Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2012 Fall Cub & Family at Boxwell Reservation - Middle Tennessee Council

As promised in my first thread here " A Big Thank You to "hangnout" and "2Sticks" ! " here is the trip report from 2012 Fall Cub & Family Weekend at Boxwell Reservation - Middle Tennessee Council...

Friday 12 OCT 2012 : The day started off with thunder showers from 0130 hrs and lasted until 0600 hrs . It was still misting all morning long but I got everything loaded out on a 16 foot trailer for the weekends adventure with Cub Scout Pack 640. We headed to Boxwell Reservation around 1530 hrs after linking up with one of the other Adult Leaders and landed at Boxwell at 1615 hrs to receive the Packs assigned camping spot along the lake front. Started setting and the first thing was CJ7's and Myself's hammocks followed by getting the trailer set up for the kitchen. Camp started to slowly come together and other Families from the Pack started arriving. We picked out the best spots for the Tents and got to work setting them up as night was creeping upon us. All tents set by 1830 hrs and the elevated fire ring set and rolling so the boys could begin making smores. At 2030 hrs I put CJ7 to bed in his hammock so I could be at the Key Leader meeting at 2100 hrs and he passed out rather quickly from all the excitement and running around earlier. After the meeting all the Parents were still up and I conducted a quick meeting to go over the events that would take place Saturday along with the maps to where the events would take place. I want to say the temps that evening were creeping in the low 50's but we never noticed because we were both using MSS to sleep with inside our hammocks.

Saturday 13 OCT 2012 : Awoke around 0545 with CJ7 telling me he had to go potty so I rolled out of the MSS and got dressed rather quickly and got him dressed and down to the latrine in time for no accidents. Got back to camp and got the old Coleman fired up and Coffee on. 0615 hrs was joined by the other Adult Leaders to start cooking Morning Chow consisting of 4 dozen eggs , 12 lbs of bacon , 8 lbs of sausage and 30 lbs of hash browns. After all Boys and Families were fed they headed up to the Flag Pole for the morning Flag Raising Ceremony at 0845 hrs. After the Flag raising everybody returned to camp so they could receive the Range Safety Briefing for BB Gun and Archery. Everybody headed out in their groups to the different Events and the Leaders that stayed behind cleaned up the camp site and started doing the dishes and prepped for lunch. 1230 hrs the groups from our Pack started rolling back in for chow and 75 cold cut sandwiches and 5 gallons of mixed vegetable soup was served. 1330 hrs the Groups headed back out to finish off the Events and also some went Fishing. 1700 hrs Everybody once again rolled back on and Evening Chow was served consisting of Hamburgers, Hotdogs, Baked Potatoes and Baked Beans. 1830 hrs we had our Pack "Camp Fire" Ceremony were we Promoted 11 Boys to Bobcat and also handed out their Fall Camp Patches. At the conclusion of the ceremony we dug into the 1 Peach Cobbler and 1 Apple Cobbler ( I love my 2 Dutch Ovens ) . The Boys ran around until 2130 hrs and slowly headed off to Bed. I got CJ7 loaded back up in his Hammock and he was out in no time once again with me to follow an hour later after the Adults talked and made sure the fire was put out. It wasn't nearly as chilly as the previous night and before I passed out all I heard was snoring all around me.

Sunday 14 OCT 2012 : Up at 0545 hrs by CJ7 having the call of nature. 0630 hrs start breaking camp and getting everyone fed Cereal, Otis Spunkmeyer Muffins, Coffee and O.J. . 0730 hrs Devotional followed by 0745 hrs Police Call of our area and trailer fully loaded to head back to Smyrna. 0830 hrs released by Camp Staff and was head homeward bound.

I would once again like to Thank "hangnout" and "2sticks" for making CJ7's first time camping a memorial experience.

Tread Lightly and Leave No Trace
    Last edited by WickedKlown2; 10-15-2012 at 08:37.

Sounds like a great trip. I had my cubs out this weekend, too. My Tiger and I stayed warm in our hammocks
    NOOB!
    My hammock: Warbonnet 1.7 Double
    My sons hammock: Hennessy Hammock Expedition w/ 2QZQ Mod 4
    Spare: ENO Double Nest.

Just saw the pix of the wheels for the dutch oven. Great idea. I use metal oil pans
    NOOB!

Dcdoes,

Those are 16" metal feed pans you can pick up at Tractor Supply Co. for $ 4 a piece ( I use a total of 4 ) . One is turned upside down ( to keep the ground from catching fire ) while the other placed right side up for holding the coals. It was an enjoyable weekend and I could not have asked for better weather.

Hammock
    The Green Mile (diy gathered end)
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Leighlo,Kaq, WLSS
    Suspension
    straps and slings
    Images
    My sons a cub scout and this looks like a great trip. Can't wait til our campout @ camp daniel Boone in a couple of weeks
    "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

revbknox,

It is an exciting time and I know your Cubs will enjoy it and I sincerely hope this nice weather holds for your campout. I can't wait to see your trip report as well.

CJ7 cannot stop talking about it and I know I will receive a note from the Teacher today about him talking in class about the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedKlown2 View Post
    Dcdoes,

Those are 16" metal feed pans you can pick up at Tractor Supply Co. for $ 4 a piece ( I use a total of 4 ) . One is turned upside down ( to keep the ground from catching fire ) while the other placed right side up for holding the coals.
    What a great idea!
    NOOB!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Sounds like you need a break after that weekend! Glad the hammock worked out for CJ7. Looks like everyone had a good time.

Good Hangin'

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    WK2,

Thanks for the trip update. Sounds like you had a blast. There's nothing better than seeing young ones learning about and exploring the great outdoors.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Great report, Dave! Looks like everyone had fun. It's ironic--scouting is the reason I started using a hammock. Got real tired of sleeping on the rocks & roots and having to lug the 4+ lbs. ground-dweller environmental protection apparatus (aka, a t*&t) on the 20+ mile hikes. Talk about an easy convert! Again, great report--memories to last a lifetime.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast