Dutch 11' Argon
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks

Footprint as a Tarp?

Wanted to know if anyone has used a tent footprint as a tarp. I myself am getting a WL Tadpole, but my friend is getting into Hammock Camping and they seem to be cheaper than most tarps. Just wondering if y'all have had any success?
    "Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory"
    - Ed Viesturs

CHerring

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    My buddy and I took a footprint as a "just in case" tarp for a trip to the Winds. When it rained we pulled it out and realized that it just didn't work out well. Though I would imagine that with some work you could find an ideal footprint.

To be honest, I don't have a whole lot of backpacking experience but I do have a footprint for use as a tarp and have set it up as such once or twice. The main difference I believe would be the weight of the fabric, footprints tend to be heavier duty than most camping tarps because they are on the ground and need more puncture resistance. I agree with SLCpod though, there are certainly ones out there that would work well for you, just have to find one with a good shape/ size.

I've used a footprint from a 6 person tent several time (this is the one I have).

It works well enough. Doesn't pitch quite as tight as a cat-cut tarp and it's heavier than silnylon, but for around $23 I think it was a good buy.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    They are great piece of gear, inexpensive, a little heavy, great backup and can be used as a ground cloth under the hammock.

I have one around as an option for guest hammockers on trips and it sees a lot of use there.

Always through it in to the truck when car camping and it finds use as a wind block or sun shade.

Just handy to have around and they are always on closeout at places like Kelty.

I bought a Footprint to use as a fly. It was much cheaper, mine is light weight, has tabs on it already for tie outs. The only thing is that you generally need a huge tent to get a decent sized footprint. In my experience the foot prints are a little smaller than the "listed" size of the tent. It makes sense you don't want a 10.6 footprint on a 10 x 10 tent. It would just be a mess and collect rain of the tent right into the foot print.

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use these for my kids, and always bring a few to the group hangs for others to barrow. I've used them in all conditions and they work great. If you're using the attached loops for hanging, you may need a drip line so water doesn't run into the tarp and drip onto your gear. I usually pitch them in the diamond configuration.

Michael

Hammock
    ROAMING GNOME!!!
    Tarp
    Big Daddy/Toxaway
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cherring View Post
    Wanted to know if anyone has used a tent footprint as a tarp. I myself am getting a WL Tadpole, but my friend is getting into Hammock Camping and they seem to be cheaper than most tarps. Just wondering if y'all have had any success?
    Another really inexpensive option might be:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...aspx?a=1148204

On the diagonal it should be about 12' and with shipping costs about $30. it would be a diamond configuration which means he would only need 2 stakes. Coverage isn't as ample as a hex tarp but if you pitch it tight it should keep him dry.

edit: I had one of their 11 x 11 tarps as my first tarp and it was great (I have no DIY skills so I always pitched it on the diagonal)

• + New Posts