Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Piscean Hiker; Passion is my Virtue

I walk around the South Eastern part of Wisconsin (42.70, -88.30; 43.12, -87.97) and will be extending my travels both in distance and endurance in no particular direction and to no determined limit. I have a background in software languages, advocating rational deduction, and practicing open and sustainable principals; I research economic theory (market principals), wilderness survival (long-distance walking and outdoors living), nutrition (raw-vegan diet), and psychological analysis (philosophy; why, why, how). I intend to provide a friendly and comforting environment for my wellbeing, and others within my sphere of influence, to prosper, this may be confined to the available resources of selected communities or of nomadic individuals; regardless of where I am or who I am with, any flow of thought will be appreciated and valued upon its relative and practical application.

----

This is my equipment list; first is a priority (prevention, treatment, utility, comfort) listing of owned items, then a newline separating pending.
    {Item: "Description [Manufacturer|Distributor]" weight-metric url}

Visit WTB section, http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...d.php?p=827753, for specifics.

Bottle-Water: 2L PETE (x2)
    Sponge Abrasive
    Brush-Tooth
    Thread-Tooth
    Tent: "Ultralite Backpacker Asym [Hennessy Hammock]" 860g http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/s..._asym_classic/
    Plug-Ear
    Bag-Sleep: "Super Spiral Down Hugger 3 [Montbell]" 879g http://www.montbell.us/products/disp...7&p_id=2321143
    Light-Mini: "e+Lite Emergency Headlamp with Whistle [Petzl]" 27g http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SARHV6
    Light-Head: "Tactikka XP Headlamp [Petzl]" 95g http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J927LM
    Light-Hand: "TA21 225 Lumen Tactical LED Flashlight [Fenix]" 227g http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FCYN2W
    Pillow: "UL Comfort Pillow [Montbell]" 68g http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=1124290
    Razor: "SR2 Straight Edge Razor with Steel Blade Arm & 7AM Platinum Blades" ?? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002D8C83E

Bag-Pack
    Bag-Sack
    Wear-Torso-Base
    Wear-Foot-Base
    Wear-Head-Base
    Wear-Foot
    Wear-Head
    Wear-Hand
    Wear-Chest
    Wear-Torso
    Wear-Rope
    Tarp
    Towel
    Knife
    Incendiary-Ignitor
    Incendiary
    Stove
    Rope
    Bag-Water
    Filtration-Water-Pre
    Filtration-Water
    Purification
    Disinfectant
    Needle
    Detergent
    Tissue
    Blanket-Thermal
    Medical-Sponge
    Medical-Adhesive
    Medical-Glove
    Medical-Mask
    Wear-Eye
    Repellent
    Bag-Bear
    Trowel
    Meter-Pedi
    Meter-Magnetic
    Meter-Time
    Balm-Lip
    Mirror
    Pump
    Pad
    Stove-Windscreen
    Scope
    Pole
    Tape-Adhesive
    Tape-Reflective
    Meter-Tape
    Thread
    Meter-Weight
    Meter-Temp
    Meter-Water
    Cook-Accessories
    Band
    Syringe
    Utensil
    Radio
    GPS
    Bag-Waist
    Camera
    Shovel
    Generator-Solar
    EBook
    Satellite
    Meter-Electrical
    Corkscrew
    Last edited by RousedOwlet; 10-08-2012 at 12:56.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Welcome to the forums from Indiana. That's quite a list.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Not sure about the relative or practical value of my post, but welcome to HF.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY DL gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11 ft cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY down diff cut
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    And you like words...alot! Lol
    Welcome to HF from Greenville SC
    "Live your life so that your children can tell their children that you not only stood for something wonderful- you acted on it"
    -Dan Zadra

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch/Dynaglide
    Welcome from Chester, SC.

Hammock
    homemade
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    homemade UQ
    Suspension
    tree straps
    Images
    welcome from New Zealand it sure is a great site these are a great bunch of people to hang out with

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quite an intro and list. Welcome!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Inquiry of Prevention

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Quite an intro and list. Welcome!
    That list is a duplication of a more detailed and specific outline I have documented, I'm contemplating its value in this thread; my objective for this thread is to provide information so that others may evaluate both my personality and preparedness. As is with everything of value, this list is continually changing -subtractions, additions, ...- and I think I'll edit it as I acquire goods.
    My main concerns for the equipment are that it is able to withstand forces of significant impact (can it be dropped from a plane or only from a very high peak?), fits under a yet TBD limit (~11kg), and is easily field replaceable (either through purchase in a rural region or manufactured by the local skilled labor, not requiring special tools or sophisticated knowledge). Perhaps here, it is appropriate to detail my comprehension of the information I have with which I will use to provide the confidence I deem necessary to initiate a prolonged excursion (I've always enjoyed living not within a building).

Medical
    I have no specific medical practice of any kind, I anticipate three types of preventable conditions which have the potential to impede psychological processing and physical functioning; biological and chemical, chemically hazardous source water, animal or plant transfer of disease or poison, untreated infection; physical, falling, fighting, forgetting; psychological, worry, panic, arrogance.
    I consider poisoning to be the greatest risk, both because of its subtly and efficiency; the effects of contact can be delayed as with insect bites and water contamination, or as rapid as the snake which bites. Carbon filtration is only so practical as the /fuel/ does have a price and weight, I have yet to determine its field applicability; is it needed for every stream or only the longer ones with more connections, do I use it with every stagnant source, every marsh and pond? Ticks and mosquitoes are the most familiar; permethrin laced clothing and as scientifically significant herbal|plant based repellent I can research are my chemical components; conscientious path selection will be a very relevant and impromptu application, tall grass is (always?) a thrill to crawl through and trees and water are never far in between; weather permitting, clothing may be an additional layer of protection, but the appreciation of the moment will not be surpassed by the protection of its recollection. Alcohol (cardo I'm :looking: at you) and gauze can only be applied but this is similar to a vaccine or antibiotic, highly useful but only if you've got it (of which I intend to always do).
    Most statistics I'm aware of signify that familiarity is more indicative of person-to-person attacks than acts of desperation or negligence are, theft due to flamboyance and chauvinism due to arrogance are preventable through rationality; perhaps an opportunistic fellow will pass me as I've been stricken with an ailment and will use diligence to promote their probability of preparedness, although prospicience and prudential trust have been lessons Life has endowed me with. The physical, I think, is the most recoverable of situations, I contemplate temporal indisposition or imbalance as annoyances, as reminders and evidence of reason; an ineffectual limb has its associated cost, and as with any price is evaluated with reflection; property|technology can traded and will only have significant impact if delay is prioritized.
    I am contemplative, assertive, and patient; I will suffocate before I worry (notice, different from inquire) where the air is, though I still recognize its existence and appreciate the efficacy of its components. The patient assertiveness, I believe, to be a comfortable union, there are times for immediacy and other moments benefit a delayed insistence; to run from a bear before it is comfortable with your presence expresses a lack of harmony (how to say, neglects indoles) in these qualities and in an appreciation of compassion (for yourself and the bear); to share or to neglect to share a path when traveling with uncertainties. The attainment of psychological realization probabilistically mitigates personal mistakes, the harmful kind, prevents undesirable behaviors, and facilitates a cognitive appreciation of a moment, its consequences and its relation to other moments. The ability to exemplify valid concern, retain that consideration, and explain the relativity of concern to the others in a group (if you do not apply mutual effort to a situation, what incentive do you give to others to positively evaluate you) significantly adjusts the risk probability of the groups (including individual) survivability; this I believe to be my thesis of community risk evaluation.

Navigation
    Maps, the tools to use them, and reliable recording equipment; it is my understanding that with these three items the past, present, and the future of a location can be calculated; to know how to get to 'B' one must first find 'A'. GPS, pedometer, altimeter, and speedometer are electronic modular replacements of a magnetic compass, a map, a standard measuring device of distance (a string, twig, or (oh noes!) your finger) and of time (a chronometer.. err, I mean sunset), and a pencil; if I am mistaking I have yet to comprehend my fallacy, I oblige onto you to correct my error. Knowledge is the binding crux without which any technology or implementation is only guaranteed failure or fortune, I am in the midst of acquiring (what I perceive to be as) adequate technical comprehension of the rudimentary skills necessary to navigate an unfamiliar terrain; references to comprehensive publications are always appreciated.
    The use of maps and regional notifications will be used as advisories into the safety of water sources; is there an operating or abandoned mill up river, possibly some other industrial activity or noticeably recent animal deaths. Records from medial facilities can also be used for water and path evaluation, wells are precursors to flowing bodies and pests spreading disease in backyards can be counted as advisories.

Comestible
    As with most of my endeavors, I have a significant appreciation to that which I must know to continue knowing that which I do and do not yet know; the acquisition, retention, and exertion of body fuel is second to consciousness in my prioritization of existence related requirements. What transportation|packaging weight is no more than 10% (arbitrary) of the comestibles' individual weight, proves negligible risk to spoil, and retains its nutritional value as close to 100%?! Food+Bag-Water-Air=Yummies!
    I have contemplated my actions and preferences, I have only ever be able rationalize the dietary choices Veganism promotes, this provides simplicity to traveling accommodations, invigorating fire-talk (both because of its locality, on the trail over a fire, and in its intensity (people who do not seriously contend their dietary choices have yet to experience the fulfillment of their actions) , and helps to accomplish my second prioritization requirement to the best of my deductive reasoning abilities. I already store most of my foods dried and in sacks, the vegetables and fruits pose contemplation; I have had all my fruits dehydrated (that is to say, bought them so) before but have switched to freeze-dried and have been informed that these items do not require constant cold-temperatures for preservation, I have yet to try vacuum-sealing on these products (waiting for equipment; a reversible pump, a straw, and zip-lock bags should suffice, no?) without refrigeration and have hopes that this method will prove sufficient in retaining the well-being of these consumables for at least 14 days with 30+ preferred; similar concerns apply for the greenery, although most are applicable to the freeze-drying /hypothesis/. As I understand the information, the only difference is in the water-extraction process and storage should be universal for both flash frozen, then dehydrated, and just dehydrated products, although water content may vary differentiating the shelf-life.
    What effect does the removal of oxygen or other relative particles (I'm not familiar with (or have not comprehensively studied) the technical tautology or concepts of this specialty) have on the ability of the foods' odor to radiate? If there are no free-moving molecules inside an impermeable enclosure of dehydrated matter, what cause is there for smell to accumulate, to permeate? Sure, the containers contribute an efficient loss of retention; I have in the queue, the olfactory sensitivity of wilderness animals (specifically the most sensitive), the composites of flexible and inflexible bear-canisters (and their relation to my vacuum bags), and the olfactory permeation of dehydrated comestibles with and without a barrier. Until I am capable of providing a method of complete odor imperceptibility, and a relative guarantee of human non-interference|isolation, I will tie my bag to a tree...

Shelter
    My backpack does not have any specific requirements other than market conventions, lightweight, volume, and large mesh pockets; I believe in modularity and thus orient my choices to fit this paradigm, a rain cover will most always be worn by the pack to prevent excessive water infiltration, harmful radiations (UV), abrasions, and dirt|dust|debris.

Not mentioned are subjects|practices which I have preexisting confidence in and assurances of.

Hammock
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Suspension
    I was expelled
    Images
    welcome from east tenn.
    Ignorance is simply not knowing, Stupidity is knowing and not doing. "Stupidity should be painful"

"Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives oblivious" Agent Smith, The Matrix

Please leave suggestions and comments on our H.O.C.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=57721

Come check out our Creation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uw7-XGKnDU

Insulhammock
    http://camping-hammock.us/

Hammock
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Suspension
    I was expelled
    Images
    woops sorry
    Ignorance is simply not knowing, Stupidity is knowing and not doing. "Stupidity should be painful"

"Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives oblivious" Agent Smith, The Matrix

Please leave suggestions and comments on our H.O.C.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=57721

Come check out our Creation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uw7-XGKnDU

Insulhammock
    http://camping-hammock.us/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast