Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

newbie here, just a couple of questions

hi,

a couple of friends and i are planning a camping/hiking trip to hawaii over december/january for a month. i really feel like hammock camping is the way to go for this trip but i have some questions i was hoping i could get answered here. i have been reading all reviews and forums, as well as company websites i can find regarding the pros and cons of each particular hammock and i am about 80% sure that i want to go with a hennesy. i just feel like for a newbie like me, the price is good, it comes with the accessories i need, and it appears to be fairly user-friendly.

1) i am a 5'3 125 lb female, so i was wondering if a scout model would work for me. are there any like-sized individuals in here who have used the scout and can offer any advice in this regard? right now at the HH website, they are offering a free scout hammock with the purchase of any other hammock, so i may just order the larger one and try both out. but any personal testimonials would be helpful to me to decide which one to buy.

2) are there any simple mods i can make to the system to get away from having to tie the knots? they look complicated. i saw one picture of someone using a large metal clip and the flat tie downs. can anyone tell me how to do something like this? or, should i just suck it up and learn to tie the knots? are there any other knots that work for tying up the hammock? does anyone know of a good instructional website on knots?

3) since we will be on an island (hawaii) we may do some beach camping. i have seen pics of HH's used on the ground. does anyone here have any experience doing this? is it easy to do and does it work well? i do not want to carry both a tent and a hammock with me. i am also thinking i could use the rainfly and tent poles/ sticks to make a shelter over me.

4) do any HH users have any additional things i should consider for my hammock ie: longer ropes, additional mods, accessories you have found indispensible, etc?

thanks for your help!

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Hi

1) According to the site, the scout is good for up to 5 10, so it should be no problem. Im a bit taller than you but same weight. I have the expedition a-sym and i fit perfectly(and ohh so comfortably) in it. My point with this is that maybe you could go ahead (if you have the money) and get an Expedition asym while the free scout offer is up. I am going to take this chance very soon but i wont keep the expedition: i will keep the free scout to sleep in it in my room adn give the expedition to my sister who's actually going to pay for this . Maybe you can sell/lend/give the hammock you don't keep to some of your pals, im sure theyll luv it.

2) Right now i can't find the page, but there was someone who had a great page with HH tips, from getting in with a pad, to using the snakeskins, and the lashing(knot). The lashing isn't that hard as it looks or as time consuming. Give it a try. If not able to get it, checkout the Suport Systems section of the forum for mods. I recomend the ring buckle a la Tree Dweller. I went that way without doing any sewing or mod to the HH products.

3) Well, these hammocks suck for ground camping due to the bottom entry. It can be done, but i think the lashing would be 100 x easier to get around. The thing with setting the hh on ground is to at least keep high the end with the entry, high enough to lift the netting and allow to get into the hammock. If you want i can give you more detailed info on how ive done it, but i say just find some place to hang from.

4) Check this page out http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
    Beggining with whats said there, search these forums through the sections, they are really helpfull. Maybe somethign else id recommend for the hennessy after using it soem time, are the 2Questions mods (adding a zipper to the netting, either one side or both if im not wrong or missing a third mod. 2Questions is a member here)

SO, hope this helps a bit.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by meeegun View Post
    hi,

... accessories you have found indispensible, etc?
    4) For warm temps, A FAN!!! Heres and example of one perfect for the hammock: http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&searchid=9732
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    There is no knot tying with the Hennessy, which is about the only reason I can use it. :P All you are doing is wrapping the rope around and around itself.

If you are going where you think there will be more than a drizzle of rain, a bigger tarp would be very helpful.

You can use the hammock like a bug bivy on the ground; I think that in good weather with minimal bugs I would be more likely to just use the tarp and a ground cloth/pad combo with my quilts. It takes a little practice to get either to work for you.

If you are camping where the tree trunks are larger than 8" in diameter, getting some longer straps would be advisable. I got custom length straps at Strapworks.com as I get to contend with various widths of pine and oak.

I have an Ultralight Backpacker that's adequate for my 5'7". Website says the scout is for up to 5'10" and the backpacker for 6' - I'd probably feel cramped in the scout. The backpacker feels just about right, sometimes a little short, though I'm sure that's because of differences in the hang.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by meeegun View Post
    hi,

a couple of friends and i are planning a camping/hiking trip to hawaii over december/january for a month. i really feel like hammock camping is the way to go for this trip but i have some questions i was hoping i could get answered here. i have been reading all reviews and forums, as well as company websites i can find regarding the pros and cons of each particular hammock and i am about 80% sure that i want to go with a hennesy. i just feel like for a newbie like me, the price is good, it comes with the accessories i need, and it appears to be fairly user-friendly.

1) i am a 5'3 125 lb female, so i was wondering if a scout model would work for me. are there any like-sized individuals in here who have used the scout and can offer any advice in this regard? right now at the HH website, they are offering a free scout hammock with the purchase of any other hammock, so i may just order the larger one and try both out. but any personal testimonials would be helpful to me to decide which one to buy.

2) are there any simple mods i can make to the system to get away from having to tie the knots? they look complicated. i saw one picture of someone using a large metal clip and the flat tie downs. can anyone tell me how to do something like this? or, should i just suck it up and learn to tie the knots? are there any other knots that work for tying up the hammock? does anyone know of a good instructional website on knots?

3) since we will be on an island (hawaii) we may do some beach camping. i have seen pics of HH's used on the ground. does anyone here have any experience doing this? is it easy to do and does it work well? i do not want to carry both a tent and a hammock with me. i am also thinking i could use the rainfly and tent poles/ sticks to make a shelter over me.

4) do any HH users have any additional things i should consider for my hammock ie: longer ropes, additional mods, accessories you have found indispensible, etc?

thanks for your help!

Hi and welcome to the site.
    The Hennessy is like the gateway drug of hammock camping. It was the first hammock I used. I no longer use one but quite a few around here love theirs.

1)I've never used a scout model but that sounds like a really great deal. I'd see if you could upgrade to a bigger tarp such as their hex tarp for the larger Hennessy hammock.

2)I really hated the tree hugger straps and tying the Hennessy knot when I owned one. Makes it a real pain when adjusting the hammock. Although there are several methods for modifying the suspension system, some lighter than others, the one I'd recommend is found in this thread. Check out post #4 http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=3129

3)The Hennessy will work pretty well for you on the ground. I suggest bringing a pair of hiking poles with you if you can.

4)This is what some folks have been doing to their Hennessy. The velcro entry can be a pain for some. Especially in winter. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=3600

Another bit of advise is to tie the tarp to the tree instead of to the hammock. Although their are times when using just the tiny stock Hennessy tarp attached to the hammock is really covenient. Especially when you know the weather is gonna be nice. Scroll down to "How do I pitch a hammock tarp?" http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCam....html#Pitching
    Make sure you check out the rest of that great site. You'll learn a ton I promise.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    For ground camping: http://hikinghq.net/gear/hennessey_assym_hammock2.html , tip #3.

The site i recommended previously for the lashing(The Knot) and other usefull tips: http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hi...elter/hthh.htm

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the HF! Lots to learn here - have fun, and ask lots of questions.

Here's another thread on Hawaii. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=hawaii

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    The HH scout should be fine. I own one and I can sleep fine in it. I'm 5'5" and 135 pounds. The main drawback of the scout is that it is heavier than say the ultralight backpacker. It's also not asymmetric but that isn't a big deal. All Hennessy's have great bug protection so that should be helpful.

The tarp that comes with the scout is quite heavy because it's made of some urethane coated material rather than silnylon. And all Hennessy tarps are too small. I'd ditch the stock tarp and get something big enough that you have some room to do stuff (cook, etc) while it's raining.

One other thing. When I say the Hennessy's are bug proof I mean that they can't get to you from the top. But mosquitoes still can bite your from the underside through the material of the hammock. Treating the hammock with permethrin may help. Or just make sure there is something between your skin and the hammock bottom.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    HH will let you order w/o the tarp for a discounted price. You can upgrade to a larger HH tarp or get an aftermarket one, like the MacCat, JRB or Speer.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    I'll go out on a limb and disagree with the statement that the stock HH tarps are too small. That may have been the case at some point, but Hennessy has stated that they've increased the size of the tarps. I stayed very dry even in the end of a hurricane--proper pitch is essential.

I write for BackpackGearTest.org, as do several other forum members. You can read my report on the Hennessy Explorer UL there, as well as reports and owner reviews on several other kinds of hammocks.

I'm looking to get a bigger tarp for winter because I'd like to have more protected space on the ground underneath my hammock. But in very strong winds and the heaviest rain I've seen while camping, I stayed perfectly dry with the stock Hennessy tarp.

I think elcolombianito was referring to Shane Steinkamp's pages about the Hennessy Hammock. Shane has put together a lot of information including a pair of quick videos on how to get into the hammock. He also has a very clear series of photos showing how to tie what's colloquially known as the Hennessy lashing.

Good luck!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast