Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies

how long did it take you to get the hang of hanging

Hi there,

I have been on about 5 or 6 camoing/backpacking trips with my hammock setup - a Hennessy zip with whoopies, Phoenix UQ, and Maccat Deluxe tarp. I use my 15 degree mountain hardware down bag as top insulation. My main motivation for geting in to hanging is the availability of backcountry camping opportunities, particularly on uneven or wet terrain while backpacking.

I want to like hanging but each of the times I have gone I have found that I am not that comfortable sleeping. Not hugely uncomfortable but more comfortable in my Big Agnes UL tent and Neo Air mattress. In addition, I miss having a place to "throw everything" when I hammock. I hang my pack and make a "doormat" from a small tarp under my hammock to put items but the convenience of having gear storage and vestibules especially in inclement weather is a downer.

I want to like hanging - I don't think the problem is my setup or gear but rather my technique and maybe my expectations. The idea of being able to camp anywhere is great but I have found in places I go (Catskills, Adirondacks, Whites) I usually camp in designated backcountry sites anyway - where it is no problem to tent camp. I do this simply because in the middle of summer to dive off the trail 150 ft in the Catskills into the brush does not seem like a good idea.

Doe anyone have any insight on this or have a similar spiritual camping conflict?

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    It took me about a year. I just knew it was something I wanted to do and just stuck with it. Keep the faith it will get better. Gotta find your sweet spot, even if you have to try a different hammock.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Don't fight it. Hammocks should not stress you out. Go with what and where your comfort lies. But as long as your in the woods your good.
    It just does not "take" for some folks.
    Carry Forth......
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    You may want to try tweeking it some more to find your sweet spot. Make sure your hang angle is correct, and go to a local hang if you can to get some help with it. You will be very pleasantly surprised how nice a local hang can be, and how helpful everyone is. Good luck to you. I hope you continue to hang, but as Shug says it's not for everyone and you may end up back in a tent. The most important thing is to get out into the woods.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I just got back from a week of backpacking and sleeping in the hammock! Every evening I went to bed with knees aching and tired all over. Every morning I'd wake up rejuvinated without a body ache anywhere. Even after sleeping 10 and 12 hours in the hammock. I can't do that on the ground. Heck, I can't even do that in my bed.

The place to throw gear isn't a biggie with me. It's just different now. With that said, I'm still tweaking my setup. And I've been at this for years.

I tear down pretty quick, but I still hate that it takes me a lot longer to setup than my tent. And I miss playing cards and backgammon in a tent. Something I've not done since starting to hammock. Just something very cozy about playing games and drinking hot chocolate in a tent, rather than under a tarp.

Gotta pick your priorities. A good night's sleep is a priority for me. So I'm staying with my hammock. Your priorities may be different. Go with what you like!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    thanks for the replies - mechanically speaking...how do you deal with the lack of storage area that you lose when you hammock? maybe i am not losing any area and its just in my head that my gear isn't covered by a vestibule or in my tent. it just seems like certain things were less convenient (having to pack all my stuff back in my pack and not have it readily available)

thanks for the advice to not fight it - i will try more and see how it goes but if need be I will sell my gear at a certain point - i have all good stuff and it is lightly used so i am sure i won't have any problem recouping most of my investment

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmileyns View Post
    thanks for the replies - mechanically speaking...how do you deal with the lack of storage area that you lose when you hammock? maybe i am not losing any area and its just in my head that my gear isn't covered by a vestibule or in my tent. it just seems like certain things were less convenient (having to pack all my stuff back in my pack and not have it readily available)
    Sounds like a small 'gear hammock' that you can hang either under your your hammock or next to you under your tarp might be in order. I made a DIY hammock chair last fall that I don't use as a chair much that is about to be 'repurposed' as a gear hammock to have a little extra dry storage for my pack and such...

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    The main reason I have a Blackbird is because I love the side pocket for extra clothing. I have a ridgeline gear organizer for smaller stuff, like flashlight, mp3 player, glasses, ear plugs, pain killers. My pillow has a loop and line with a mini-biner and hooks to ridgeline so if it falls out of hammock, it stays off the ground. (Learned that from a Shug video.)

I also will hang clothing from ridgeline if it needs airing out. My shoes go under my hammock. I lay out my water bag and drinking tube under the hammock if I need a sip during the night. I will also put my stove setup under my hammock for coffee from the hammock in the morning. The rest of my stuff is in my pack hanging from my suspension so it is protected if it starts to rain during the night.

Checkout 2Q&ZQ's webpage. They have ridgeline organizers and peak bags for storage and other great stuff that may help you.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Do you have one of the mesh ditty bags? Get one of those. There are several people who make them, in different sizes. They loop over your ridge line inside your hammock. I put my glasses, head light on one side. I place my meds, ear plugs and other small stuff on the other. I have a tiny light also clipped to the ridgeline. Then I also have a Warbonnent and love the "shelf". Big stuff, a book, a water bottle, my hat or bag liner, anything sort of large that I "might" need, goes into the shelf. By doing that, everything I need is readily at hand. Under the hammock is my pack. I can put down some tyvek to sit stuff on also. Shoes and such.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Old Eddie Bauer
    Insulation
    Bag and pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just toss everything below me on a small piece of plastic. only thing that worries me is a raccoon seeing something of mine that is shiny.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast