Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Expedition A-Sym
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hammock
    Insulation
    Blue Pad Cut To Fi

Arrow Looking for Info

Ok', I'm new to this forum and the hammock tent camping has cought my eye. I currently have a four man tent that weighs just over 4 pounds. When I go out for more than a day at a time I usually have one or two other hikers with me so we pull the tent out of the stuff sack and split up tent, rain fly, poles and stakes.

Here is the info I'm looking for:

1) How much does the entire package (Hammock, Rain Fly, Bug Screen, Stakes, ropes and straps) weigh. What brand?

2) Yes size matters. A smaller size will allow me to carry a smaller North Face backpack cutting down on weight from my enternal frame Gregory Palisade backpack. What are the pack sizes and brands?

3) Warmth is another issue. In the high country of Colorado in can get very cold at night and in the really high country there may not be any trees. A) Is there a brand that makes a built in insulator that goes under the hammocK? B) Is there a brand that will allow you to set up as a regular tent when the need arises?

4) What can I expect to pay for a hammock tent that will support 200lbs of me and than my gear?

5) Ok', you knew this one was coming. Does anyone have a short testimonial about what brand you use, why you use it and the benifits over the others?

Thanks,

Tom
    "You can chose your own destiny, and you need the approval of only one person to get started. That person is you!"

"Getting to the top is optional, getting back down is mandatory" ~ Steady Ed Viesturs

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_alan View Post
    Ok', I'm new to this forum and the hammock tent camping has cought my eye. I currently have a four man tent that weighs just over 4 pounds. When I go out for more than a day at a time I usually have one or two other hikers with me so we pull the tent out of the stuff sack and split up tent, rain fly, poles and stakes.

Here is the info I'm looking for:

1) How much does the entire package (Hammock, Rain Fly, Bug Screen, Stakes, ropes and straps) weigh. What brand?

2) Yes size matters. A smaller size will allow me to carry a smaller North Face backpack cutting down on weight from my enternal frame Gregory Palisade backpack. What are the pack sizes and brands?

3) Warmth is another issue. In the high country of Colorado in can get very cold at night and in the really high country there may not be any trees. A) Is there a brand that makes a built in insulator that goes under the hammocK? B) Is there a brand that will allow you to set up as a regular tent when the need arises?

4) What can I expect to pay for a hammock tent that will support 200lbs of me and than my gear?

5) Ok', you knew this one was coming. Does anyone have a short testimonial about what brand you use, why you use it and the benifits over the others?

Thanks,

Tom

Hi welcome to the site. Wow loaded first posts. You dont ask for much.
    I'll give it a shot.

1) Search the hammock manufactorers.http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2 Stakes are not factored in for weight.

2)I love my Mariposa Plus pack. http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/...posa-Plus.html

3)I'm not aware of any built in insulators that are worth a #@&(*
    Underquilts such as those sold by JRB and Speer are the way to go.
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/
    http://www.speerhammocks.com/
    Most brands can be set up ala bivy style and be used on the ground.

4)Anywhere from say $130-$300+
    You could by it used from members here and save a bundle.

5)I personally like my JRB Bear Mountain Bridge hammock the best.
    Sleeps really flat. http://www.jacksrbetter.com/BMBH.htm

Check this site out. You'll be glad you did.
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 11-08-2008 at 17:08.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Oh yea one more thing. Warbonnett guy lives in Fort Collins Colorado (up the road a bit) and sells what appears to be a really cool hammock. The Blackbird. Might consider this one.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/f...splay.php?f=62

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Most of the info you want is pretty well put in Just Jeff's website: http://www.tothewoods.net/. Other than that, the forum has a Hammock Manufacturers section and each brand has a website you can checkout, as well as other sections on the forums.

I guess you would prefer an all in one hammock system, such as a Hennessy or a Clark. I own both and they are really convenient shelters. I prefer the Hennessy, im even gonna buy another one this dec (even though I might instead get a Claytor Jungle to try it out, but im really interested on this holidays promotions at hennessy hammocks). Both hammocks (clark northamerican, expedition hennessyhammock) have over 200 lb load capability. Hennessy hammocks dont come with an insulation systme but there is one sold at their website; the Clark has pockets underneath which you could stuff and get some insulation from that. But I think a Down Underquilt would be the best way to go if you have the money; but maybe a Speer hammock could come witha snugfit uq, other underquilts are made from jacksrbetter.com. Now that i think about it maybe youd like the jacksrbetter bridge hammock.

Anyways, i think its best if you surf around a bit through these forums and check out Just Jeff's page.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    tom alan,

Welcome to the hanging gang's forum...

There are several articles on the JRB site that are general in nature and also talk to considerations of warmth, weight, flexibility etc....the page also cites hammock article links of JJ and Sgt Rock also....http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Articles.htm

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    there's lots of different options/features, this will factor into the weight and size. Size of tarp is a big one, you could go with a really small one like the hh comes with, but most wind up with a much larger one for wind protection and sheltered space in rain or snow.

with the actual hammocks you could go with the lightest fabric or you could go double layer which would be stronger/more durable/heavier but would enable you to place a pad between the layers, which is what you want if you decide to go with a pad.

many if not most eventually end up going with an underquilt. but you can't use a uq on the ground, you would need a pad. so a double layer might be a good choice for someone who isn't sure you can always hang (seems like i can most anywhere up here in northern co). once you get good at hanging you can usually find a way to make it happen. there are several hangers here from arizona and other places in the southwest and they find ways to hang.

also, do you need netting? this can be a big weight/bulk saver if it's not mosquito season, so some have a simple plain netless hammock for use in those seasons.

if you have a 4# tent and split up the weight between 3-4 people, you're likely not going to beat that with a hammock setup, but it won't be much heavier or bulkier, the reason to do it is because of the comfort and the consistent sleep surface. i'd say 2-3# for hammock and tarp would be about average. you're looking at a pretty small stuffsac for each.(maybe 5"x11")

all camping hammocks can be set up on the ground as a bivy, but almost all have uncoated non-waterproof bodies since you want a breathable body in warm weather. this could be a problem if you went to ground in rain, without a groundcloth, but it's not something you are likely to have to deal with in colorado. you'll probably find you can hang most of the time unless you camp with ground dwellers who require a flat spot (not necessarily with trees nearby). if you are alone or with other hangers, you can just seek out the trees when it's time to camp.

definately check out jeff's site linked above (tothewoods.net) for hammock hanging 101.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Expedition A-Sym
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hammock
    Insulation
    Blue Pad Cut To Fi
    Thanks for all the info ~ I will start checking all of these out. I really would like to see one and hold it before buying one. However, I have looked at Sports Authority in Pueblo and ****'s Sporting Goods and REI in Colorado Springs without any luck. Any suggestions?
    "You can chose your own destiny, and you need the approval of only one person to get started. That person is you!"

"Getting to the top is optional, getting back down is mandatory" ~ Steady Ed Viesturs

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_alan View Post
    Thanks for all the info ~ I will start checking all of these out. I really would like to see one and hold it before buying one. However, I have looked at Sports Authority in Pueblo and ****'s Sporting Goods and REI in Colorado Springs without any luck. Any suggestions?
    You could have REI in Col Springs have a Hennessy hammock shipped to them at that store. Try it out. If you dont like it, return it with their great no questions asked policy.

My major conclusions from testing both the Clark NA Jungle hammock and the Hennessy:

1. The Hennessy A-sym models offer superior sleeping comfort, which is what you need to keep going the next day.

2. The Hennessy is simple and quick to set up.

3. The Clark is the best choice for your actual camping, supreme practicalities like the pockets for organizing gear and clothes and better for sitting in during cooking and so on.

4. The Clark is more challenging to put up than the Hennessy, even though I am quite good with ropes and knots.

I prefer the Hennessy, being 193 cm (too much for the clark). Yet I miss the practical nature of the Clark, and would like to try their new XL version.

Regarding warmth, consider to get a good pad instead of underquilts and other fancy solutions (see my post made earlier today). More important is to get the over cover for the Hennessy, or to use the Weather Shield for the Clark. Those will keep your nose warm.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    For what I carry:
    1) 3 lb 3 oz. But, you should also add in the weight of a pad or something to keep you warm. For me this is a 1/4" ccf pad and SPE, about 12 oz. Total 3 lb 15 oz. Not a big savings over your tent, but a lot more comfortable.

2) I use a ULA catalyst or ULA artic pack. Also have a ULA circuit, but it's kind of hard on my back.

3) I use a ccf pad and SPE. Been good down to the high 30's, but I sleep much warmer than most people. If I need more warmth, it's easy to add another ccf pad or a thicker one.

4) I guess I spent about $300 for the above (hammock, tarp, straps & pad)?

5) I use a Claytor expedition hammock modified to use a ring buckle strap system, MacCat deluxe tarp and 66" X 20" X 1/4" pad with a Speer SPE with 5" X 20" X 1/4" side wings. I like that the Claytor hammocks can goto ground very easily and look just like a tent when set up under the MacCat tarp. I also like the double bottom of the Claytor, making it much more comfortable than sleeping on a pad directly.

The only thing I'm thinking about changing is the MacCat tarp to a rectangular tarp which will allow me to close in the ends during windy rain storms.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast