Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Wait a sec, it looks like you don't have a fixed loop/locked brummel where it attaches to the hammock. That looks like an adjustable loop in section 1 (albeit a small one) and the thing sticking out is the tail that's been backspliced (which explains why you have a bead in a fixed loop which is really an adjustable loop).

I'm not saying this is why your whoopies are slipping - I'm just saying that should be a fixed loop, not adjustable. Here's Opie's locked brummel pictoral. This should be the first thing you do when making a whoopie sling, then the adjustable loop and bury.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ummel+pictoral

The way you have it made, that adjustable loop on the hammock is bound to slip - the forces exerted on it are backward.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 10-14-2012 at 15:29.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Wait a sec, it looks like you don't have a fixed loop/locked brummel where it attaches to the hammock. That looks like an adjustable loop in section 1 (albeit a small one) and the thing sticking out is the tail that's been backspliced (which explains why you have a bead in a fixed loop which is really an adjustable loop).

I'm not saying this is why your whoopies are slipping - I'm just saying that should be a fixed loop, not adjustable. Here's Opie's locked brummel pictoral. This should be the first thing you do when making a whoopie sling, then the adjustable loop and bury.

The way you have it made, that adjustable loop on the hammock is bound to slip - the forces exerted on it are backward.
    I was just getting ready to comment on that too. Prob good idea to just cut off that piece sticking out, undo the bury, and tie yourself off a fixed loop by making a bowline or something and larkshead it back on your hammock. Just to clean it up. Always cool to fool around with splicing and learn the locked brummel too.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Just curious: where did you get the material and is it coated with anything slippery?

Mike

thank you so much for all your help and sugestions.

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Wilder, looks like you have a TurtleDog Stand. Would you like me to add it to the list?
    yes thank you

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Here's Opie's locked brummel pictoral. This should be the first thing you do when making a whoopie sling, then the adjustable loop and bury.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ummel+pictoral

that helped a lot; ill try that

Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Just curious: where did you get the material and is it coated with anything slippery?

Mike
    Redden Marine Supply, i guess its just the light

Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    I've always used a slippery half hitch at the end of my bury, mostly to get any extra line off the ground and to create a nice drip point for any rain.
    ill try that thank you

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234