Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaman View Post
    All my items added on top of the UP were light weight, which I think made it work out fine. I was never cold that night, but I kept waking up thinking I MIGHT be cold. I would take a mental inventory of my perceived coldness, fine none, then go back to sleep. Then I'd wake up an hour later and conduct the same mental gyrations! And on it goes . . . .
    LOL! I've done the exact same thing! Waking up thinking I might be cold, only to decide that I am not really cold, though not actually cold. More like neutral.

I generally have a real tough time sleeping in the back yard any way, regardless of temps. I more than once have given up on a cold temp test do to inability to sleep. ( In the woods, I sleep like a log and have spent as much as 12 hours in the hammock, followed by an afternoon nap!) I have finally figured out that I might actually sometimes be dreaming that I am awake and can't sleep! I think I figured this one out when I woke up on a 10*F night on what I figured must be maybe 2AM. So I figured it must be pretty close to the forecast 13 or 14*( as it was 19*F when I got in the PeaPod), and I had established the limits of my sleep system, as I was not exactly warm but neutral on the bottom, an just barely cool on top around the shoulders. So I decided to just get up and go in in hopes of getting a few hours sleep. I figured I had been there about 4 hours, from 10PM until what I guessed was 1:30 or 2AM. But when I turned my headlight on to look at my watch, it was 5AM! So, I must have been asleep for at least a few hours straight, but dreaming I couldn't sleep as usual. So I just sealed the PeaPod up completely, warmed right up to actually warm, and stayed for another hour or so until the noise of folks going to work and dogs barking made it impossible to sleep, plus now I had to take a leak, so I got up about 0600 or so. Only to check my thermometer and find it was 10*F.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i feel you there buddy, that comment made me laugh pretty hard. i can relate. i mean how much less difficult could a favor be?
    Really! How easy is "would you come out in lay in my hammock for a little while, while I check out how this or that is working and what adjustments I need to make?". Sounds like a pretty minimal favor to me! My grand children are frequently here and always glad to help, but I fear they are not big enough for an accurate test.

Underpad space-blanket wrap tested... briefly

Well, true testing has been delayed but a short silly test (30 minutes) at -5 C showed good promise.

I wrapped the underpad between two space blankets of the cheapest kind, taped the seams with duct tape. The fastening chords were exposed through small holes in the duct tape.

This leaves essentially an almost hermetically sealed underquilt.

It was easy to get into place under the hammock and also rather warm. I could lie there for about half an hour with two-three layers of clothing, using a -5 C sleeping bag as an over quilt. It was quite comfortable and warm.

So, once the good health is restored, I will test it for real. I plan not to use the undercover since it (in my eyes) is heavy and difficult to deal with. More about that later, perhaps.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedish trees View Post
    I wrapped the underpad between two space blankets of the cheapest kind, taped the seams with duct tape. The fastening chords were exposed through small holes in the duct tape.

This leaves essentially an almost hermetically sealed underquilt.
    That doesn't sound like a bad way to keep the open cell pad dry!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123