Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Avoiding Late Night, Um, Trips

Sorry, I tried to make the title a little tactful . This really applies only to guys.

It was brought up on Yahoo a year or so ago, but I knew I could never do the acrobatics that Ed Speer was describing.

For years I have exited the hammock at around 2am to urinate, and that has been the only thing that has disturbed my slumber (short of the horrendous lightning storms).

I went snowshoeing / hammock camping this weekend, and by the time I got myself situated in my hammock at around 9pm, on top of my down-filled air mattress, inside my sleeping bag, the last thing I wanted to do was leave my nice warm cocoon (I have a Speer-type hammock).

I had taken an empty 32 oz Gatorade bottle to bed with me, and my plan was to simply sit on the edge of (or stand beside) my hammock, use the bottle, then quickly return to the warmth of the bag.

That worked the first time at around 11pm, but at 15 degrees outside, it was going to be the last.

The second time at 2am (I kept myself well hydrated all day), I emptied the bottle as far away from my hammock as I could reach while still in my hammock (the snow was 2-3 feet deep in most places), then turned on my side inside my sleeping bag and was able position the bottle upright, and while on my side, conveniently and safely empty my bladder into it.

I screwed the cap on snugly and put the bottle into my gear hammock and very quickly went back to sleep.

Three hours later, I repeated the process (remember, I kept myself WELL hydrated all day), and was amazed to discover how easy it was by simply lying on my side. The "squattiness" of the bottle made it easy to hold it nearly upright, assuring me that I would not spill it by tipping it.

I will never, ever get up out of my hammock for a mid-night pee trip again. It was also nice not trying to "hold it in" for just a few hours until it was time to get up.

Anyone else have any tips or techniques for this activity?

Jonas

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I did the same thing at the Mt. Rogers camp out. I wasn't going to tell anyone, but since you brought it up I will also admit to it. I used a 1 liter Pepsi bottle with the wide mouth. A Gatorade would be much better because it's a little shorter and has a wider mouth.

Yeah that method works great and it can even provide a little extra warmth if needed (j/k). Just make sure you don't get that bottle mixed up with a water bottle.

Images
    Interesting, but good story.

I'm with you. I usually try to stay well hydrated through the day while hiking. That usually means 3 or so nature breaks. I am working on the move where I can go off the side of the hammock. That way I do not need to get out. I don't really like the hole pee bottle concept. As long as I go hammock right and my gear is hammock left, everything is cool.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

geez, just get up and go.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Getting up more than you would at home is a sign that you are not warm enough. Add some insulation and maybe just make the one trip. Now if you are consuming more "liquids" that's another story.

Images
    I usually get up once or twice at home. I'm not really one to sleep. I guess the difference when camping is that I don't get strange looks for using any method that involves not getting out of bed. More important when it is cold, then in summer.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

I had rather get up and go than take a chance of getting my gear wet with urine. It isn't worth it.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I used that trick when tenting, but on my last tent trip, and eventually during my time at home, I have found that after I "empty my bladder" then either walk beck to bed or wiggle back into hammock (or sleeping bag). Soon as I'm comfy, I have to pee again. SO, for me anyway, getting up is the best thing to do, so I get up, empty the bladder, check my suspension & tarp stakes, then empty the bladder again. I'm good for several hours then. At home, I: pee, pet the cats & rats, pee again. That's me. On the other hand, were I younger, the pee bottle would indeed be a part of my gear.

Side note: Yet another good thing about hammocking w a tarp, I set up my tarp about 5' - 6' from the ground, at 5' 7" I can usually stand up under my tarp, so I walk to the end, take care of business, back to bed without leaving my shelter. Do that with a backpacking tent!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    hehe, any heard of a texas catheter? you could let the tubing dangle out the HH center slit and like in dumb and dumber, "just go man"

Images
    i dont have this problem..yet... but i am with the get up and go to the pee tree rather than risk a wet bed....now if its rainning cats and dogs that is a seperate thing..in thta case i would use a bottle and stay under the tarp..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast