Hammock
    DIY Whipped
    Tarp
    DIY 10x10 Sil
    Insulation
    CCF / Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Fixed
    This is brilliant! Off to the Dollar store!!! I don't know if you folks do this as well, but I use those mesh bags that fruit and stuff come in as super light stuff sacks. You could easily make any size stuff sack you want with one of these "poofs" as well! Thanks OP for the amazing idea!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered-End
    Suspension
    UCRs, Marlin Spike
    Picked up a couple of these today. Love the idea, and it worked great! My only complaint is how easy they are to tear - i pulled a little too hard and put some holes in it right off the bat. More of an operator error than anything else.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    Big Daddy; Kelty
    Suspension
    Python or Whoopies
    Since first posting this idea, I've become somewhat of a 'Scrubbie Connoisseur'... Every time I see a scrubbie in a store, I stop and pinch the mesh in-between my fingers to get a feel for the strength vs. softness of the material (It's a disturbing sight, I'm sure... no doubt there are concerned mothers frantically dragging their small children away from the scrubbie aisle to protect them from being emotionally damaged by the sight of a grown man fondling the bath products)... HOWEVER, I convince myself that I'm somehow akin to a wine-taster or food critic (it's a stretch...but).
    There seems to be a GREAT DEAL of difference in scrubbies and since there are no real 'name brands' of actual scrubbies that I have found, I just have to get a feel in the store for how strong it might be before I buy it.
    I know there are MUCH BETTER snake-skins out there, but these have now become the first thing I use before shopping for more expensive, high-quality ones.

A big thanks to all of you who have experimented with this DIY, and who've pointed out its strengths AND weaknesses.

Darth Hanger

Hammock
    11 ft Dutch
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 season New River
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    Images
    I am so glad this thread was revived. I was just looking at snake skins DIY last night and this showed up in the new post today. This is a great idea. Thanks so much darth. My wife just walked by and said " really hammocks again" so I had to show her how much time and money u just saved me on this awsome idea.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JToon View Post
    "really hammocks again"
    Yup. Get used to hearing that.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    Big Daddy; Kelty
    Suspension
    Python or Whoopies
    No problem, JToon.... just be sure and spend some of that hard-earned (and saved) money on the wife. (Now if I could just find a dollar-store underquilt for next winter!)

Jealousy is an ugly trait but I must say Darth Hanger I am jealous that I didn't come up with this. All credit goes to you my friend haha. Funny thing is my 25 year-old curious self cut one of these scrubbies open about a month ago and I remember thinking "hmm so that's how these are made". Snake skins never occurred to me. Genius and bravo!

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

obsessions could be worse than cheap snake skins

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Hanger View Post
    Since first posting this idea, I've become somewhat of a 'Scrubbie Connoisseur'... Every time I see a scrubbie in a store, I stop and pinch the mesh in-between my fingers to get a feel for the strength vs. softness of the material (It's a disturbing sight, I'm sure... no doubt there are concerned mothers frantically dragging their small children away from the scrubbie aisle to protect them from being emotionally damaged by the sight of a grown man fondling the bath products)... HOWEVER, I convince myself that I'm somehow akin to a wine-taster or food critic (it's a stretch...but).
    There seems to be a GREAT DEAL of difference in scrubbies and since there are no real 'name brands' of actual scrubbies that I have found, I just have to get a feel in the store for how strong it might be before I buy it.

Darth Hanger
    That is very funny, at least you have not become fascinated by the many camping uses for women's panty hoses and feminine hygiene products because you know there are some… filters, holding beverages in mountain streams to cool, hammock peak bags, drying cloths by hanging from your backpack, bait sac; FH: fire starter kindling, blood clotting bandaid… OH NO!!! now the store security guard is going to start following you around. LOL

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    DIY Painters 4mil
    Suspension
    Straps Whoopie MSH
    The store security folks will generally leave you alone if you mumble to yourself while gathering the required items..at least they do when I'm in the store...I'm just reviewing the shopping list out loud....over and over again....and they go away...

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Forget showering tomorrow. I have to do this tonight!

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast