Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Allow me to make a comparison of what I have and my own opinion (YMMV); info is based upon website specs without shipping charges.

SuperShelter # 2: $150 weighs 20 oz. Pros: fits like a glove on HH hammocks (get correct size for hammock length); can use on both bottom entry and zip models; can order replacement parts (under cover and under pad) in the event of "oh crap"; has keep me (YMMV) warm down to 20. Cons: bulky when compared to UQ; don't even think about trying to put back into original stuff sack - tough to do at home, fugetaboutit on chilly mornings in the woods; silnylon UC tends to get condensation.

HG Phoenix 20 (3/4 length): $180 weighs 16.7. Pros: fits most hammocks (worked decently on a netless HH Safari); can use on both bottom entry and zip models; easy to pack small; can tweak (loosen) for warmer weather. I supplement this with the 2QZQ UnderQuilt Protector: $35 weighs 8 oz. Recommend the breathable ripstop. I can leave it at home or pack it in the event of wind and/or rain. Fits most hammocks. This systems provides flexibility, is a bit more expensive, is a bit heavier when combined, packs down smaller than the SS.

Everything piece of gear / system is a trade off between cost, weight, pack size, and ease of use.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I have the Hyperlite and the DJ XL and really like both. I will use my Hyperlite for backpacking and the DJ XL for car camping and short hikes. I like the DJ XL better than the Hyperlite, because it is more versatile with the double layer. I also like the size of the DJ XL better, but the hyperlite is still very comfy.
    I have the HHSS for both sizes and use it with an UQ when it is cold. I like to protect my UQ, and would get an UC if I didn't have the HHSS already.
    "No whining in the woods"

bajahanger: you like the DJ better, but use the hyper for backpacking... is that because of the weight (about 1 pound if I recall), bulk, both, or other reason?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hanginvirgin View Post
    I am new to your world, and would like to give hangin' a try. Based on my location (Florida), and the fact that we have a good amount of bugs here, I am considerin' the Deep Jungle as an option (double layer = skeeter free livin' apparently...?) I am also weighing the possibility of a Hyperlite, most notably the ability to add the super-shelter if I desire (and about one pound less weight).

Can anyone help me in my decision here... do I go Hyperlite and just add another layer or spray with permethrin when the skeeters are thick, or do I go with the Deep Jungle and add layers or retrofit something when it gets cooler...? OR do I consider a completely different model (or manufacturer) for that matter.

Certainly may end up with multiple hammocks in the future, but would like to get the most versatile that I can for starters.
    If sketters is the problem, I suggest you treat the hammock with permethrin for the warm weather when your not using insulation, permethrin is an insect repellant for fabric that when used on clothing lasts through 6 washings, so used on a hammock and bug net is lasts a long time, its made by sawyer.

This way you can use which ever hammock you prefer without the concern of bugs, hope this helps

I Certainly would like the weight reduction in the Hyperlite. Does the Permethrin effect the integrity of the materials over time?

For those with Hyperlites, what do you think... how do you like them?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hanginvirgin View Post
    Does the Permethrin effect the integrity of the materials over time?
    No.
    I have been a constant user of Permethrin for over 5 years now. All of my hammocks (well, most) get at least one treatment a year, including my Deep Jungles, which use the same fabric as the Hyperlites. One of my hammocks has been treated heavily for those 5+ years, no signs of harm from the Peremethrin whatsoever.
    Trust nobody!

Thanks Cannibal. So, you prefer the DJ apparently?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    No, I prefer cheeseburgers and funnel cake, so the Hyperlites are out.
    What I like about the DJs is the fabric. If I could sleep comfortably in a Hyperlite, I'd probably be all over them. That fabric is very comfortable.
    Trust nobody!

Wow... I love this forum... the more info you get, the more questions it creates.

How is the fabric different? Unfortunately I am new to this world, and haven't actually seen one, just heard good things about the HH. I am about 5'9" and 165... so I am thinkin' I could get by with the hyper...???

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    The reason for the four season (living in Florida) concern is that it still can get a bit cool hear in the winter season (30 - 40 is not uncommon overnight) as well as the desire to use it when I head elsewhere (BWCA in northern MN a couple weeks ago = 30* at night).
    I personally don't consider 30-40*F four season camping, but a Floridian would probably freeze in those temperatures. That stated, when I owned a Deep Jungle I comfortably used only the bubble pad to freezing. I am a warm sleeper, so I should preface that and I prefer sub-freezing outings. I wouldn't trust the bubble pad below that.

I also only use an UQ. I sold my DJ with a heavy heart because I knew I'd never use it save car camping. As comfortable as the material is I knew I'd never use it backpacking due to the weight penalty. As I've recently lost a great deal of weight I've personally debated looking at the Hyperlite or the 1.1 oz netted hammock from another vendor. I will probably go with the competitor as I've become more accustomed to the hang of it.
    Im sure you can't go wrong with either the DJ or the Hyperlite.

...oh yeah. I took my DJ to 14*F with moderate winds and a 20*F UQ and was toasty.
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast