Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by [o]TTeR View Post
    Np, let me know if you have any questions??

An interesting and potentially concerning observation was sent to me in PM, the Head Post in the LOTR shot appears to curve under stress. The post is pine and will flex but this turned out to be a slight "Fish-eye" visual effect caused but setting my DSLR Zoom lens down to 18mm to get most of the room in the shot. The shot was cropped off-center so you don’t see it on the other side.

That being said, the pine "framing" wood is cheap for reason (soft and lower quality), had I known this project was going to be successful I would have made the prototype out of hardwood! The next stand will be maple (I think?).

P.s. The same Fish-Eye effect is also making me look 20/30lbs more "fluffy" then I actually am

Thanks for the heads up but I do take full responsibility for falling on my arse . I am considering going with 4x4's thru the center(posts and base). May be overkill but would def be stronger.

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images

Recliner Field Testing

Finally got the Recliner off the stand and out between the trees where it belongs! The field test didn't let me down, this DIY Project was successful!

More Trip Shots...
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    DIY nirvana and he's also a photographer extraordinaire! Schweet!
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I have been thinking. So what I came up with was my DIY 1.5 oz digital camo hammock and my HG Phoenix. Here are the pics.
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Still need to build the stand, but at least I have the recliner part figured out, and those trees work pretty good.

And since I am using the HG UQ, this is also posted in the pic thread started by Stormcrow..
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    DIY nirvana and he's also a photographer extraordinaire! Schweet!
    Thanks my Friend! "Photographer extraordinaire!"...too kind . I’m bring a couple of Recliners to Spring MAHHA, looking forward to hanging with you & Ben in April!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    I have been thinking. So what I came up with was my DIY 1.5 oz digital camo hammock and my HG Phoenix. Here are the pics.
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Still need to build the stand, but at least I have the recliner part figured out, and those trees work pretty good.

And since I am using the HG UQ, this is also posted in the pic thread started by Stormcrow..
    Fantastic, I’ve been wondering if 3/4 length Quilt would sit well on a halved Hammock length… & now we know! How long is the DIY Hammock and did it need to be “Quilt Hooked” along the sides??
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    This is the second hammock that I had every made, and don't remember the length, as it's been awhile. I'll get a measurement in a few. I didn't use and hooks. It did make getting in a little bit of a pain. I have a few small light weight plastic clamps that I will try, next time. Ohhh, the problem was trying to keep both layers together, along the edge. I sat down one time, and couldn't figure out why I had a ridge of fabric up my butt. Stood up and found that I didn't have the out edges of the lower and upper fabric together. As for the quilt, I tightened up what they call the secondary suspension I think, that would be the shock cord running across the ends. That kept the wind from coming in from the top and bottom. It was about 50 degs out, and I was toasty warm on the backside. I played back into it and could pull the quilt out past my head, but just a little. I didn't have the room to pull it out around my sides, or nor much.

I doubled the hammock, shortened the whoopies and hooked both on the Dutch buckle. On the other end, where the fabric is doubled over, I used a 19" amsteel "dog bone" doubled over. Both ends hooked on the other Dutch buckle, with the hammock running through it. Thanks for the idea and inspiring me to make this. I need to make a stand for use in the house, and to take on car camping trips.......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    Ohhh, the problem was trying to keep both layers together, along the edge. I sat down one time, and couldn't figure out why I had a ridge of fabric up my butt. Stood up and found that I didn't have the out edges of the lower and upper fabric together. As for the quilt, I tightened up what they call the secondary suspension I think, that would be the shock cord running across the ends. That kept the wind from coming in from the top and bottom.
    I doubled the hammock, shortened the whoopies and hooked both on the Dutch buckle. On the other end, where the fabric is doubled over, I used a 19" amsteel "dog bone" doubled over. Both ends hooked on the other Dutch buckle, with the hammock running through it. Thanks for the idea and inspiring me to make this. I need to make a stand for use in the house, and to take on car camping trips.......RR
    The Recliner has the same issue, there isn’t anything holding the layers together on the hems, sometimes you sit down in “Goose down” bliss, sometimes you just get ”goosed” …. I also have to find and hold the edges before I sit down. As for the draft, I just realized I didn’t explain the lower suspension very well… I use a Descended Ring to fold the hammock, this allows the fabric to adjust freely when weighted, it also reduces the “wear & tear” on the hammock. A Dynaglide Loop and DW Quilt Hook are attached above the ring to provide an attachment point for the quilt suspension. Unfortunately this may not work for the HG Phoenix, I think the channel is continues along the foot end, is there a loop thread injected on foot end in the center??

Attached Images Attached Images
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    With the HG Phoenix, I have the suspension hooked just like I do with the hammock. The little S biner is attached to the shock cord, and then to my tree strap, just above the Dutch Buckle. In the pic, you can see the recliner suspension in the middle, and one side of the UQ by my right leg, the other side is by my left leg, under the tail end of the strap. The Phoenix has the draft collars, so that helps stop, well, the draft. I just had to pull it tighter than when on my hammock.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Roadrunnr72; 11-06-2012 at 21:04.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    AUpdate: Finally got the stand built.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I used a 3/8" spike for my pin to hold the seat.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I converted a hammock that I messed up on when making. I was trying to make a stretch side hammock and didn't do such a great job. So I converted it for use on this stand. Here is the reason, my daughter was sitting in it last night with another hammock I had, but she kept moving around and the two layers kept shifting, eventually she would end up sitting on the lower bar. So I took the messed up hammock, put it through a welded ring and then thread injected the two layers together so they wouldn't shift. It is now made just for the stand, but my daughter stole the stand, she ended up sleeping in it last night. These pics were taken this morning after I finished with a few small details that I didn't finish last night.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I am pretty happy with the outcome, and my daughter told me that I need to build another, for ME
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Roadrunnr72; 11-11-2012 at 11:18.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension