Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs
    Quote Originally Posted by [o]TTeR View Post
    Lately, it seems like there’s an “Introduce Yourself” post from a new Canada HF Member every other day. It’s great to watch the trend gain momentum as more outdoor enthusiasts discover and adopt this camping lifestyle known as “The right way!”

I was introduced to Hammock Camping and HF in 2009 by a friend and fellow forum member Mick; I have not slept on the ground (mud, puddle, rocks, roots…) since, I can honestly say there's no chance of returning to it!. Being curious about the gaining trend (beyond your intro post), I’d like to posse these questions, how did you discover Hammock Forums and how is the overall hammock adoption going??
    Hey gang,

My first hammock experience I had was back in 1989 when I was working on an oil tanker. We spent a lot of time in South America. One of my buddies on the ship made rope hammocks. It was so hot down south that I started sleeping out on deck in my hammock. Much cooler that way and awesome sleep. My hammock was stolen from my backyard several years later.
    I replaced it with a cheap string hammock but it was not comfortable at all.

Several years past... I always camped in a tent (I still have three) I only go to a tent when camping with my son as he doesn't have a hammock. I started researching alcohol stoves. I found Tinny's Minibulldesigns site and hung out there for several years and bought lots of stoves. I met forum members PS and Shug over there. PS told me about hammocks and I watched a few Shug videos. Lurked here on HF for a while then joined. Been enjoying the whole hammock life since. I love to get out for solo hikes and ovenights and I video a few of my adventures. Now I spend quite a bit of time hanging out on the Forum and I always see items that can be re-purposed for ultralight hiking.

Got my Forum name from a nickname I have from my Scuba Diving. (part time instructor) All my gear is black except my blue fins.

That is how I got into hammocking.
    Take care,
    Bluefin

Bluefin's Videos

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shingaling View Post
    Also, though Hamilton is obviously a very urban area, there are plenty of sections of the Escarpment that are steep and rocky enough that you could hang there and be alone (wouldn't do it in Hamilton proper, but in Dundas, Stoney Creek, Burlington, etc.). It intrigues me that a hammock and two trees could turn an inhospitable rock pile into a perfectly usable campsite.
    You and I have a bit in common; I'm a born & raised “Steel town Kid”, I grew up at the end of Parkdale (Glow Avenue) and know every inch of the Bruce trail from Grimsby to Ancaster. I also got into this for the DIY
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm Swedish, not Canadian, but my first real camping trip with a hammock was in northern Ontario:

Besides, up there, EVERYTHING is so much like Sweden that we are anyway the same.. my Canadian gf agrees too!

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Just an FYI...For those in driving range of the "Golden Horseshoe" (around the West end of Lake Ontario), An overnight "Car Camping" trip planning thread has been started Here!
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123