Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    great video, sorry about your knee, i feel your pain... can't wait for the 2nd installment!! you and fronkey are making really miss the mn woods
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    Man, I just love a backwoods quandary......your new hat is swift.
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Real hikers don't need no stickin maps. They can lost perfectly well with out them.

Great to see you are out in the woods again.

No pork brains with that blueberry cheese ?
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Burrow
    Suspension
    Bridge
    It's tough hitting middle age (if we plan to live to 110 . . . . its the middle Shug). I know exactly what you are experiencing with the knee. Last month I had to cut my 42 mile solo trip on the Black Forest Trail in half due to a foot injury. It was very disappointing not being able to finish but I allowed common sense to prevail. I planned that trip all summer only to have to cut it short. I was even recording it to post on HF. It would have been sheer stupidity and reckless to put myself in a position where I could not get out.

I think I'm invincible at my age but I'm still dealing with the foot injury 2 weeks later. I have to constantly remind myself that while I'm in great shape, I'm not as physically young as I use to be. Time to head to the doctor to get it checked out. This injury will not keep me off the trail!

I did get to spend 2 fabulous days in remote PA backcountry! The leaves were just starting to turn and the air was crisp.

Shug, your videos are fabulous and a joy to watch.
    Last edited by FreeRange; 10-06-2012 at 21:24.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Hennessy Typhoon
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    woopies
    He said something about a "hiking plan" he left with his wife. Is this something I should do with a group, or just solo? BTW im not man enough to go solo.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtime View Post
    He said something about a "hiking plan" he left with his wife. Is this something I should do with a group, or just solo? BTW im not man enough to go solo.
    I leave hiking plans with my wife everytime I go out, even if its just a simple text telling her the trail name, departure point, and expected return time. I do this even for the short trails around my area that I can do in an hour or less. For me its common courtesy and a bit of insurance for just in case. Never know when you might snap an ankle somewhere that people don't frequent. Or worse with hunting season open, encounter an unsafe hunter in woods and have the unthinkable occur.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Alone, wounded and afraid in his native environment. What happens next to the wild creature known as 'Shug' on Mutual of Omaha's Wild Hammock Kingdom.
    Tune in next week, or whenever the next vid comes up.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jayf124 View Post
    Thanks for taking us on your adventure, Shug. Great to see an experienced, yet humble, outdoorsman share an experience that we've all had but won't always admit to. Glad your knee is healing well. Looking forward to part deux!
    Jay
    It was sorta fun to face some adversity! Knee is OK. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    waiting on part 2 of the trip..how is his knee holding up? Did Shug make it out alive or is his wife posting under his name to keep us from knowing the truth
    Eventually my knee will need some cutting.....but for now just strengthening and braces and tape and balm.

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    great video, sorry about your knee, i feel your pain... can't wait for the 2nd installment!! you and fronkey are making really miss the mn woods
    The MN woods are truly in high glory right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickery View Post
    Man, I just love a backwoods quandary......your new hat is swift.
    It is nifty chapeau. Will go with your "young guy" hat well. Lets chomp some nasty canned product soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Real hikers don't need no stickin maps. They can lost perfectly well with out them.

Great to see you are out in the woods again.

No pork brains with that blueberry cheese ?
    No sir....let the brains far away. That cheese was delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Panomad View Post
    It's tough hitting middle age (if we plan to live to 110 . . . . its the middle Shug). I know exactly what you are experiencing with the knee. Last month I had to cut my 42 mile solo trip on the Black Forest Trail in half due to a foot injury. It was very disappointing not being able to finish but I allowed common sense to prevail. I planned that trip all summer only to have to cut it short. I was even recording it to post on HF. It would have been sheer stupidity and reckless to put myself in a position where I could not get out.

I think I'm invincible at my age but I'm still dealing with the foot injury 2 weeks later. I have to constantly remind myself that while I'm in great shape, I'm not as physically young as I use to be. Time to head to the doctor to get it checked out. This injury will not keep me off the trail!

I did get to spend 2 fabulous days in remote PA backcountry! The leaves were just starting to turn and the air was crisp.

Shug, your videos are fabulous and a joy to watch.
    I know...no matter what shape we are in a part can blow on ya' out there. Not fun but the common sense rule is best.
    What did you do to the foot?

Quote Originally Posted by Overtime View Post
    For sure solo but always good to let someone know the plan and return. I write mine out and put it by our phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    I leave hiking plans with my wife everytime I go out, even if its just a simple text telling her the trail name, departure point, and expected return time. I do this even for the short trails around my area that I can do in an hour or less. For me its common courtesy and a bit of insurance for just in case. Never know when you might snap an ankle somewhere that people don't frequent. Or worse with hunting season open, encounter an unsafe hunter in woods and have the unthinkable occur.
    Truth spoken....

Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    Alone, wounded and afraid in his native environment. What happens next to the wild creature known as 'Shug' on Mutual of Omaha's Wild Hammock Kingdom.
    Tune in next week, or whenever the next vid comes up.
    I like Wild Hammock...... "my wild hammock doze....the sweetest slumber I knows"
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Burrow
    Suspension
    Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I know...no matter what shape we are in a part can blow on ya' out there. Not fun but the common sense rule is best.
    What did you do to the foot?
    I actually hurt it road biking last year (feet are clipped into clipless pedals). Went to a podiatrist who treated it with steroid injection and rest. During this trip, I hit a rock sideways on the trail and reinjured the same area. By the end of the day I was limping but needed to put in two more miles to stay on plan. That was before I made the decision to rest up and hike out the next day.

I need to go to a orthopedic (sports) surgeon to fix this right.

BTW, my brother-in-law went to Clown College in Venice. I believe he was a couple of years in back of your graduating class. He ended up performing with the Red Show.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Panomad View Post
    I actually hurt it road biking last year (feet are clipped into clipless pedals). Went to a podiatrist who treated it with steroid injection and rest. During this trip, I hit a rock sideways on the trail and reinjured the same area. By the end of the day I was limping but needed to put in two more miles to stay on plan. That was before I made the decision to rest up and hike out the next day.

I need to go to a orthopedic (sports) surgeon to fix this right.

BTW, my brother-in-law went to Clown College in Venice. I believe he was a couple of years in back of your graduating class. He ended up performing with the Red Show.
    Jimmy T....?
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast