Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie

Tahoe Rim Trail?

The Tahoe Rim Trail is a 165 mile trail (which is currently extended to 170 due to a detour) which circles Lake Tahoe. I've pretty much decided that this will be my first extended thru hike since it's just 80 miles from my house and it can be done in under 2 weeks.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has done this trail? If so what time of year did you do it? One of the big issues for decided what time of year to do this trail is that I want to fit it after the snow melt (which can be as late as June in some spots but can, on a heavy year, extend into August) and before the fire restrictions go into effect (which is usually some time in July but often as early as June).

The reason for the fire restriction limit is that I'd like to use a wood stove like the TATO Element so I can reduce fuel weight. But once the fire restrictions are in effect there are no campfires or BBQs allowed. I'm pretty sure that will include a wood fire stove.

If I push the date out to September or October I'll have reasonable weather, no bugs, but I'll have to carry fuel which still may not be too heavy. I'm just trying to think ahead.

Also, from all the photos I've seen and from the hiking I've done in the area there doesn't seem to be any problem finding trees to hang from. There will be some areas above the tree line and at least one 10,000' peak. As long as you can hike down into the tree line before dark it should be fine.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this trail?

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    I have been wondering the same things. There is a decent book on the Tahoe Rim Trail that answers some of them but I am concerned about a lack of trees as well. Hopefully someone has some hints.
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Solution!!!! Sleep in a TREE

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I've never done the whole hike but only sections. My son and I bikepacked from Mt Rose meadow to Spooner in mid-August. We ran into several groups doing the whole hike. The link below is the organization they belonged to. Through this club, they had had their resupply dialed in. Check it out.

http://www.tahoerimtrail.org/

S

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Thanks for the link sidewinder. This is next on my list after the JMT. Trying to plan a 15 day route for next year.
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Solution!!!! Sleep in a TREE

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    My experience is limited to the area that is coincidental with the PCT. It was all hang-able, and everything around the area looked hang-able. Its a real wonderful section of trail. I was out there just after the 4th of July this year. Great weather at that point. I'll probably make a point to come out to the area again..even though it is all the way across the country. Have a great time.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    From the altitude it appears to be below the tree line. The vast majority of it being below 10,000 feet. I would love to do 1 or 2 sections before I try the whole thing. Plus, it's only about 60 miles from my house.

Hammock
    Hennessey Asym
    Insulation
    Reflective
    I took 10 scouts out on the TRT this past July. We started at Echo lake and went to Tahoe City. There were a tremendous amount of mosquitoes when we went. It was probably one of the most beautiful hikes I have been on in my years of hiking. I have to say that there are some good elevation changes, but plenty of points to filter water.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by twenty3digits View Post
    I took 10 scouts out on the TRT this past July. We started at Echo lake and went to Tahoe City. There were a tremendous amount of mosquitoes when we went. It was probably one of the most beautiful hikes I have been on in my years of hiking. I have to say that there are some good elevation changes, but plenty of points to filter water.
    The Tahoe Rim Trail Association which Sidewinder pointed out has excellent maps which show not only the trail, but warn you where there are stretches of no water.

It sounds like I should buy some extra vacation time and keep preparing physically for the trip.

I'm excited. This would be the biggest, longest distance trip I've ever done.

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    Like Chop all my experience is on the PCT portion of the TRT.

What I heard from other hikers that have hiked the whole thing is the PCT part is the best part of that trail.

You spend a lot of time hiking through ski slopes. I passed through that area in July and the wild flowers were pretty spectacular.

We're thinking of doing TRT in July 2013, but a bit worried about mosquitoes. Some posts seem to say it's miserable, others imply there aren't many there. Is it handleable or just for a small section (seems like Desolation Wilderness is most of the problem)? Is there a better time of year, or does it not matter too much, and you just roll the dice?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast