Hammock
    OX Gear
    Tarp
    OX Shed
    Insulation
    Custom m50 HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Here is my thoughts on synthetic, which bear in mind may be wrong as I am a complete noob. I bought a kelty comsic mummy bag (first thing I bought) before I knew about hammocks and all I know is that it's way to freakin big. I am assuming that is due to the fact that it's synthetic this not compressing as well as down.

So with that if a synthetic uq is the same way I will have to pass on that.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I just did a DIY tablecloth hammock for a friend. Cost about $20 total. I liked it almost as much as my Lite Owl.....(almost) He was very excited.

If at all possible, I'd go ahead and get the down now. If you don't, you will probably just end up buying another UQ in the future. Of course, you may end up doing that anyway. This stuff is addictive.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by ByronAlpha View Post
    ^^^. Grannypat. That was also something I was thinking.

How long on average would you say it takes. Am i already possibly pushing it?

I love this forum.

I'm trying to also track down someone local to borrow a UQ for this trip. I have a few people making some calls.
    I suggest you contact a few and see if they can rush one for you.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    if you are just starting out and IF you CAN borrow - that is the way to go. Why buy something based on looks or reviews just to find out you don't like it.

Plus, it may be pushing to get one quickly from one of our fine cottage vendors - they get real busy this time of year....
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    WBBB double 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag,HG UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    I've never used a "uq" I just use my sleeping bag ps" mummy not sure th benifits of a "uq"?
    Dearly And Sincerely, Jonah! of the B B B!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is my thoughts on synthetic, which bear in mind may be wrong as I am a complete noob. I bought a kelty comsic mummy bag (first thing I bought) before I knew about hammocks and all I know is that it's way to freakin big. I am assuming that is due to the fact that it's synthetic this not compressing as well as down.

So with that if a synthetic uq is the same way I will have to pass on that.
    There are different types of synthetic insulation. Among the best is Climashield and that is what Arrowhead Equipment uses. Granted it doesn't compress as well as down, but it compresses much more than the typical synthetic bags found at the big box outdoor retailers. There is also the cost factor. The down quilts cost almost double what synthetic ones do. However that comes down to the old triangle of choices of which you can pick 2.

1) cheap
    2) compressible
    3) warm

Climashield is cheap and warm, but lacks compressibility. Down is compressible and warm but it ain't cheap.

If you are set on a down underquilt, then I would make one of the DIY tablecloth hammocks for cheap, however that is going to lack an integrated bugnet.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    ^^^. Grannypat. That was also something I was thinking.

How long on average would you say it takes. Am i already possibly pushing it?

I love this forum.

I'm trying to also track down someone local to borrow a UQ for this trip. I have a few people making some calls.
    In my experience, if you go with Wilderness Logics you will get it quick. Keep you eye on the For Sale forum and you can probably pick up a nice hammock for less $$.
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 10-06-2012 at 19:54.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Okay looking for some pushing for the order in which I obtain my gear. First a little background. Have not camped in 10 years and for some reason was bite by the bug out of the blue 6 months ago. Signed a few buddies up for the ride and will be taking a 4 days hike in the Cohutta WMA in 2 weeks.

I started buying gear since I had nothing, about 3 months ago. Got introduced to hammocks a couple of months back and have not looked back. I was able to borrow a HH explorer xl and love it.

I bought a pad last week only to find out I hate pads and want a UQ. So need to make a decision about insulation.

So this leaves me here. Trying to figure out the UQ situation. I have roughly an extra 200 to spend on camping stuff. I can either buy an UQ from a cottage or make one DIY. I actually went out and bought a few down pillows and was heading the DIY route. I am starting to 2nd guess that.

If you were me how would you spend the 200?

Should I just buy the UQ from a cottage? But that leaves me with a borrowed hammock for the trip which is fine but obviously I will need my own ASAP.

Or should I try my hand at sewing and make a DIY UQ and then just buy a warbird hammock? The DIY is starting to worry me and I wonder if that is something to tinker with after I have a quality UQ.
    I hate a pad, but then there's the double layer option. I use DLs and enjoy them with pads. Pads are awful, but when it's pinched between two layers of fabric, it sort of works, you know? So spend $50 ($40 for the DL work and $10 for the pad) and save money on a UQ (which you SHOULD buy later when funds amass). Admittedly, temps didn't get below 50 degrees, but my last trip included a $7 reflectex truck windshield sunscreen which kept me plenty warm. Lots of good vendors offer DL hammocks. It saves you from borrowing someone else's stuff.

Bugs are less of a problem now than a month ago. Tough it out if you can.

So, all said and done, you can get:
    Sil-polyester tarp - $25
    Hammock and suspension - $65.00
    Double layer - $40.00
    Pad - $10
    TOTAL - $140

Maybe you CAN afford that UQ...
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Buy the UQ and you will not regret it. Then again my sewing is horrible.
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Solution!!!! Sleep in a TREE

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Burrow
    Suspension
    Bridge
    Hammock Gear (www.hammockgear.com) makes fabulous UQ/TQ. If you email Adam/Jenny by Sunday eve, they should be able to accommodate your needs with a quality UQ. Better yet, call them on Monday. Adam can guide your decision.

You could watch the forum for used gear but you are taking a chance as you may not get what you want when you need it. Used gear seems to go quickly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast