Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am trying to wrap my head around how a UQ will sit on a asym hammock. Most pics I have seen the hammock has been empty so you see a hammock toastily wrapped in a bubble of downie goodness. Am I right in thinking that with the asym lay you are not really wrapped like a cocoon? the foot area and head area are spread more open? So in those areas you are more relying on the TQ for warmth but for the part of you actully touching the hammock? What I guess I am wondering is the side of the hammock oposite of say your feet is kinda wasted UQspace?

Re: DIY Full-Length Underquilt: Step by Step

I have rigged my diy uq on my asym hammock with 2 clips sewn onto loops on the uq and hammock to keep it off centre, and lengths of shockcord to pull it taut round the ends of the hammock. Bit of a faff to rig but once youre in there its toasty at and around 0 degrees C.

I looked for asym uq guidance but theres not an awful lot forthcoming.

HTH

Nick

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Images

Re: DIY Full-Length Underquilt: Step by Step

Stalker42: Yes, I think the down on the side of the UQ away from my feet is a waste. For my next quilt I am thinking of shifting the baffles around to better follow the angle of my body.

But things worked pretty well on another test hang last night. I was using my new Darien UL. It has quilt hooks built into it (yeah!) and they helped. The new triangular fabric helped a lot; no way for my feet to pop out of the quilt. Finally, I used a clothes pin to connect the quilt to the hammock where my shoulder opposite my feet lay. Everything stayed where it should and I was shedding clothes during a potty break because I was so warm. Progress.

I too have found little info on the asym nature of a flat lay, as it applies to an UQ. And it's not relevant to just those hammocks sewn w an asym pattern. Anyone who tries for a flat lay is in an asym position. So unless you have a super wide UQ I would think you'd face this problem. And if so, a lot of your down is doing nothing, because it is following a contour that your body is not.
    Last edited by hammock_monk; 02-25-2013 at 08:05.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Images

Diy uq 2.0

Okay, here is the first design drawing for my second underquilt. Changes are designed to make this quilt more effective for warmth and more efficient for down:

• Lengthen the quilt but shorten the down chambers. UQ1 has an insulated length longer than necessary for me, but the overall length could be longer for suspension purposes.
    • Put the down where it matters and not where it doesn't. UQ1 insulates parts of the hammock where I don't lay and doesn't always stay where I do lay. So, UQ2 will be wider overall but have down chambers on the left for my upper body and the right for my legs--same alignment as my Darien UL hammock.
    • Add draft collars top and bottom; these were not necessary on UQ1 but I will use them here where not all of the quilt will be down-filled.

This design is much more experimental than my first one but I am feeling more confident now about my design and construction abilities and also know more about my individual needs in an underquilt.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Images
    Here is a shot including baffles and part of the outer layer. I can see that the sewing on this will be much more complex than the first UQ. Is it worth it for the changes, I wonder?

If I calculate the total area of the inner layer (down chambers only), UQ2 has 2,671 sq in, versus 3,120 for UQ1. That will reduce volume substantially, increasing overstuff (UQ1 feels a bit understuffed). If I can do the sewing, and the fit works as envisioned, it may indeed be better performing with the same overall amount of fill.
    Last edited by hammock_monk; 03-10-2013 at 17:18. Reason: Changed into hiking clothes ;-)

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Images
    Marking and cutting the inner layer today. It's pretty much as shown, with a few adjustments made after creating a pattern out of newspaper and hanging it on the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I am very interested in seeing a final product. Good luck!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Images
    I got the inner layer measured and cut and sewed the baffles to it. Now I realize that I need to draw out the outer layer before I proceed. Figuring out the seam between the lengthwise tubes and the draft collars is going to be the tricky part. I'm not at all convinced that the draft collars are worth the trouble but it'll be an adventure.
    Last edited by hammock_monk; 03-11-2013 at 19:37.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Images
    I've now drawn the outer layer. I measured from the actual, marked and cut inner layer, adding width and length as necessary to allow for the arc of down chambers, the sides of outer chambers, outer wall of draft collar, etc. In some cases, there are inconsistencies with earlier drawings because I made adjustments when marking and cutting the inner layer.

The image is shot from below because I will be marking the inside of this layer; in other words, the side that will actually attach to no-see-um baffles. That was not necessary with my last UQ--which was symetrical--but is important here, because this one is not.

Hammock
    Amazon
    Insulation
    UQ Blank
    Suspension
    D.I.Y. Whoopies
    Makes sense putting the down where it belongs, really nice and well thought out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast