Thread: New to Hanging

New to Hanging

Hello all, I just got my first hammock in the mail yesterday, and set it up once (if you can call it that, it was for a literal 5 minutes). I'm quite excited and hoping I enjoy it! I purchased a HH Safari - I purchased this 'gigantic' hammock for the fact that I am 6'2 and roughly 270. But I will also be 'hammocking' with my dog - who is about 20 pounds.

Couple basic questions..

First.. Tree size. What is too small? I walked around for a good 40 minutes trying to find trees that would fit the straps that came with the hammock - all of the trees seemed to be too big, and the straps would not come back to each other. I'm in Michigan, and to be honest I didn't think these were large, but rather average trees. In all the videos on YouTube, it seems a lot of people are using smaller trees that seem to be maybe 8-12 inches in diameter. What is the rule of thumb on tree size? Is it unsafe to tie the hammock up with the straps not reaching together?

What size straps do you all use? Like I said I'm using the straps that came with the set-up, I think they are 2 x 42 - I'm thinking I should get larger since my problem with finding trees the right size. What is a good size? I mean it's not as if I'm going to be running into Redwoods!

Second.. I've seemed to gather that the additional items needed for set-up is paracord for the ridgeline for hex fly. Then tent stakes to tie out hammock and/or fly? Am I right?

The ridgeline for the fly, do you tie that at the same spot as the hammock straps?

Third.. I saw a quick set-up using carabiners and rings - has anyone had problems with this? Any other advice on a quick set-up with easy knots.

Do you seal the rainflys or seams or anything on hammocks?

Also, any suggestions on where I can buy straps as well. Reasonably priced is always best.

Sorry if this is a bit scatter brained! For some reason I keep forgetting what I'm trying to ask and how!

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Just be careful with your dog's claws or you'll get a rip and test gravity.
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Great point! I suspect he will have his own sleep sack area since this seems to be so large when I tried laying in it. But good to think about trying to proof the area since sometimes he likes to dig. Not sure how he will act in a hammock though.

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    tree straps can be gotten at many of the vendors in the market place on this forum, i am partial to arrowhead equipment myself. zing-it is a much better line for your ridge line or you can get a premade one i would suggest woopieslings.com take a look at the dutch edition ridge line. your hammock straps will be a bit higher than the tarp ridge line. if you havent seen them watch shugs youtube videos hammock camping for noobs you cant beat that info. a forum member here dejoha has an informative book "the ultimate hang" with lots of illustrations if you search him here you will find lots of them posted here. the rings and straps work great. i have adjustable webbing on most of my hammocks there is a tutorial here to convert your hammock to them. some tarps need seem sealing your hennessey came pre done.the hammock doesnt need it. tree size it varies on type of tree, be on the safe side think thickness of your thigh.good size straps 6' is a good place to start. enjoy and feel free to explore the forum and ask as many questions as you need. people here are friendly and willing to help

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing

• + New Posts