip in soon.

I'm in Indiana and feel your pain about winter and a low budget.
    Last edited by Lost_Biker; 10-10-2012 at 16:19. Reason: Hulk sad - grammer not right

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ny700 View Post
    Ok guys ive caught the hammock bug. Its coming up on winter here in michigan and i would like to utilize my hammock set up for hunting this year so i need an underquilt. I have a foam pad and an inflatable pad that i can utilize as well but would like the warmth of an underquilt but am very tight on budget. i was considering a DIY version with a poncho liner but then i thought about a regular top quilt from like overstock.com they have a few twin size down quilts with 550 fill 26oz of down for like $45
    anyone know or have tested that out. my thought is i could just cut it and stitch it, and if i wanted make a cover out of some ripstop to make it more weather resistant.

any reason for or against it
    thanks
    Most cheaper down quilts have a LOT of feathers in them that will stick through fabric, and they don't feel real good

• + New Posts