Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images

Hammock camping trends in Canada!

Lately, it seems like there’s an “Introduce Yourself” post from a new Canada HF Member every other day. It’s great to watch the trend gain momentum as more outdoor enthusiasts discover and adopt this camping lifestyle known as “The right way!”

I was introduced to Hammock Camping and HF in 2009 by a friend and fellow forum member Mick; I have not slept on the ground (mud, puddle, rocks, roots…) since, I can honestly say there's no chance of returning to it!. Being curious about the gaining trend (beyond your intro post), I’d like to posse these questions, how did you discover Hammock Forums and how is the overall hammock adoption going??
    Last edited by [o]TTeR; 10-19-2012 at 11:57.
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    HH Backpacker ultralight zip
    Tarp
    OWL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HH SS
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Hi Otter,

I was interested in Hammocks when I first saw one hanging in the local MEC. I finally bought the bullet a while back and invested in a HH ultralight backpacker (with both tarps). Aside from family camps (where I have to sleep in the tent with the kids) I have not been to ground since.

As for Hammock Forums; I was researching as much as I could about hammocks before purchasing and a google search revealed this site. I have been reading a lot but not posting very much as I have had little to add to the wealth of information on this site.

Finn

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Saw hammocks being used in the rain forest. Thought it was an incredible way to camp. Begun my research and lo and behold I was not alone!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I've noticed the same trend. Lots of new Ontario members popping up.

Quote Originally Posted by [o]TTeR View Post
    ...I’d like to posse these questions, how did you discover Hammock Forums and how is the overall hammock adoption going??
    I'm not new but I'll chime in if that's OK.

I discovered HF by way of a few other forums. In 2005 I was in need of a really good flashlight and discovered CandlePowerForums. Flashlights were not only a tool but a hobby. Many of the flashoholics on that forum talked about EDC (Everyday Carry) gear and with flashlights, a natural accompaniment are knives which lead me to Bladeforums. Of course knives are an intergral part of bushcraft so natrually I discovered BushcraftUSA. Because bushcraft involves getting out into the woods it was inevitable that I discovered HF through some link or mention of hammock camping.

I bought a Clark Jungle Hammock back in 1998 because I was looking for something more comfortable for backpacking. I never found it that comfortable and there was no info at the time as there is today to help out so it never really got used.

In 2010, HF made the transition from the ground easy due to the info and advice that is found here. I did not have any major problems adjusting. Like many here, I can't see myself ever going back to ground. As Dutch has said, "I pee on the ground, why would I want to sleep on it."
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BCFinn View Post
    Hi Otter,

I was interested in Hammocks when I first saw one hanging in the local MEC. I finally bought the bullet a while back and invested in a HH ultralight backpacker (with both tarps). Aside from family camps (where I have to sleep in the tent with the kids) I have not been to ground since.

As for Hammock Forums; I was researching as much as I could about hammocks before purchasing and a google search revealed this site. I have been reading a lot but not posting very much as I have had little to add to the wealth of information on this site.

Finn
    Hey Finn, I think the “HH for MEC” is a huge contributing factor, campers can’t resist the Mountain Equipment Co-op (REI equivalent in Canada)! I have the same situation with my Kids, they don’t like the isolation of a hammock in the woods, I on the other hand LOVE it! Welcome to life above ground my friend!
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Saw hammocks being used in the rain forest. Thought it was an incredible way to camp. Begun my research and lo and behold I was not alone!
    You are certainly not alone, there are many hangers in TO, hope you make it out to an EGL hang, be great to meet you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I'm not new but I'll chime in if that's OK. I bought a Clark Jungle Hammock back in 1998
    The inquiry is not exclusive my friend, let’s say it open to anyone who joined the forums during or after Oct 2006!
    You never mentioned the Clark, which one was it? The “Hammock hanging” learning curve never seems to end, we’ve come a long way in 3 years but I never feel “settled” on a setup? I attached my FILO shots (First night in a hammock: Nov 2009 – Last time out: Oct 2011) just for kicks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I got introduced to HF from the sister site WhiteBlaze while I was doing equipment research.

The members here have been more than informative and helpful. It's such a friendly place and help is only a post away.

I'd like to be able to attend one of the EGL hangs - the last one was at least one portage away from the dock and until I have a full set of equipment and can beg a ride in a canoe, I'm stuck at the dock.

Maybe the next one will be somewhere I can get to without swimming..

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    As you know, I'm not new to hanging, but I'm sure my story is fairly typical. I'm been hammocking for about 4-5 years now and unless I'm family camping with the girls, will not be going to ground anytime soon.

I originally got interested in hammock after a particuarly painful canoe trip. Although the daytime activities like paddling and fishing were as wonderful as ever, I got to dread going to sleep at night, knowing that I would soon be suffering from sore shoulders or hips as I tossed and turned to get comfortable. Thermarests, Camprests, closed cell foam, open cell foam, blow up matresses, nothing was working.

As soon as I got home I googled camping cots, light weight camping cots. One thing led to another and before I knew it I was on Hammock Forums and the rest is history. I looked around, MEC was selling the Hennessy Expedition and off I went. On my first couple of outings I still brought my solo tent as backup, being unsure of just how I'd take to hanging, but I've never looked back.

For me the second biggest leap forward in comfort, beyond the hammock itself, has undoubtedly been my down underquilt, followed by my full length tarp. It's like night and day when compared to a stock Hennessy with pads.

As you also know, I've really enjoyed getting together with other Hammock Forums members and like to lend a hand in organizing some overnight and multiday trips. There's always an open invitation to all interested hangers, north or south of the border, to come out on what we've dubbed the EGL (Eastern Great Lakes) Hangs. They've all been a blast. As a rule, it seems, hangers are a cool bunch; after all, with a group that specializes in lightweight outdoor lounging gear, how far wrong can you go?

Cheers
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    I got introduced to HF from the sister site WhiteBlaze while I was doing equipment research.

The members here have been more than informative and helpful. It's such a friendly place and help is only a post away.

I'd like to be able to attend one of the EGL hangs - the last one was at least one portage away from the dock and until I have a full set of equipment and can beg a ride in a canoe, I'm stuck at the dock.

Maybe the next one will be somewhere I can get to without swimming..
    There’s always a “Next EGL Hang”, we try to coordinate trips 3-4 times a year. Snowshoeing in Jan/Feb (depending on the snow) one of us will kick off a planning thread mid November likely. I’d like to see group hike or two next year as well. I love to paddling but I also like to shoot (photos), being on foot is better for the gear!

Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    As you know, I'm not new to hanging, but I'm sure my story is fairly typical.
    I wouldn’t use “fairly typical” to describe your story Captain Morg….Chard. Don’t forget, we’ve battled headwinds from hell & man-eating bogs together?
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

I'm not new either

Greetings everyone

I'm not new to hammock camping either but my route was a little different. I started off getting into bushcraft/survivalism videos on youtube and one of the videos I watched had a related video of a Hennessy Hammock. I thought that was a great way to go as I would no longer have to deal with the woes of sleeping on the ground. I then researched hammock camping and that led me to Just Jeff's site which in turn led me here to Hammock Forums.

I can't ever seeing sleeping on the ground again while camping. I will always plan my trips to be in areas that have trees suitable for hanging a hammock.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Inherited the family canoe in 2009. Decided to get back into camping and canoeing, but my tent was too heavy. Went online looking for lightweight tents, found out about Backpacking Light, and from there to here. Three days of serious online study later, my tent was for sale on MEC Gearswap and the WBBB was on its way!

Now I've got two hammocks, two underquilts, a topquilt, multiple pads, a UQP and a tarp, and I feel like Norm on "Cheers" when I walk into MEC.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast