Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    EE RevX, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware, Trees
    Images

DIY Socks

Got a chance to see MedicineMan's and Poof's Dirigible and Graf cuban hammock socks at last weekend's MAHHA. WOW

I'm very interested in learning more about socks in general and thinking about doing something similar as a DIY project. Any advice or pointers that more experienced folks could provide would be most appreciated! TIA.
    see you on the trail,
    Mike

#optoutside

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Contact HangingOut and MedicineMan since they are the ones who worked together on this project. They'd surely have a lot of tips for you since they are into the 3rd generation on this project. Would be great if you'd post those tips here since many are interested, esp. since the MAHHA house tours.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    If you are making a sock for use under a tarp it is a fairly simple project. A sock is basically like a removable bug net. There are several designs for these on the forums. I suggest checking out the TED design by Pippsissewa .

If you want it to be waterproof breathable then that's another story. I am about done with a silnylon version of the cuben socks mentioned above. Just need some trail time to test. I am really waiting for some cold weather testing before giving these socks a thumbs up.

Hammock
    Tinkr Custom, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    EE RevX, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware, Trees
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    If you are making a sock for use under a tarp it is a fairly simple project. A sock is basically like a removable bug net. There are several designs for these on the forums. I suggest checking out the TED design by Pippsissewa .

If you want it to be waterproof breathable then that's another story. I am about done with a silnylon version of the cuben socks mentioned above. Just need some trail time to test. I am really waiting for some cold weather testing before giving these socks a thumbs up.

Hangnout - Thanks for the reply and the links - will definitely check those out.

MedicineMan did mention that you were working on a silnylon version but I wasn't sure on the time frame. I'd be very interested to learn more as you get the results from your trail testing.

I was especially interested in how those particular socks seemed to eliminate the need for a separate tarp and could be pitched in a variety of fashions to accommodate differing wind and weather conditions - seemed to be a very versatile piece of gear.

He did also show how the socks incorporated breathable fabric to eliminate condensation and mentioned that it worked very well in his field tests in varying conditions. Seems like this would be a needed feature when using coated fabrics like silnylon - is it not usually addressed in other sock designs?

Thanks again to Medicineman for sharing his experiences and to you taking the time to educate a noob - I appreciate it!
    see you on the trail,
    Mike

#optoutside

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Foot View Post
    I was especially interested in how those particular socks seemed to eliminate the need for a separate tarp and could be pitched in a variety of fashions to accommodate differing wind and weather conditions - seemed to be a very versatile piece of gear.

He did also show how the socks incorporated breathable fabric to eliminate condensation and mentioned that it worked very well in his field tests in varying conditions. Seems like this would be a needed feature when using coated fabrics like silnylon - is it not usually addressed in other sock designs?
    With the silnylon I am also using a W/B fabric similar in design to the cuben versions. It is going to weigh less that 20 oz which is not bad compared to a silnylon winter tarp. If it works it will be very economical compared to the cuben version

Most socks used under a tarp are made with non waterproof breathable fabric. Some designs have used silnyon on the bottom. These do require a tarp but do a great job of retaining heat.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I've made 2 socks. One from 1.1 ripstop and the other from polyester fabric.
    Use them with a tarp and the heat retention is great.
    The 1.1 sil is made from 48" seconds from DIY Gear - never saw a flaw. It's an exact replica of Fronkey's bug net. It's short, but used with my underquilt protector. Needs to be made from some fabric about 60" to generate some more warmth and get a better seal along the bottom.
    The poly one was done from some 45" fabric from WMT, but was too short and I added another ft to the side lengths. The poly is a good fabric to experiment with since it's about $2/yd. I also messed around with the bottom cut/taper and may do some more alteration. The most likely improvement will be to sew up the bottom entry and add in an end hook & loop entry. This will also allow for easier set up. Did this one in bright orange, aka hunters orange since it's going hunting with me and will serve as my camp. Don't want to be mistaken for a lazy elk lounging in the woods.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    +1 for the Ted design. I make them from 1.1 ripstop 2nds (DWR coated). No problems with condensation and has good breathability. It blocks the constant Indiana wind really well.

Very easy to make and use.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I'll add another recommendation for using the TED bugnet design for a winter sock. It can be made to open on one or both sides of the hammock. Pips, who came up with this using hangnout's shockcord closure, open's on both sides. I think Redoleary posted one that he made to open on only one side.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts