BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie w/ toggles

Sepulga River Float Trip

Finally was able to do a float trip down one of my favorite rivers in south Alabama. The Sepulga is a small river that is perfect for kayaks and canoes. I planned the trip with 3 of my cousins and the day before the trip one of them tore his ACL, so it was a no go for him!

We camped at my hunting club (borders the Sepulga) on Friday night and drove the 5 minutes to the landing at Staples bridge on Hwy 84 Saturday morning.

Unfortunately, none of us have canoes or kayaks, so we resorted to jon boats! This did allow us to pack just about anything we wanted.

The river is mainly limestone based and there are many shoals throughout the river where we got the closest taste of whitewater as you can get in LA (lower Alabama).

We did some fishing with our ultralight rods and tackle. Ended up with over 20 bream, bass, and white perch on Saturday and 12 Sunday morning.

We stayed on the water almost 11 hours Saturday and made it to our 2nd campsite just early enough to set up camp before dark. Our second camp was some family land that also borders up to the river.

I was able to use my new BIAS camper and DIY poncho liner topquilt. Both worked great! It was warm enough for bugs, so I used my girlfriend's eno bugnet, but it also got cool enough to have to pull out my AHE jarbridge UQ.
    Needless to say, I got over 8 hrs both nights!

One of my trees was pretty big, so I was able to make it work as I learned on here a while back.

Sunday morning we hiked up to a waterfall on a creek on the property. I have many childhood memories at this place, playing in the water and searching for sharks teeth in the sand.

We then got back in the boats to finish up the last leg of the trip to bull slough bridge. I really wish I would have taken a picture of the bridge...It is an older wooden bridge that looks really cool.

Overall, a great trip and a good time with some family that enjoys the outdoors as much as I do. I'm definitely ready to make this trip again!

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Loved the pics and report. I grew up floating the Sepulga and the Pigeon Rivers with my Dad. Spent mant a night camping with good friends on the Sepulga down around Loango. All our float trips in those days was in jon boats. We floated it from Hwy 31 to Hwy 84 also. Thanks for sharing the memories.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quick question, the family is not Robinson by any chance? Raised quarter horses back in the 60's. It was their old mill and mill pond on the Sepulga that we camped many times.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    BMJ Spinn.& DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Great float trip down the river!

Thanks for posting, this is my absolute favorite way to camp, I have done the Suwannee River in December and January (to avoid the bugs) and it was always fun. I see you had no problem with getting firewood! Glad you had a good time and shared the photos of the trip with us.
    LB

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie w/ toggles
    Quote Originally Posted by southmark View Post
    Loved the pics and report. I grew up floating the Sepulga and the Pigeon Rivers with my Dad. Spent mant a night camping with good friends on the Sepulga down around Loango. All our float trips in those days was in jon boats. We floated it from Hwy 31 to Hwy 84 also. Thanks for sharing the memories.
    I have never gone from 31 to 84, but I really want to soon. Our club is located in that section, so I'd love to check it all out. I've never heard of the Robinson's...my family is Griggers. Our property is where Simmons creek comes into the Sepulga probably 3 hours (floating) below Pigeon Creek.

I believe there were many grist mills along the Sepulga. Actually, the section of creek just above the waterfall I have a pic of, above, was a grist mill way back when. I remember finding pieces of iron when looking for sharks teeth.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The area that I was referring to in the Loango area was not far below the Bull Slough bridge.

• + New Posts