night owl
    Tarp
    diy big blue tarp
    Insulation
    diy JCP jacket uq,
    Suspension
    woooooopieee
    Images
    first there was one "me" than my son joined in to make two. The last troop campout we went on last weekend to Robbers Cave state park there was 5. i counted five scouts in my troop including my self in hammocks. I was so happy i gave them a coppy of the ultamet hang to read. it was not a pretty sight but since we are all new its ok. soo happy its like wild fire now. score one for the hammock comunity.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Made my OWN!
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag.
    Suspension
    Whoopies Slings
    This past summer I came back to camp to find my troop had purchased all of the nylon string hammocks out of the Scout Store at camp. We had a triple decker set up over in the Pyro Ninjas and there were at least four more stretched between the trees in the general campsite area. Once all the boys headed off to Merit badges I tried out one of those string hammocks. One of my scouts had bought an ENO out of the store as well. Before the end of camp I owned an ENO double. My son and I did our ordeal two months later and on the second night we set up a double hang due to the angle of the trees. It was about 70 degrees and it poured down raining the second night. We got cold but we were hooked. Packed it in, packed it out. Several of my scouts and adults are now doing the hang thang. Really thinking about DIY hammocks as class between now and Summer camp, and making our own stands. That is the next step. Really glad to see all the scouters here.

Another troop hanging.

I started hammock camping a couple years ago. Still figuring stuff out. Anyways, I am a scoutmaster for a troop of 20 scouts. Last year, I found a steal on CL and donated 20 hammocks to the troop. Nothing fancy, but something to get them started. Now I can't go on a campout without them begging to use them. We have used them from camporees, summer camp, to winter camping.

Four members were just at an OA fellowship, we all setup in an obstacle course, while the rest of the OA slept in a cabin. Got down to 20 degrees. Apparently people were talking because they sure were asking a bunch of questions. Scouts and scouters alike always stop by to try them out.

I would like to say it has been a smooth transition and the scouts have taken well to it, but boys will be boys. I often have to tell certain scouts to lower their height out of fear if they fall, and then summer camp happens. Short scout hangs his hammock way to high. Decides he wants to swing his hammock while laying down. He gets a stick and starts pushing to get it swinging. As I go over to tell him that it is not a good idea, his grip slips. The stick goes right through the parachute hammock and straight to the ground he goes. Luckily he only hurt his pride and didn't stab himself with the stick. Now we do a little safety demo for the scouts.

It certainly changed the way we look at campsites.

Woody

Hammock
    My DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    That's awesome stuff! I'm a Cub Master for Pack 675 here in Georgia with roughly 90 scouts. Currently I'm the only one that sets up a hammock not that I get to use it since I am "working" during the waking hours.

I'm looking at a few DIY so that the Mrs, my 2 boys, and I can sleep overnight instead of using the portable condo.

Since my oldest just crossed over we will be going on his first backpacking trip and there I will definitely be the only one hanging.

Looking forward to it!
    Psalm 46:10

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Pheonix/Burrow 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    In our troop it's just me and my son - since we are a new troop and only have a few camps (2 were cabins and I wasn't there due to work) we haven't had a chance to hang yet.
    but - for one of the meetings we did a hammock demo and set up the hennessey and sparked some interest

next weekend the leaders are doing the woodbadge training - I'll be hanging, but one of the other leaders has already asked if he can try my son's hammock at the camp.

Hammock
    My DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Oh Wood Badge! I'm dying to go. It's a dang scheduling thing but I hope to hang when I do go and hopefully by then I would have made all my needed gear.

I'm trying to sell the idea of hanging to the whole family. I think the boys will definitely jump and the chance but I think I can sway my wife to the way of the hanger. :-)
    Psalm 46:10

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Good memories of Wood Badge 2009. We cooked for campers and staff that year. It was a ton and a half of work but even more fun.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip

Hammock popularity growing in Scouting

I just finished my ticket in OCT. from our course in '11. A good ole(relatively speaking) Eagle here. Out of a course of 30 there were only two hangers. Me and one other guy in my eagle patrol.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    Headed out this October for my Woodbadge. I have already been on the hunt to be sure I will have places to hang. If not I will be looking into a stand of some type to carry for sure.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    night owl
    Tarp
    diy big blue tarp
    Insulation
    diy JCP jacket uq,
    Suspension
    woooooopieee
    Images
    this year with working staff at the national jambo i didnt sighn up for wood badge. so it a wait to the next class when ever that is here in tulsa. i hope they let me hang my hammock up at the summit for the jambo

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast