ultralight backpacker but still a big boy

I'm 6'2" 190 lbs and trying to convert to hanging. My base pack weight floats from 10-12 lbs. I'm not obsessive about a number and understand that being a bit bigger means I have heavier gear.

I gave the HH hyperlight a shot and it was an improvement over sleeping on the ground, but I feel like I might be happier with a larger hammock. I'm currently looking at the WBBB or WBT with mosquito net. I like that I can leave the net home when it isn't mosquito season.

being close to the 200 lb limit on the 1.1 would the 1.7 be more comfortable?

If I wanted to test out a gathered end hammock similar to the wbt is there a comparable ENO hammock that I could get at REI to see if I like the fit?

-Loki

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Don't mark out Wilderness Logics....I love my lite owl, and I hear the Snipe is just as nice. My advise would be to try and attend a local hang. Most people are very friendly about letting others check out their gear.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Images
    If you liked the Hennessy other than the fit, I am 6'1 and very happy with my Explorer UL. It is definitely better for someone my size than my brother's expedition(which should be the same size as the hyperlite I believe).

Ragnall

Don't forget DreamHammock, But In A Sling, and Warbonnet either...

There are plenty of other hammocks that you can get that will fit your body type/size and still keep a lightweight pack, remember its all in the details of "every" piece, so even if you take a slight hit in the hammock itself, you can cut weight in other areas to even it out.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    LOL, if you are a "big boy" at 6' 2" 190 I shudder to think what I am at 6' 2" and 280. You are a tall boy, not a big boy.

I've been the most comfortable at my size in WBBB, a 2008 edition DD Travel Hammock, and a Claytor Jungle Hammock. The WBBB was the most comfortable thanks to the foot pocket. The latest hammock I am playing with now is a Wilderness Logics Night Owl.

Length wise, you should be fine in most hammocks.. My height wasn't an issue for me, what was an issue was my weight. Certain materials stretched badly at my weight making some hammocks not work at all. You don't have this problem, I wish I was your weight.. it'd open up many more hammocks for me to try.

I'm a whole lot bigger than you and find the ENO DN very comfortable.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Beetle
    I am a big guy too at 6' and about 250 now.

I have both the HH expedition and explorer ultralight, along with a BIAS Camper hammock. I like the HH's but have had issues in them with being comfortable in them lengthwise.

I found that the BIAS hammock works better for me, I am much more comfortable in it than I ever was in the HH's. The BIAS is a longer hammock, which makes all the difference in the world. I would recommend that you try one of their hammocks.

I haven't tried any of the WB's yet, I hope to try one out if I can make it to traildays this year.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 SL, WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, MacCat
    Insulation
    HG 40,20 Leighlo20
    Suspension
    whoop slings/hooks
    im 6' 6'' 230 and fit well on a warbonnet blackbird 1.1 double layer

Hammock
    BIAS ww-switchback-WBRR
    Tarp
    tadpole
    Insulation
    underground quilts
    Suspension
    whoopies,strap
    My experience in hammocks is minimal compared to a lot of folks here.I have 2 channel end hammocks which I like.However,for me,my new bridge is the cats' meow-open,extremely flat lay, albeit,a bit heavy and a little tippy like a like a solo canoe.I'm 6'@170.As others have said,try as many as you can.Or,jump right in,make your best guess.Worst case senario-you'll end up with several.

• + New Posts