Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web

The most expensive camping trip I ever took

So I had 2 days off, which when you combine me with free time, camping gear and a dual sport motorcycle you get trouble...

So I decided to take off, general destination Florida, just so I can say I pee'd in 3 different states.

I took off down 17 and saw a sign for Edisto State Park, and having not been in my adult life and hearing about it on here a time or two, I figured I'd swing by. Unfortunately I was sorely disappointed, as there was no group accommodations (always looking for more group hang options for us!) and no beach side spaces available even tho there was a ton open. Oh well. I also spoke to a few rangers with less than stellar results overall but, what can you do? But they did suggest that I check out Hunting Beach, so I headed that way.

Soon, I blew through Beaufort, thinking of Capt Smiley the whole way and keeping a hand on my knife the whole way thru, then hit some sort of stupid traffic going to (I think) Lady's Island. Being on a bike and smarter than most tourists, I quickly jumped over one street and shot up to the bridge, bypassing all the traffic that was at a standstill.

I got to the park and was quoted the second expensive camping price of the day, somewhere around $35 for ONE night on a site with only water. But it was right on the beach and next to the bathrooms, so no worries, or so I thought...

I finally decide on staying, and realize that I didnt bring quite enough stuff with me and I didnt stop at any stores along the way since I had planned on stealth camping. No towel, no food, and no wood. FML, oh well. I end up buying a $30 Grand Trunk camping towel, soap and container for said soap, can of soup, box of graham crackers and peanut butter long with some "fat wood" fire starter wood in a bag to use in my Element stove (more on this in a bit).

The site I picked I thought was perfect, save for the fact the bathroom light (the womans "dont rape me" light) was aimed right at the hammock and I was in direct path of the incoming cars headlights, which sucked until about 10. I setup the hammock in the last bit of daylight and made some of my purchases here and there, and ended up finishing the setup in the dark. All was well until the ranger pulled up (and I mean THE ranger, the ones that have guns...) because the sight of a 6ft tall tattooed guy wandering shirtless around camp with an axe is a startling sight and he needed to "check me out", which means run me thru the cop database....fun. Anyway, he finds out I'm NOT an axe murderer and all goes well.

I cooked my can of soup right before he got here using a few limbs someone left behind and some "fat wood". A word of advice...dont use the wood burning stove on a wooden picnic table top. Ask me why....and then go look for the burn shaped like an Element stove on the table of site 2 at Hunting Island park... I ended up pouring water under the stove to put out the fire....

Also no one told me about the 3 am raccoon feeding....that I was the only person doing apparently. I had a whole, 4 pack box of crackers and I stuck the plastic knife that had just a little peanut butter residue on it and the furry *******s tore the box in HALF to get them out. So when I got up to try to scare them off, they just looked at me. One of the three left, but the other two sat there, and actually begged for food. So I ended up with one sitting at my feet doing the begging motion and the other, well, on my lap! I gave them a few crackers then shooed them away, put away the food in my saddle bags and then "marked my territory" as it were... No rain all night even tho it called for it, and busted out my 20* UGQ UQ and was nice with no top quilt and my BIAS Buginator.

The next day, I headed to Florida. For some reason I was looking at the GPS with a "crooked" eye and thought that Florida was 15 minutes away. Well I was wrong....

But I got there anyway. My goal was to go to the Florida Visitors Center, then try to find a place I used to go to as a kid which I think is the Citrus Center but m still not convinced....

I picked up a shark in a jar and a huge paperweight then headed back to SC, but only got so far as Hardeeville before my butt gave up and told me to get a hotel. Now, I knew I wasn't in the best area, but when it was cheaper to get a hotel then to camp, and the prospect of a nice private room, I was all over it. Well, the first room had a hole in the bathtub the size of my boot, so I got another which smelled like wet carpet, but whatever. The biggest issue was there was NOTHING to eat! I had to cal Georgia to find pizza, but no one would come, so I ended up with Burger King (and yes, I thought about cooking on the stove again...) and dry popcorn chicken and bottles of drinks. Not the worst way to spend the day.

Now comes Saturday, and I have to get home and get ready for work, so I hit the road earlier than I would have otherwise and hauled it back up 17 to Charleston, with no other major hiccups. The bike did develop a starting issue while I was out and about, but it didnt let me down and I had a great time.

I love impromptu trips like this! Great for the mind and soul. Oh, and that towel, it weights 6oz (1oz more than my stove!!!) and is SUPER absorbent, albeit kinda rough (think tacky). And can be worn as a skirt/sarong.

and these were to recreate a trip that changed my life

Last edited by default; 10-06-2012 at 22:25.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The joys of traveling
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I do miss those impromptu trips. Can't do them so much any more, what with a family and all. Even when things seem like they aren't working out they are still great to take.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs
    Hey REV,

Sounds like quite the trip. At least you have a few good stories to tell us.
    Take care,
    Bluefin

Bluefin's Videos

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    That racoon business had me laughing!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You may not think it, but to me this is inspiring! Can't wait until I'm fit to go see what troube I can get myself into.

Hammock
    11' Dutch, Yukon, ENO, and more
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    multiple setups
    Images
    Ahhhh...the joys on a bike, hammock and open road calling!! Since grandkids they are shorter trips with a 5 year old rugrat on the bike and a shared hammock...still fun!!

Nice report! The raccoon thing had me cringing! My best friend got bitten by one in a very similar scenario ! Luckily she had no serious repercussions! Another friend was not so lucky! The raccoon bit into the joint at the wrist, infection set in & he ended up having to have the joint fused! They're cute but can be quite dangerous!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Yes. Yes. Yes. Island raccoons are the best. Reminds me of Hilton Head in the early 60's. Scout camping in the woods and spending the night fending off about 15 of those furry critters. Anything for fun if you were in the Scouts.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    the "upgraded" hotel rooms had me squirming and laughing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.