Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    I just took my son (finally convinced him) to his first Cub Scout meeting last week. I'm looking forward to him getting involved. I hope to impart some of my hammock knowledge on the young, moldable minds.
    I started slow. Big tents lots of sleeping bags. Air mattresses. Large totes. As stuff broke( or as I felt I NEEDED things) I bought backpacking stuff. Out went the airmattress. And then I found hanging. So when I told my now 8yo we were hammock camping he got excited. Ok so we both were a little excited. As someone who never camped and was never in scouts I can honestly say it is why I am now a hanger.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/ 0* UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Artjrk View Post
    Ive heard that hammocks are not aloud at Philmont, but what about the others? Northern Tier and West VA?
    I know you can use hammocks at Sea Base.
    2019 NJ Winter Hang Coup De Grace De Grub Champion
    Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On. - Jimmy Buffett
    https://lighterpack.com/r/yk6y8s

Hammock
    tttg sb 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    hmg cuben
    Insulation
    Crows Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    you can use hammocks at northern tier also. dave

no trees at some scout camps

I'm not seeing many hammocks show up at camps here in southern Ontario Canada, but I'm sure other will begin see the light.

I knew that the location of the greatlakesjamboree.com last summer was a flat grassy field so I whipped up a turtledog stand and spent 8 nights comfortable nights in my troops dining shelter. I set it up each night and took it down each morning while waiting for the coffee pot. no problem!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Homemade Hex
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I just took over as SM in our troop. While I agree that scouts should be encouraged to explore their options, don't disparage a leader/troop for having camping rules. Remember that a troop uses the Patrol method. If 7 members of a patrol are in tents and one member is in a hammock, he is separated from what the group is doing. This happened on one of our campouts where the patrol leader was in a hammock, and another patrol member got very upset that he was "acting better than the other patrol members."

A lot of times I require boys to pair up in tents. Why? Because Philmont requires boys to pair up and we're preparing for a trek. Please don't assume a Scoutmaster is an "out of touch power monger" just because you might not like a rule... there may be a good reason.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    I'm a scouter who has been camping with a hammock for almost two years. One of the boys is claiming that the Scoutmaster told him that he cannot camp in a hammock with the Troop. I'm trying to figure out what to do. My oldest son wants to hammock as well, and I'm naturally gungho about hammocks.

The first thing is I need to find out what exactly was said. Second, if the boy is accurately conveying the message, I will need an explanation for why. Third, I have to figure out in Troop politics what I can do about it.
    Found out the real story. The Scoutmaster said that it depends on the situation, not a blanket ban.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY double table cloth
    Tarp
    DIY with ridgeline
    Insulation
    Poncho liner DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings DIY
    Images
    I bought and Hennessy hammock 1 year ago and this weekend there will be 7 of 14 scouts hanging for the annual Klondike. I'm guessing the noobs that aren't good at listening yet will have a case of CBS, but otherwise it looks to be a great time. Last summer, I took the older scouts on a 50 mile hike through the Ozarks and the boys who packed around tents have sworn to get hammocks for this summer's kayak trip. Good times. ;-)
    Hanging in the Ozarks

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    WB Cinch buckles
    Images
    I'm new to hammocking but it is catching on in my son's troop.

My son's ASM, first did it about 10 years ago (with his older son) and it didn't catch on until this year when he was in a group going to Northern Tier with his younger son.

This weekend is my second campout since I received my hammock. Lows will be in the Mid 30s. I don't have all the good stuff for cold weather camping but I'll try using a 0 degree sleeping bag and my sleep mat in the hammock with me.

My son is dying for me to get him a hammock but he'll have to wait until this fall when I can get another one.

Hammock
    Eno Single-Nest (for now!)
    Tarp
    Eno Pro Fly Tarp
    Insulation
    sleeping bag pad
    Suspension
    Eno Slap straps
    Hmmm..... Maybe it would be a good project to make hammocks at a Scout meeting..... Be very interesting. Btw, what tablecloth do you use for diy hammocks?

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyCamper View Post
    Hmmm..... Maybe it would be a good project to make hammocks at a Scout meeting..... Be very interesting. Btw, what tablecloth do you use for diy hammocks?
    We have 6 boys in the midst of a hammock camping merit badge course in our troop. With another 6 adults we have 12 in hammocks which is cool but brings into play some dynamics of calling dibs over trees, the buddy system, etc.

Here are a few shots of our makeshift sweatshop for under quilts, whoopie slings and tree straps.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast