DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    That was a review... LOL!!!! Certainly not the intention of the makers of any of the hydrophobic downs... Now if he had taken the sleep bag into the tent in a dry sack with a similair untreat bag as well and used them for the night then reviewed his observations in that humid tent while it was raining outside might be a little more creditable...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PackBacker View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j96yFJP0FzI outdoor gear lab tested the sierra designs dri down...kind of intresting although i dont think that is how they meant for them to use it.
    That is an interesting website, outdoorgearlab.com . And that was an interesting test on the Sierra Designs water resistant down. I just wish they had done a side by side with a Climashield, Primaloft or some other synthetic bag.

If I was paid up, I would find some really enlightening tests that were done by BPL comparing synthetic clothing vs down in some very wet conditions. But then it might not be legal to reprint it here.

But I am hearing conflicting info on the results of this super down. But sr1355's testing in the Olympics seem to indicate it is a worthwhile addition.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod &amp; DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide &amp; Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    Mositure vapor can be expereinced in any temp range given right conditions, i.e. temp, humidity, fog, mist, etc... In cold, winter conditions, the moisture vapor can condense in the down at what is call the dew point. At a point inside a quilt where the temp is a the dew point the moisture vapor can condense into liquid form on the insulation regardless of insulation type. This temp will vary with outside temps, humidity levels, etc... In my former career we using vapor barrier to prevent mositure migration into building assemblies so a vapor barrier between the quilt and you would be an effective solution for winter conditions to protect your insulation of choice.
    So, sr, a hydrophobic down treatment might be good in conditions besides extreme cold? Anywhere the dew point might be reached?

I guess the word "accumulated" above threw me. It would not necessarily "accumulate" until freezing, right?

If that is the case then down would not be the ideal insulator. One might be advised to switch to wool felt or a fleecy skin of some kind. Up North it would most probably be snowing anyway so one could pull a sled with all kinds of warm things in it.

Just thinking out loud ...

Mike

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    All things considered down is an excellent insulator even in extreme cold. Care to manage mositure vapor should be taken in extreme cold. I use a space blanket that I've modified to clip inside my UQ between the quilt and the hammock.Other consideration where a treated down would be a plus over standard down would be extended backpacking trips, coastal trips, rain forest trips, or other humid enviroments. Even on a wet and soggy weekend trip the treat down will holds its loft better given the conditions.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234