Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images

ss pad

Can anyone tell me if one of the super shelter foam pads would work by themselves (without the undercover?).... or would it work with the 2qzq underquilt protector? In other words, does the foam pad hold itself fairly tight to the hammock, or does the hennesy undercover do most of the work keeping it close to the hammock?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    HEX
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Thats a good question. I have been using the Super shelter for almost 2 years now but have never tried the pad by its self. I have used the under cover alone in warm weather. The pad and under cover work together to hold the pad up.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    There have been previous threads where folks have used it to supplement a UQ.

I personally think the SS pad by itself MIGHT work in relatively warm conditions. I don't think you'd have much success with it in most fall/spring/winter conditions.

From what I've seen/heard, I don't think it would work well with a UQP...because the UQP doesn't hang nearly as snugly as the HHSS does. There'd be too much of an airgap for it to add any real insulative value.

I was thinking about the same thing.
    Its raining right now so I think I will set up camp tonight in my living room and try it out on a few different hammocks..I was really curious to see how it will do on a WBRR. I think it would work fairly well on the RR with the Spindrift. I will also try it on a longer hammock and see what kind of fit I can get on them.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Excellent spaceweaseal! I'm really interested if the undercover provides support for the pad, or if the undercover is just there to block the wind.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Standard + HH HEx
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Standard+Figure9
    I had a brief email conversation with the HH people that ventured in to this area. My understanding is that the undercover helps position the pad the correct distance below the hammock for best efficiency. My guess is that you could use the pad on its own, but it works best in conjunction with the undercover. I will be most interested to see what people find out in practice....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceweaseal View Post
    I was thinking about the same thing.
    Its raining right now so I think I will set up camp tonight in my living room and try it out on a few different hammocks..I was really curious to see how it will do on a WBRR. I think it would work fairly well on the RR with the Spindrift. I will also try it on a longer hammock and see what kind of fit I can get on them.
    There is someone here- in GA? but can't remember who right now - that has used the pad alone quite a lot in not so cold weather, and seemed happy with it. But I think any puff of wind would really suck the heat out of that open cell foam. And you will probably have to play around with the suspension to make up for the missing UC's elastic suspension.

I did try it on a safari just a few minutes ago and without a UC I don't see any benefits using the pad.
    There is just too many gaps and will not be any help in even a very mild breeze. I did not try it with a UQ over it because it just did not make sense to me since the pad is very bulky and I just can't see myself wanting to carry the pad when I have a UQ that works on it's own. I will still try it on the WBRR tomorrow with the Spindrift sock. I think it will probaly work better because of the shape of the hammock. I just don't have the patience tonight to mess with it anymore.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    There is someone here- in GA? but can't remember who right now - that has used the pad alone quite a lot in not so cold weather, and seemed happy with it. But I think any puff of wind would really suck the heat out of that open cell foam. And you will probably have to play around with the suspension to make up for the missing UC's elastic suspension.
    Nope, not GA, but SC: it was NewtonGT, he has used the pad alone quite a bit and was pretty happy with it:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=33005

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Hey billybob I appreciate the message! Yea I havent been as active on here as I want to be. I miss it here but I've been real busy lately, But back to the point. I've used the under pay several times without the cover. I was very comfortable in it and it would lay tight against me without the help of the cover. And obviously it doesnth have the cover to help trap the heat but it does make the hammock a little more warmer. I've used it down around the 40's . But again if your going out in the cold always bring more than you need to make sure your comfy
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast