Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings

Camping at Cheaha State Park

Hey guys. My wife and I and several of her co-workers and spouses are planning a camping trip in November. Of the 12 planning to go, only myself and one other are serious campers. The rest require proper bathrooms and some even showers. I'm new to the Birmingham, AL and am trying to find places to plan this trip. Cheaha State Park is the closest area with "camping" and the other amenities. Has anyone had any experience with this state park? If so, any particular campsite I should seek. Thanks in advance!

Happy Hangin!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    still deciding
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillyg View Post
    Hey guys. My wife and I and several of her co-workers and spouses are planning a camping trip in November. Of the 12 planning to go, only myself and one other are serious campers. The rest require proper bathrooms and some even showers. I'm new to the Birmingham, AL and am trying to find places to plan this trip. Cheaha State Park is the closest area with "camping" and the other amenities. Has anyone had any experience with this state park? If so, any particular campsite I should seek. Thanks in advance!

Happy Hangin!
    That sounds like a perfect option given your plans. My family has been there several times. They have a nice lodge with all the normal hotel amenities. They also have cabins and of coarse the camping area. My son and I have tent camped and they were pretty liberal about where we were allowed to set up. Not sure about the rv campground area, but Cheaha is fun place overall.

Hi jwilly,

This is quite a coincidence. I just happened to talk to a girl from Cheaha today to finalize a trip there the weekend of Oct 12. I camped there last year in October as well.

They have "full hookup" sites and semi-primitive (tent only) sites. Now, their web site states they don't take reservations for the tent only sites- however I just talked to them today and they do take ressy's now for the semi-primitive as well. It is $17.60/night. The tent-only sites have access to a bathhouse, water spigots (but not one per site), tables, and fire ring/grill.

Oh- and they said they have no problem with hammocks. There is a "2 tent per site" limit...but hopefully they won't count the hammock/tarp against us!

If you do want the bigger, full hook up sites I would recommend you get there early and try to get a spot on the upper campground (at the top of the mountain). It is much prettier. When you make your reservation for a full hook-up site, you can't reserve upper or lower.

Last year since they didn't take reservations for the tent-only we reserved a full hookup. Got there around 5:30 or so and nothing was available except the lower campground. It was ok...but your typical over crowed rv parking lot .

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Cheaha is a great place, I have camped there often, both tent and hammock. Also stayed in their cabins and hotel before. Just so happens there is a group of us going to be there in the area, at Turnipseed Camp Ground, the weekend of Oct 12th also. Turnipseed is just down the hill from the state park entrance
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by aboyd View Post
    Cheaha is a great place, I have camped there often, both tent and hammock. Also stayed in their cabins and hotel before. Just so happens there is a group of us going to be there in the area, at Turnipseed Camp Ground, the weekend of Oct 12th also. Turnipseed is just down the hill from the state park entrance
    aboyd- I noticed that thread today...if time permits I might drive down to Tunipseed and say hello and see if I can get some pointers .

• + New Posts