BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Webbn w/Whoopies

BIAS Bug net

Hey guys....I did a DIY bug net with some sheers(gathered under hammock with shock cord).....not bad.....BUT it seems like they are not "deep" enough....vertically.....when I get in my BIAS hammock and sinch it up.....I still end up with a BIG hole about the size of a dinner plate under my backside.....that always seems to work it's way up to my face!.....I can wake up in the night...and know where it is by the cooler air

soooo..... It looks like the BAIS bug net is made the same.....is that the case??.....I might guess that there's is "taller" so you can gather correctly???

My buddy has a ENO bugnet and I like the way it zips and unzips on the side....but it looks WAY too short for a BAIS.

It could be just my BIG butt weighing the hammock down

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I use the ENO Guardian on my BIAS WWM with no problems.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Webbn w/Whoopies
    no problems with length?......The ENO hammock seems way shorter that the BIAS...interesting.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Sticks out about 8 inches on each end. Doesn't close up as well on the ends as the ENO but it hasn't been a problem but I could put a bandanna in each end to block the opening. I'll be sleeping in it tonight.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    I took my personal BIAS bugnet and trimmed it shorter than our customer version (meaning the distance from the ridgeline to the bottom area where the shock cord draws up).

I did this to trim weight and bulk. When I'm in my favorite double layer hammock and cinch the net shut under me, it leaves a large hole... way larger than the dinner plate hole you mention. In fact, it just tucks enough to hold under the hammock. I call it perfect because it holds in place perfectly and offers enough coverage to wrap me completely -- except underneath where my double layer offers enough protection.

While I am mosquito-phobic, I like this because as long as the net seals under my hammock, critters can't get at me. Whether the opening is the size of a silver dollar or the size of a pizza box, or the size of mine, I don't find it troublesome because the bungee pulls against the hammock bottom and creates that seal. Some might say critters can bite through the hole in the bottom through your single layer hammock, but I am usually clothed and/or on top of a blanket or pad or using a UQ.

I spent four days in rainy weather in the woods of southern Missouri where mosquitos were active and while they bit me around the camp fire, they didn't get me in my net.

I am not sure the size of the opening matters as long as that bungee seal is created. Some may disagree, but that's my take. I am sure areas with more crawlies and a denser mosquito population might challenge this concept (I think of a summer experience in Reelfoot Lake, though the size of the hole seemed a non-issue to me versus the cloud of mosquitos that virtually nothing could stop).
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Webbn w/Whoopies
    I agree Brain.....mine will "seal" under me as well.....the problem I have is that seal will move.....if it stayed under me I would be golden.....but I will wake up and that hole has moved to the side...and I have a plate size hole at my face.

again...mine are DYI so it my be the issues???....not sure.

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Seems like you need some way to secure the net to your ridgeline so it will stop shifting while you sleep
    -Jon-

Images
    Second!

I don't really try to close the hole in my BIAS Buginator net on my BIAS WW DL. I just cinch it up enough to have some slight tension on the sides of my hammock. Its a DL so I dont worry about skeets or if cool enough the PLUQ takes care of it.

Never had a problem with bugs getting in or "hole creep", it sounds like your DIY may be cinched up to tight.
    Last edited by swankfly; 10-07-2012 at 06:42.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I have a BIAS hammock and have made both the Fronkey bug net out of noseeum and done a couple of the polyester sheer ones the same way. They have all worked great, even though the shears are much shorter up and down than the noseeum. I have also modified the end openings to 1" to pass the whoopies through, but still do a tie off with a piece of line.
    I also use the underquilt protector a lot with my under quilt.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Quote Originally Posted by Athens-m50 View Post
    I agree Brain.....mine will "seal" under me as well.....the problem I have is that seal will move.....if it stayed under me I would be golden.....but I will wake up and that hole has moved to the side...and I have a plate size hole at my face.

again...mine are DYI so it my be the issues???....not sure.
    Not sure on this one. We've tested a lot of these and ours tend to hold in place. They don't want to move around much and if the net does wiggle a bit, it still holds the seal and doesn't come out from underneath the hammock. There are a few Buginators out there, so maybe another owner can offer up some more info that will help you with your DIY net. We've had good results with our testing and we shipped out a few prototypes early on. While our first few designs needed some work, the issue you mention was never cited as a problem. Assuming we're using the same design -- and it seems we are, generically speaking -- then it's a tough one to figure out.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast