WBBB
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    lambskin rugs/pluq
    Suspension
    tree straps

sheepskin pad?

so i was at costco today and saw sheep skin mat made by woolmark interiors and it was like $40 so i was wondering if that would work instead of a under quilt?

i can try and find a pic if need be
    thoughts???

thanks,
    A.Bottoms

edit, like this
    Last edited by A.Bottoms; 10-11-2012 at 20:13. Reason: to make the title more relevent

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Wool is a good insulator so it should work, especially w/ a cover encapsulating the fibers. What are the dimensions and weight?

If heavy, then I'd say try a military poncho liner instead (assuming you're looking for a low-price UQ).

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    for hiking? would be bulky, heavy. For car camping? Well, it might work, but the 'sheep shape' isn't UQ shaped, and the skin is thick, so you might have cold spots.

You could lay on it for additional warmth, but I'm not sure how much of a boost that would give you. My mum used to put one under her side of the sheets to sleep on for extra soft and warmth when they had to use an old bed and mattress.

Would be soft and fuzzy though!

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    lambskin rugs/pluq
    Suspension
    tree straps
    @funny im not too sure on the size but i would say around 3.5'x2' and i would be car camping so im not too worried about the weight

I've got a couple of 6' x 4" Australian sheep skins I've used for past several years when close to car, i.e.hangs, camp grounds, they are better than great, been in temps down to 0, out in NM, and in teens in AR/TX with humidity which to me is colder for me than dry lower temps put west. I also have couple buffalo robes(hides) large and small(7x6ft) and use it in a big hammock during day for couple, large one just to big and heavy. the skins work really well never had a cold spot, albeit I'll use UQ more this year mainly bc i have them, but love the sheep skins, if you can find the larger ones I think they'll work better for you if your going to be close to car.my 2 cents

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    lambskin rugs/pluq
    Suspension
    tree straps
    thanks for the imput, i was looking online and the cheapest i could find is like $60 and thats for the same size so idk if ide be able to afford a bigger one :P

Quote Originally Posted by jrs View Post
    I've got a couple of 6' x 4" Australian sheep skins I've used for past several years when close to car, i.e.hangs, camp grounds, they are better than great, been in temps down to 0, out in NM, and in teens in AR/TX with humidity which to me is colder for me than dry lower temps put west. I also have couple buffalo robes(hides) large and small(7x6ft) and use it in a big hammock during day for couple, large one just to big and heavy. the skins work really well never had a cold spot, albeit I'll use UQ more this year mainly bc i have them, but love the sheep skins, if you can find the larger ones I think they'll work better for you if your going to be close to car.my 2 cents

• + New Posts