Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hanging advice on my indoor set-up

Greetings all,

Hope this is the correct place to post such a question - been lurking these forums lately, researching and such. Finally got around to installing a set-up for my (hopefully soon to be) future sleeping device!

I could not locate a sufficiently spaced stud to hang the eye-bolts from - so i decided to drill a 'stud' of sorts into the walls - so far they seem to be holding up ok. (and i'm a big guy, 6'3 tall) - however, my only problem is the height/dip of the hammock - it just doesn't feel right. I think I have to space the hooks out further - however, I have limited width to the room. At the moment it is 295cm wide (eye bolt to eye bolt) with the eye-bolts 186cm and 196cm high each side respectively. However, plan Z, I could potentially add an extra 114cm width (which would involve drilling more holes into my rented house, something i'd rather not do)

The Hammock is Brazilian, so i'm guessing its a Brazilian hammock, if that helps? The possible solution i've come to would be to shorten the strings that connect to the hook by looping a section of it around the mallion hook - however I'm not sure how safe or how stupid an idea that might be? Would the strings support that? Any thoughts?

Below are some images of the set-up (apologies for the tightness of some shots, my lens on my camera isn't wide enough to take the full hammock in)

eye-bolt mallion hook stud set-up:

wide shot of current dip:

type of hammock

possible solution with shortened looped strings:

Hammock dip with both sides shortened/looped:

Thanks for your time and would really appreciate any help or thoughts,

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Not going to be much help on hanging your hammock. As much as I would like a Brazilian just haven't gotten there yet. One thing I would like to mention after checking the pictures. Assuming the mallions are open just for moving things around but make sure they are closed before loading the hammock. Made that mistake myself and they will deform to the point of not being able close. Do like your idea of using the external 2"x4", don't recall ever seeing that before.

By the way, welcome aboard
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    You may also want to check the eye bolts... they look a little on the smallish size, how long do they penetrate? They could be holding OK for small perod testing, but overnite runs with a little wiggle looks like they may pull out. Very first picture shows a little drooping.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Not going to be much help on hanging your hammock. As much as I would like a Brazilian just haven't gotten there yet. One thing I would like to mention after checking the pictures. Assuming the mallions are open just for moving things around but make sure they are closed before loading the hammock. Made that mistake myself and they will deform to the point of not being able close. Do like your idea of using the external 2"x4", don't recall ever seeing that before.

By the way, welcome aboard
    thanks for that advice - i'll be sure to close them from now on.

still have to wait and see if the external 2"x4" were a good idea...could end up ripping half the wall out

Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
    You may also want to check the eye bolts... they look a little on the smallish size, how long do they penetrate? They could be holding OK for small perod testing, but overnite runs with a little wiggle looks like they may pull out. Very first picture shows a little drooping.
    pretty sure the eye-bolts are 3/8" which I took as the right size from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGUDzJiW_7Q

there's definitely is a slight bit of drooping on them when there is weight on

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Why not just put some bigger eye bolt into the studs? I see in your original post that you couldn't locate one at a good distance. If those 2x4 are just screwed into the drywall, you are asking for trouble. Did you use anchor bolts?

If it was me, I'd use bigger eyebolts and find a stud. Looking at the pics, you need more distance between your hang points. It looked ok where you bunched up the ends, but I imagine that will effect your comfort (not possitive on that though.)
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Why not just put some bigger eye bolt into the studs? I see in your original post that you couldn't locate one at a good distance. If those 2x4 are just screwed into the drywall, you are asking for trouble. Did you use anchor bolts?
    One of the 2x4 is screwed into drywall - but the other into concrete (not very strong concrete tho)

Each 2x4 is screwed in with 8 long screws inside rawl plugs

forgetting comfort - can you image the bunching of the string near the hook to be bad or could damage the hammock?

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I wouldn't think that the bunching would hurt anything.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

hey. Just curious about your setup. I have been wanting to hang my hammock inside and have drywall as well. Has the wall made any sign of giving in? or does this homemade stud work? if so this would be a very promising solution for me!!

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    I use these.

Just find the wall stud.
    Have never had a problem
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Clark NA, HH UL
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ, bag TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    While the 2x4 idea is good if you are worried about the strength of your framing, I would suggest putting it on the wall horizontally and optimally, securing to a few studs along its length. That will spread your load out across a section of wall and several studs/bays.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast