BB XLC Single Layer
    Tarp
    GT Funky Forrest
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

JRB Hudson River vs. HG 20* Incubator

Okay guys, here's a question I need answered. The HG Incubator is a full underquilt with 12 oz. 900 power fill down. It has 2" baffles and a loft of 2.5" getting you to a 20* rating. All of this for a price of $239 and free shipping! Sounds like a great deal but I wanted options sooooo..... Stumbled on the JRB HR which is currently on sale for $229. That is when configured with the 800 power fill down and I wanted a more fair comparison. After making the selection of the 900 fill down the price goes to $259 and that doesn't include the cost of shipping at $14.95. So now we have a UQ that is going to cost $275. These quilts a very similar and the only obvious design difference is the baffles go in opposite directions. My question is what makes the JRB quilt worth $45 more than the incubator? Am I missing something? Someone please school me!

Oh, one of these quilts will be going on a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro that I have. Any compatibility issues would also be useful info as well. Thanks for the help!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 double
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchwaregear flyz
    Just one man's opinion, but buy the Incubator and never look back. I have both an incubator and another underquilt from Underground Quilts that are top notch. In fact, the UGQ is a little wider. To the best of my knowledge almost any hammock will fit these quilts. They are both very adjustable. Also very warm and I'm a cold sleeper. But, you can't go wrong with HG or UGQ - quality stuff.
    Best of luck to you.
    Jeff.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    It can be a bit tricky looking at stats and trying to make comparisons. I have a JRB HRQ and a HG Burrow. Both well made. Between the HRQ and the Incubator the HRQ is 4" wider and doesn't have as much tapper at the ends. Whether this matters i don't know . Also My understanding is that the difference between 800 and 900 is weight , not warmth. I've tried to buy something from everyone, sort of spread my $$ to all the vendors. Some people have had the HRQ(800 fill) down to 20 degrees, others not. The nice thing about the HRQ is its versatility as UQ and TQ,,not sure if the Incubator does or not. I think performance wise you'll be happy with most if not all TQ's and UQ's within their general range. I use WB Yeti's as UQ's,,work good for me. I find stats get you into the ballpark but you can't rely on them. You have to test and see what works for you. Go with your gut. Good hunting

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    +1 on what Mbiraman said:

Hudson River can be used as a top or under-quilt, while the HG Incubator is designed as an under-quilt only. That versatility is worth something. Only you can decide how much that is.

The other numbers you can crunch by yourself:

HR: 20 ounces Inc: 22.5 ounces
    HR: 78x48" Inc: 78x44"

I've got 2 incubators and I'm happy, but I like JRB's products, too--I've got a BMBH. You really can't go wrong with either of these two fine companies.

Happy shopping!

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a JRB Hudson River but I use it for my 3 season top quilt down to 30 degrees. For me I start feeling cold below 30F in it. I've also used it in a pinch as an under quilt doubled up with my Warbonnet 3 Season Yeti for winter use and it actually worked pretty well. The HR is plenty big for use as an under quilt and gives good coverage.

That said, if I was looking to get a dedicated full length under quilt I would definitely choose the HG Incubator between the two because the Incubator is specifically designed to be used as an under quilt and is going to fit better with it's tapered ends and dual differential radial baffles. The fact that it's less expensive makes it a better way to go as well...unless you want dual use out of the quilt. In that case JRB Hudson River would be the way to go.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Actually I have a few sets of HG quilts and yes, you can use the UQ as a TQ. Used it that way last year in February when I was forced to sleep on the ground(shudder!) when the girlfriend wanted to share her tent with me(as bear protection, seriously, do you think I can fight off a bear?) and claimed my TQ as her own. Its fine for a single person and you can even snug up one of the ends as a footbox.

Hammock
    BB XLC Single Layer
    Tarp
    GT Funky Forrest
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Thanks everyone! I guess I really want the JRB HR but am struggling to pay the premium. My brother in law has the HG Incubator and I don't really like having the same exact gear as others I camp with. It's always fun to see the variety of gear people use. I don't want to make show and tell boring!

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.1
    Tarp
    HG cuben fiber
    Insulation
    40/20 HG jRB HR
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Have both an love the both

I own both, Love them both. I use the Hudson River as a top quilt but have used it as UQ a few time too. For me it came down to price at the end when deciding to go with a HG for my UQ. At JRB you have to buy the suspension, and pay shipping with the HG it comes with suspension and the price you see includes shipping. I still love JRB, I also own a JRB Shenandoah used as a 40 degree TQ for warmer weather with 40 degree HG incubator.

Net

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    My first UQ was a HammockGear and my first TQ was JRB. I'll probably continue to buy HG UQs an JRB TQs because I had such a positive experience with both.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Netmonster View Post
    I own both, Love them both. I use the Hudson River as a top quilt but have used it as UQ a few time too. For me it came down to price at the end when deciding to go with a HG for my UQ. At JRB you have to buy the suspension, and pay shipping with the HG it comes with suspension and the price you see includes shipping. I still love JRB, I also own a JRB Shenandoah used as a 40 degree TQ for warmer weather with 40 degree HG incubator.

Net
    I made my own suspension for the HR for use as an underquilt - it allows me a lot of adjustability to get it dialed in just right and not compress the down. I say if you're looking for a dedicated underquilt, go with the Incubator. If you want a very versatile quilt for both uses, do the Hudson River.
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast