Quote Originally Posted by theseakayaker View Post
Yea, I was looking at the "lake" on the map. I think two strokes in my Gulfstream and I would be on the other bank...in the trees! Are the rivers up? I have a whole fleet of sea kayaks to choose from, fiberglass and rotomold, but the main squeeze is my fiberglass Gulfstream and it's allergic to rocks. Any shoals or WW runs on the river or is it wide open?

Anyone up for a trip to the coast for some open water paddling?

I also noticed on the State Parks site, there is a outdoor shooting range in Ocala. Anyone know if it's close to Buck Lake? I may tiptoe over and get some practice in.

Also, what's the deal on the Head? "Vaulted toilets"? Is this like a toilet that you have to do the high jump to get to? Should I bring my own privy or is that allowed on park property?

A 'vault' toilet is a non flushing toilet. Imagine a toilet seat over a big hole in the ground.

I'm not sure about the shooting range, I've not been shooting since my Army marksmanship qualification days.

Last year the kayak trips that were planned were:

Alexander springs run - wide easy paddle

Juniper Springs WMA paddle - Longer and tighter paddle

Silver River Paddle - This paddle was up stream, but well worth it. I think we saw at least 100 monkeys.

I haven't heard from ItsAndy but I suspect something similar is planned this year.

Hope that helps!