Wbbb 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webb & buckl.
    Images
    I think a onepiece hammock-insulation-tarp would only work in fair weather. As soon as the tarp is moist from condensation or rain it will transfer moisture to the insulation when packing down.

Who wants to lay in a wet hammock?
    If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it.

I am learning from my mistakes, so I can make better and bigger mistakes.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

Wet hammock or moist.

In the past depending on which of various set ups I've gotten into a moist hammock and in the cold. My body heat dried it out quickly. So yes I've balled up the hammock and tarp together after shaking off as much water as possible from the tarp. I'd already separated the down goodness into a separate dry bag and I rolled up the tarp/hammock combo to keep them separate. In the sack that they went in eventually the moisture remaining on the tarp went to the hammock for a damp feel but nothing like wet. I just think there isnt enough hammock material to absorb that much water. So considering that I've on a super rare occasion woke up in a sweat-same amount of 'wetness' in the hammock. Why did I do this? Expediency/laziness really and me not wanting to get out from under the tarp when taking down. Now with the Dutch hook all the above is a moot point if your suspension goes through a sewn channel on the ends; and if the suspension is larks headed to the gathered end it's moot yet again.

Hammock
    modded grand trunk sb pro
    Tarp
    cammo 8' x 10'
    Suspension
    woopie
    i have thought about this many times. just sewing the bag in a cheap hammock withits own tarp and ridgline.. the problem is not in do-ability in my opinion it is in final packed size. altho im pretty sure you could get it down to a mangeable size if you had the right pack.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webb & buckl.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    In the past depending on which of various set ups I've gotten into a moist hammock and in the cold. My body heat dried it out quickly. So yes I've balled up the hammock and tarp together after shaking off as much water as possible from the tarp. I'd already separated the down goodness into a separate dry bag and I rolled up the tarp/hammock combo to keep them separate. In the sack that they went in eventually the moisture remaining on the tarp

So why didn't you just pack it as a one piece system complete with the down insulation? Beckause you knew it would lead to a moist hammock and more important: moist insulation?... I would like to see someone dry out their down or syntetic quilts with body heat

Your removal of the insulation layer before rolling the tarp/hammock together makes a two or three piece system instead of the OP's idea of a one piece wonder.

Just my 0.5 kroner

Harstad
    Last edited by Harstad; 10-14-2012 at 07:12.
    If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it.

I am learning from my mistakes, so I can make better and bigger mistakes.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harstad View Post
    I think a onepiece hammock-insulation-tarp would only work in fair weather. As soon as the tarp is moist from condensation or rain it will transfer moisture to the insulation when packing down.

With my modular sock, the only moisture that gets inside is condensation. So far, the condensation I have encountered evaporated in the five minutes it took to get dress and brush my teeth. On my last campout, I broke camp as it started to rain and the only moisture the sleeping bag was exposed to was condensation. And nearly all of that was gone by the time I packed it up.

I'm presently looking at replacing my reflectix pad with a SOL Escape bivvy. Beside boosting my temp rating, I expect that it will protect my sleeping bag from nearly all moisture, including condensation from my breath, except perhaps perspiration.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker View Post
    sounds like the dirigible, with added insulation.
    Yep, sounds like it. The Dirigible is a great idea/product! (is it a product yet?) If I wasn't already knee-deep and $120 into an idea of my own, I'd probably look to making a Dirigible.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

tarp/pod/hammock

I've been working on this, and have it completed, but, have not posted the finished idea till I have taken it out and tested it. The tarp is minimal, the hammock deep enough to be up to the ridge line, and an under pad envelope on the inside for a light weight pad, a modular under-quilt on the bottom. I don't want to put up pictures till I am sure it all works.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    WBBB double 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag,HG UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing

sulutions?

Quote Originally Posted by Harstad View Post

there could be solutions to this just brainstorming... #1- you could have a spacer between the actual hammock/pod and the tarp? please tell me if you think this is a good idea?!
    #2-you could have some sort of oiled sheet on the the pod part, and by oiled I mean like a duck but water will bead up and roll off, and you could easily put a new coat of oil on it!

quetions? comment? realy think this could revolutionize the backpacking/camping/luxury world! if anyone on here would like to give it a try let me know!? i'm a amature backpacker/hammocker so expert advice would be extremely helpful! thank you all!
    Dearly And Sincerely, Jonah! of the B B B!

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by backpakcking broof beauty View Post
    there could be solutions to this just brainstorming... #1- you could have a spacer between the actual hammock/pod and the tarp? please tell me if you think this is a good idea?!
    #2-you could have some sort of oiled sheet on the the pod part, and by oiled I mean like a duck but water will bead up and roll off, and you could easily put a new coat of oil on it!

quetions? comment? realy think this could revolutionize the backpacking/camping/luxury world! if anyone on here would like to give it a try let me know!? i'm a amature backpacker/hammocker so expert advice would be extremely helpful! thank you all!
    I have found that using 3/32" shock cord to cinch and wrap the ends of the pod, and then the tarp, has been more than sufficient keep water out.

Hammock
    WBBB double 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag,HG UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    well the conversation was about condensation on the inside of the tarp... but thats not bad either! again thanks everyone for comments and things that might help! and if anyone would like to take a whack at "it" let me kno under my name just send me message! I'de love to hear how it goes! remember I spelled my name wrong acidentily so it's under "backpakcking broof beauty" I acidentily put another k before the "cking"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast