Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Our local scout troop looked at me like I was from Mars about 4 years ago when I brought out my hammock at Camp Lanochee. Fast forward 2 years and I tagged along on a campout where there were only 2 tents out of over a dozen campers. Times change.

I'm now a den leader in my son's pack. I've been reading up on the rules of camping with cubs and so far I'm a little confused about hammock use. Some seem to think they don't satisfy the "privacy" rules while others believe they do. I'm going to assume it's up to each pack to figure out what works until there's some kind of problem. Guidance seems to be a little thin, at least in our area.

Hammock
    Wal-Mart Equip
    Tarp
    GG Emergncy Sheltr
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ/Foam/Net
    Suspension
    Amsteel/Tech Line
    Hey guys, I'm doing a college project on hammock camping. I created a thread about it.

I was wondering if anyone here would like to give me their permission to cite them as a source in my project? You guys provided some really great data on hammock camping.

Thanks for considering allowing me to cite you!!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/ 0* UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I Started sleeping in a hammock a couple years ago at camp. The other leaders, and scouts thought I was crazy. Then I made a custom hammock for myself, and hammock fever caught on. I made 21 hammocks for the troop. All of the leaders are in hammocks. A few scouts are still in tents, holdouts. But I'm working on "elevatin their perspective!"
    2019 NJ Winter Hang Coup De Grace De Grub Champion
    Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On. - Jimmy Buffett
    https://lighterpack.com/r/yk6y8s

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I have a difficult time understanding the reasoning behind policies like this.

Here's a brand new, 11yr old Scout who crossed over from Cub Scouts just this Spring.
    The photo is of his hammock set-up that he carried and used during our 50 mile AT trip this past July.

Too many Scout Leaders are busy telling kids what they CAN'T DO.
    I'm all about telling boys what they CAN DO.
    A tiger needs to be told what he cant do. A webelos should only need us for encouragement. I agree with Papa now quit being Gargamel. Its sad that adults hold onto scouting as power trip. Scouting is about exploring, expanding, becoming better in nature and not my little army of me's.

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    October 18 I present to two troops interested in hammock style camping. Should be fun. I'll take my stand and let them take a spin in the hammock. Soundman might be able to help me out and show his hammock too. I'm taking a tablecloth along to demonstrate a DIY gathered end hammock. Could be a cool scout project to "make your own bed and sleep in it".
    I think I can make this...I hope to learn something from the Scouts!
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench,a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free,and good men die like dogs.There's also a negative side"
    Hunter S. Thompson

Greg

My son slept on the ground for his Ordeal, and since he wasn't using his hammock I used it for the night before my Brotherhood ceremony and service. He saw the hammock every time he sat down for a meal and said he wanted to give me the evil eye for taunting him with his hammock. LOL

I was the only hammock camper all weekend at Ordeal. That being said, our troop has at least 12 boys and 6 adults hanging. It's awesome to see!

The more Scouting Magazine pushes the use of hammocks, the more I ask about the National High Adventure Bases ending their ban on hanging. It's a little ridiculous that Scouting promotes hammocks, but not using them in their own camps.

Ive heard that hammocks are not aloud at Philmont, but what about the others? Northern Tier and West VA?
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
    I think I can make this...I hope to learn something from the Scouts!
    Great! They meet at the Saint James Catholic Church on Woodcrest Ave at 7pm. Talk to you closer to the event...
    2Q
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Dream Freebird & Sparrow
    Tarp
    Cave Creek 12' XL
    Insulation
    Puffles & DIY
    Suspension
    Straps & rings
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I gotta say its not really an Ordeal if you get to sleep in a hammock. My recollection of mine (over 40 years ago) was that I was led out into the woods, in the dark, told to sleep on the cold hard ground Right There. Had a sleeping bag but no pad.

I used a hammock at summer camp this year and the other adults there were very interested...
    @Grizz. I know what you mean. In 1970 or 71 I was dropped off on a dark moonless night with just my poncho and sleeping bag, no flashlight allowed. I lay the bag down with the poncho on top. I had a very cushy springy bed. In the morning I found it was underbrush with lots of sticker vines caught in my bag! I was glad it wasn't me they caught! I really didn't notice till I got up and the sun was peeking over the horizon. Too tired and excited I guess. I sure was suprised by what that comfortable lay ended up consisting of.

I have used a hammock at summer camp the last 8 years. I am seeing more and more at other campsites these days. For years I was the only one.
    Last edited by BearBurrito; 10-03-2012 at 20:44. Reason: Add year
    Numbers 35:34
    You shall not defile the land in which you live, in the midst of which I dwell...

"You can lead a man to Congress, but you can't make him think." - Milton Berle

"I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)

Hammock
    Dream Freebird & Sparrow
    Tarp
    Cave Creek 12' XL
    Insulation
    Puffles & DIY
    Suspension
    Straps & rings
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Our local scout troop looked at me like I was from Mars about 4 years ago when I brought out my hammock at Camp Lanochee. Fast forward 2 years and I tagged along on a campout where there were only 2 tents out of over a dozen campers. Times change.

I'm now a den leader in my son's pack. I've been reading up on the rules of camping with cubs and so far I'm a little confused about hammock use. Some seem to think they don't satisfy the "privacy" rules while others believe they do. I'm going to assume it's up to each pack to figure out what works until there's some kind of problem. Guidance seems to be a little thin, at least in our area.
    I am an ASM and previous SM. I have a homemade hammock sock using Just Jeff's directions I pull up and then change cloths laying in my hammock. Nobody can see me. If I leave the sock at home I will drop the tarp sides down so I can't be seen. It's a 10 X10. I can even angle the ends in like doors if needed. I wouldn't change while the tarp is in porch mode though!
    Last edited by BearBurrito; 10-03-2012 at 20:45. Reason: Grammer
    Numbers 35:34
    You shall not defile the land in which you live, in the midst of which I dwell...

"You can lead a man to Congress, but you can't make him think." - Milton Berle

"I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast