Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Very nice.

Appreciate having a marker out there in the distance as I move in that direction.

GOAL
    Consistent Hang
    Variable distance anchors between 15 and 35 feet and not having to worry about 30 degrees so much.

Though I do think going for a long hang would be some fun, despite the debacle in Helsinki.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Let's not forget the physics at work here. These long spans can be accommodated by using larger and larger Amsteel, but how much damage are you doing to the trees? We are talking more than 1000 pounds on each strap. Of course, if the trees come down, they could be the ones doing damage to you!

Have fun with hanging, but be safe by thinking things through.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Thanks, MAD. Excellent points taken.

I'm thinking now of a SLS that loads only part time -- when one is in the hammock.

What about this to follow?

The basic configuration of the system is the same as above, except the straps need a higher load rating and I'd substitute ring buckles for carabiners B.

The SLS would be an even longer whoopie (adjustable from 12' to 30') of 1/8" Amsteel that would run from carabiner C at one end through the ring buckles (replacing whoopie suspension), over the top (forming the tarp ridge line) then through the opposite ring buckles, and back to carabiner C at the other end (replacing suspension there). A 1/8" SRL would complete a trapazoid that distributes load equally throughout the system, provided the angle from ring buckles at position B to carabiners C is 30* or less.

Now, this eliminates any tension in the system unless the hammock is loaded. In fact, out of the bag it would all be slack, thus easily pitched and striken. It would need some counterweight in it to set up and keep the tarp aloft. I'm thinking the backpack could live on the SRL to provide that counterweight.

Mike

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonepile View Post
    Mikw,

thanks so much for the pics. I have a hard time understanding all these rigs just from the written descriptions of them. Just a couple questions. How do you attach your tarp over the SLS? Also how do you undo the tension on the buckles? It's hard enough to release the tension from my WBBB buckles when my hammock needs to be loosened, and it's not nearly as tight as you have them.
    Bonepile, I just ordered the 1/8" Amsteel and look forward to making a new version of this system that will eliminate the need to release tension when striking camp. The new iteration will apply tension only when the hammock is loaded. Unloaded everything goes slack. That means it could all end up in the dirt but that is a problem easily solved with a counterweight at least equal to the suspended parts, provided all loaded angles are less than 30*.

That's the theory, anyway. We'll see what happens in real life, right? Should know by this time next week.

Mike

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Well, my system works as planned. A super giant 1/8" Amsteel double adjustable whoopie forms tarp ridge line and hammock suspension. In summer breezy mode there is a 32" gap between the tarp ridge line and hammock's SRL with staps at 6'-8" up the tree. It can be pitched to give an 8" gap for storm or winter hunker down mode at 5' up the tree. Another piece of the same material forms the SRL.

There is tension in the system only when loaded so the constrictor knots do not freeze up pitching or striking camp (except in freezing weather, of course).

Mike
    Last edited by MDSH; 10-25-2012 at 20:18.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    After two naps and two nights I am sold on this system. Adjustments are very easy and it feels solid.

This is what it weighs, approximately:

4' each of 3000# tree straps: 2.4 oz.
    CAMP Ti carabiners at A: 2 oz.
    CAMP Nanobiners at B: 1.6 oz.
    SLS, 1/8" Amsteel, including SRL: 4.8 oz.
    CAMP Nanobiners at C: 1.6 oz.
    GT UL Hammock, sans S-hooks: say 10 oz.
    TTL: 22.4 oz.

Replacing carabiners with soft shackles at .2 oz. each reduces the weight to 17.8 oz. for basic setup that includes tarp ridge line.

Could make a 5 oz. hammock, bringing the whole system under 1 pound but the question becomes how much comfort and convenience to sacrifice. Adding a bug net, cuben tarp, and te-wa Breeze UQ to this current setup would still be under the tent and pad I used to carry by 2 pounds -- always had to string up my poncho to have a porch for cooking breakfast on a cold morning.

Can a man actually cook from a hammock?

Mike
    Last edited by MDSH; 10-27-2012 at 13:54. Reason: correct weights

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Sounds like you're there Mike.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Handmade string & 1.1 dbl DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Could make a 5 oz. hammock, bringing the whole system under 1 pound but the question becomes how much comfort and convenience to sacrifice. Adding a bug net, cuben tarp, and te-wa Breeze UQ to this current setup would still be under the tent and pad I used to carry by 2pounds -- always had to string up my poncho to have a porch for cooking breakfast on a cold morning.

Can a man actually cook from a hammock?

Mike
    Sweet set up. I may be borrowing some of your ideas as I begin my upgrades to my system.

Yes a man can cook from a hammock it's mind over matter like your SLS. Its something that takes practice though. Be careful not to end up in your soup.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Sounds like you're there Mike.
    If I tied or buried two loops in it, olddog, I could use it without the biners and separate SRL, just like yours and BearChaser's, making it ideal for UL or winter hunker down mode under a tarp with dodgers.

The giant whoopie extends 12-28 feet. The SRL would add up to 9 feet more or could help with a large tree trunk on one end if I carried it.

Mike
    Last edited by MDSH; 10-27-2012 at 17:19. Reason: clarity

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Thought I'd add some pictures:

• + New Posts