WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids

Questions about TurtleDog stand with alum. poles

I am looking at making the The TurtleDog stand with the military aluminum poles, but was wondering how everyone's experience was with them? How much weight do you think they can support? Do you combine 2 4ft sections for each pole to make them 8ft, or do you make custom lengths by cutting them (for example, cut one pole to 2 ft to make a 6ft pole instead of the 8ft)?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I haven't built one but I wouldn't even consider cutting the poles. Leave them all the 4' or whatever the standard length is. This way there's no confusion as to what pole goes where and you only need to bring maybe one section as a spare.

If I could get hold of some cheap enough I have several projects they would work great for. Good luck with the stand.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I built the lashed turtlelady version and used 2 full sections for each leg. I like the idea of leaving the reinforced ends in place.

I have no idea how much weight these can hold, but there's no doubt in my mind that they are considerably stronger than any of the stands being built out of 2x2 lumber.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    As gmcttr mentions I think it may be best to go with the lashed Turtlelady stand. Haven't even seen the military aluminum poles but cutting sounds like it may involve some reinforcing to bolt a hinge. The Turtlelady will offer the same hang as a Turtledog with out modifications to the aluminum poles. Actually the only difference between the two is the hinge and that was only arrived at because of my mechanical fixation with nuts and bolts. Lash one up ala Turtlelady without cutting and see what you think before taking saw to expensive aluminum tubing.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I used the poles to make my MustardDog two-person stand, and I didn't cut any of them down - they are all at the full four foot length.

In my opinion, if you want to lower the height of your ridge pole, you can extend the poles lower using ropes (or rock climbing quickdraws like I did for my stand, just because I have extras), OR you can spread the legs wider, making for a more stable stand. I did a little bit of both. It's really not necessary to cut the poles.

I played around with lashing when I was designing my stands, but I definitely vastly preferred hardware. It was somewhat expensive, but I used all stainless steel eye bolts and chain shackles to assemble my stand. A little drilling definitely didn't compromise the strength.

I also suggest drilling holes in the ends of the poles and using some "snap buttons" to make them easy to click together. I bought mine from Grainger.

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    Just to let everyone know, I ordered some of the alum poles from a source online and it came out to around $55 after shipping for 16 poles. I am waiting to post the source after I receive the poles and the seller is also making sure the final price on them.

I used fiberglass poles with the agfadoc hardware design, trimmed the bottom pole for each tripod leg and tied them together with the spread limiter cord. Reducing the tripod height seems to reduce the spread needed for stability.

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.7mtn Wide
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs12
    Insulation
    JrB Nest
    Suspension
    Dutch kevlar strap
    Just an FYI, I was able to buy these poles locally in the DFW area. Omaha's surplus http://www.omahas.com/ has them in stock. I picked up 15 of them plus an almost new bag for $85. They are more robust than I thought they would be based on the pics I've seen. It took me about 20 mins. to lash them and set up. It was VERY stable and I still have not put limiters or push clips.
    Omaha's is the best A/N surplus store I've seen. It's what I remember a A/N store was when I was a kid. Not the new (t-shirts and pins) A/N store.

• + New Posts