It is a mind set. Hammocks, tents whatever. Use the right tool for the job. Just cause I like wrenches doesn't mean I won't use a pair of pliers if I the task at hand calls for it.

A hammock is a sleep system. It is not really shelter. I never really understand why it keeps getting compared to tents. What you are comparing is using a tent verses a tarp. Yes there are differences and you will loose some things and gain others. All depends on what your objectives are. Base camping above treeline one would not use a tarp. Typically backcountry adventures are well suited to tarp camping. I like using tarps because they are easy to set up and I can look about when I want. Gear storage can be an issue when you tarp camp but I've never had a problem. 3 seasons I lay my pack on the ground beneath me. Winter time I use a gear hammock.

The issues of getting comfortable in a hammock really has to do with you and trying a bunch of different styles/types and experience. When I first started I could not sleep in a gathered end hammock. Since then I've trained my body to sleep in any kind. Takes time to get used to something new. Keep at it and good luck.

S