Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY WBBB Clone
    One of my fine fox patrol mates brought his hammock to wood badge this fall (S5-549-12). He's the one that got me started down the hammock trail.

Still working on my ticket items, hope to have them finished soon.

Hammock
    My DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling

Talking

MM Mike, just read the menu. Totally digging it!

You do all your cooking on a dutch? My first exposure to D.O. cooking was when I took 16 guys from our small group at church to Carter's Lake and had 3 D.O.s going.

Did a variation of Chicken In Milk from foodtv with veggies and rolls. Finished it with some good ole Peach Cobbler.

Oh...I'm getting hungry now.
    Psalm 46:10

Hammock
    My DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Okay, with my first hang coming this weekend I was going to use my army net hammock and thought how I was going to keep my sleeping bag in it through the night so I found a great deal on a "normal" hammock at Walmart for $25.

In addition to that, I have 50% off coupon for Joanns and plan on making my bug net this week since I finished working on my taxes and my wife has okayed me moving on with my list of projects.

I'll try to document as much as I can.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by hecta_g View Post
    MM Mike, just read the menu. Totally digging it!

You do all your cooking on a dutch? My first exposure to D.O. cooking was when I took 16 guys from our small group at church to Carter's Lake and had 3 D.O.s going.

Did a variation of Chicken In Milk from foodtv with veggies and rolls. Finished it with some good ole Peach Cobbler.

Oh...I'm getting hungry now.
    Thank you hecta. Some meals were done in DO, but we had close to 70 people between campers, staff and council representatives so most meals were done in the camp's kitchen. There was a lot of starting one meal right after serving another and prepping for tonight this morning, sometimes even prepping for tomorrow tonight. All in all we had a kitchen crew of 6 working our almost straight through 5am to 11pm, but the response from the campers and staff was worth it.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Glad to see this thread - I have been wanting to get my boys interested in Hammock camping, and actually get them to make their own. Maybe this time they wont put the tent away wet, and leave it like that until next month :-)

Anyway - I would like your feedback on how you approached it with the boys. How did your nights go? Comfortable? Wandering around at night?

Hammock
    My DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    My first time hanging was on my oldest first backpacking trip after crossing over. He wasn't ready so I thought I'd be the first among our group.

To be honest, it was the best sleep I've had and since it was my first I wasn't totally prepared or equipped. Even with that it was better than sleeping on the ground.

I've gotten my wife into it so the next step is to get her one and then just make boys theirs. As for setting up for the whole family, my plan is to have the 4 of us hanging at our next Cub Scout campout this coming Fall. Looking at a double decker side-by-side configuration.

I'm a huge DIYer and look forward to making a tarp that can cover the 4 of us.

The boys seem interested and as long as I can make it easy for them I'm sure that it will be a GO!

Hammock
    WB BlackBird DL 1.1, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch & WBBB setup
    Just got off of Staff for our WoodBadge Course S6-204-13, my course was S6-204-2011-1 (Beavers). Anyways I have been using my hammock for about a year now (WB Blackbird) and had tons of interest in hammocking from the participants. I have already converted a few in our Troop. I decided instead of my usual Dutch Oven Cooking class I teach at University of Scouting I am going to do a course on "Introduction to Hammocks" while using the LNT principles. I will be using my knowledge I have gained here to help me along the way. Thanks HF

Hammock
    night owl
    Tarp
    diy big blue tarp
    Insulation
    diy JCP jacket uq,
    Suspension
    woooooopieee
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by camoxjeep View Post
    Just got off of Staff for our WoodBadge Course S6-204-13, my course was S6-204-2011-1 (Beavers). Anyways I have been using my hammock for about a year now (WB Blackbird) and had tons of interest in hammocking from the participants. I have already converted a few in our Troop. I decided instead of my usual Dutch Oven Cooking class I teach at University of Scouting I am going to do a course on "Introduction to Hammocks" while using the LNT principles. I will be using my knowledge I have gained here to help me along the way. Thanks HF
    Good deal. Spread the love. That's what scouting is for me, learning and teaching

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    If I missed it I apologize, where can we get the hammock merit badges? I assume you had them made for the boys. I love this idea. We thought we had come up with it this weekend at our Spring Camporee. I think we should petition Nationals to add it.

Hammock
    My DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by camoxjeep View Post
    Awesome stuff!

Just came off a backpacking weekend with my oldest a few weeks ago and spent my first night in a hammock and LOVED IT!

Trying to get the Mrs and my two boys in a hammock family style by fall campout. Looking at a side-by-side double decker configuration.

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast