Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images

Unhappy Shifting Problems with DIY Apex Top Quilt

So, I made myself a top quilt recently out of Argon and Climashield Apex. The shell is Argon 90 in blaze orange, the liner is Argon 67 taffeta in black. I love the warmth, the weight, and size.

I do not like the shifting I have been getting.

Basically, while in the quilt, I sometimes get the layers of the quilt all out of line with each other. So I will get big bunches of the liner material around my feet and the rest of the quilt is all scrunched up and out of wack. Am I the only one who this has happened to?

I have used the quilt several times now, and haven't gotten over it. I am contemplating putting a few bar tacks or some such throughout the middle of the panel to keep it from shifting around on me so much. I know this will induce cold spots, but I really don't like getting tangled up in my quilt. Am I just a nutter?

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I put a line of horizontal stitching through the entire quilt about 10 inches from the top of my apex quilt. It's a summer quilt so I've never really noticed any cold spots. It helps keep the Climashield in place, and I don't regret it.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I have t had that problem with my UQs, but they're more static in how they're used. The best solution is to put quilting loops into it every 12-18" or so. That's what you have to do to stabilize primaloft.

Quilting loops don't compress the insulation like sewn through quilting stitches. To do one figure out how high your loft is. For example 5oz apex is 1" to 1 1/2 for this example.

1. Cut a length of cardboard 1 1/2" tall.
    2. Thread a needle with a gutter an thread. Heavier is better.
    3. Place the 1 1/2" tall piece of cardboard upright where a loop goes.
    4. Press down with the cardboard compressing the insulation.
    5. Insert needle and thread through compressed quilt. Pull it back through, and loop it over the card board. Go back down through the quilt. Repeat 4-5 times and tie off.
    6. Remove cardboard spacer.
    7. Repeat every 12"-18".

You should be left with a loop of thread through the quilt that doesn't compress the insulation, but stabilizes its placement in the shell.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    How did you sew up the quilt? I basically followed the DIY guides top quilt instructions and haven't noticed any shifting of material.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    Yeah, I don't notice it all in my Serape Under Quilt, just with the TQ.

I will have to look into those quilting loops. I would like to avoid compressing the insulation because the 3.6oz Apex I used is pretty borderline for the temperatures I see out here in Colorado. I already know I will likely need to wear my down hoody and down booties to sleep in sometimes. I think I wouldn't need too many of them as the Apex doesn't need them, it would just be for ease of use basically. Probably a few in a horizontal line near the top, in the middle, and near the foot. I will to a couple trial runs on some scraps I have to make sure I have the right system.

Yeah, I followed the DIY Gear Supply instructions for mine, at least as far the actual construction goes. I added a few things (zippered foot box, pad strap attachments, neck cinch, etc) but no major changes.

I will report back once I have tried the quilting loops and have decided what my approach will be.

Thanks everyone!

When I was researching materials for my top quilt, I spoke to the manufacturer of Apex, he said that although it needed less stabilization than other insulation, it did need it. He reccomended a line of stitch be placed every 18 inches or so. I didn't do it but haven't had a problem as of yet. If I had a problem I wouldn't hesitate to throw a stitch in there, its a summer quilt after all and It may even help dissapate excess heat.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    When I was researching materials for my top quilt, I spoke to the manufacturer of Apex, he said that although it needed less stabilization than other insulation, it did need it
    Good to know. I will probably try for the quilting loops so as not to compress my insulation. I usually see nighttime temps in the mid 40s, which is pretty close to the limit of the 3.6oz/sqyd I used.

I will likely do 4 or so horizontal lines of quilt loops, spaced at 18".

• + New Posts