Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH HLB A-Sym
    Insulation
    REI Travelsack
    Images

Any point to a pad in the jungle heat?

Is there any point to a pad in the jungle heat? Can one just sleep on the bottom of the hammock (say in undies or a silk liner bag)? I'm getting a HH Hyperlite soon for a trip to the Peruvian Amazon. I've got to get it right before I leave as there are few ways to make any changes once I'm there, I'd bet. I know there are mosquito issues sleeping on a bare hammock and that is why I was considering a pad. I know the silk liner makes that second needed layer, but silk is thin and so I was thinking maybe a pad is safer. But, maybe a pad is way too hot.

I was thinking of the GG 1/8" or the 1/4" as these are so light (but, I gather, not so compact) -- of course I'd like both. But, maybe I don't need a pad at all - and could just use the silk liner bag.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    What are the expected low temps? Most need underinsulation in temps as high as 70 degrees. Especially if wind is robbing you of heat.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    You could treat the hammock with permethrin. Then mosquitoes won't be a problem.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    HH HLB A-Sym
    Insulation
    REI Travelsack
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    You could treat the hammock with permethrin. Then mosquitoes won't be a problem.
    Oh, yes, I had forgotten about permethrin. And, Franatic Fringer, thanks for the comment. 70 seems sort of warm to need a pad. You'd think pads should then be sort of standard.

What about the clamminess of sleeping on the hammock bottom? I gather it does not breathe. I was thinking of putting a pad inside a silk sleep sheet.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgabel_pi View Post
    Oh, yes, I had forgotten about permethrin. And, Franatic Fringer, thanks for the comment. 70 seems sort of warm to need a pad. You'd think pads should then be sort of standard.

What about the clamminess of sleeping on the hammock bottom? I gather it does not breathe. I was thinking of putting a pad inside a silk sleep sheet.
    Even breathable hammocks get kinda sticky against my skin in high humidity and heat. I would just put something between me and the hammock, like a thin blanket. That get's me down to the mid-60s easily.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Images
    go for the 1/8" pad in warm temps. i had a minimal mummy width that was 5' long, you could probably make it torso length(even shorter like 50" or so) my 5' narrowish one weighed 3 1/2 oz or so and rolled or folded pretty darn small. the 1/8" evazote should work well for those temps i would think.

consider covering one or both sides with ripstop for comfort, wicking, and anti-tear performance. c3 double-sided sailmaking tape from www.sailrite.com works great.

Hammock
    HH HLB A-Sym
    Insulation
    REI Travelsack
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    go for the 1/8" pad in warm temps. i had a minimal mummy width that was 5' long, you could probably make it torso length(even shorter like 50" or so) my 5' narrowish one weighed 3 1/2 oz or so and rolled or folded pretty darn small. the 1/8" evazote should work well for those temps i would think.

consider covering one or both sides with ripstop for comfort, wicking, and anti-tear performance. c3 double-sided sailmaking tape from www.sailrite.com works great.
    Thanks for your response.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    there are even cheaper options to the GG pads if you only need a minimal layer. It is my opinion that the current weather in Peruvian Jungle will remain above 70° at all hours. I have a super thin layer of Poker Table foam (ccf, volara/evazote) that I use for temps above 60. Cost was about $7
    try this link: free shipping buy 2 feet, and you will get a piece 24" by 59" (good for most people from feet to shoulders) then use a pillow or something under your head. this is the best price i found, and most other places want between $9-12 for shipping alone.

Images
    how thick is it?

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    If you are a back sweater, recommend you consider options other than ccf in jungle environment, something breathable.... probably do not need much if night time lows are not expected to dip below 60*...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast