1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps

Choosing a heav(ier) duty thread injector

I currently have a not so old Kenmore sewing machine that has been great, but this last weekend, I noticed it struggled as I was attempting to sew multiple layers of nylon - especially compared to how easily the machine on the youtube video I was using as a guide operated...

The video was using a Domestic/White 464R to demonstrate something so I checked out other whites and found this model has a 1.3 amp motor and can sew through multiple layers of denim, leather, etc...

Now I want to upgrade but don't know what to look for other than this model White based on what I saw. I actually found that very model locally, and they have a Necchi BU Mira or Nova (I don't know enough to tell which yet) which is supposed to have a 1.1 amp motor and can even get geared lower by adding a pully set.

A friend is a huge fan of the Pfaff 130 model and recently told me he'd be willing to assemble one from the many parts machines he's got. Looking online, I see these models outfitted with up to 1.5 amp motors, retrofitted, modified, etc... and still considered an outstanding workhorse.

This leads me to the question: What makes a good medium to heavy duty machine? Does the weight of the machine have anything to do with it? I see the output from the motor affecting the force at the needle, and maybe the RPMs the machine is capable of acheiving. I understand accessory pulleys can be added for extra oomph at the needle (at the expense of speed). What else?

Of the models I listed above, which would you guys choose and why?
    Last edited by DBLOCK; 10-24-2012 at 10:02. Reason: correct model number

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps
    I picked both the Necchi and the White up at lunch. Both spin freely. I think the White is actually in better shape but it's lacking a pedal/power assembly. It must have been removed from a cabinet.

I like the black and chrome of the Necchi! It makes me think of an old hotrod or Harley... I plugged it in (BTW it's a BU Nova) and the light came on. Pressed the pedal and she ran well enough. Some smoke came out of the motor so I'm guessing the first order of business will be to rewire it. I'll also begin looking for cleaning/oiling instructions. Anyone know of a good online source?

DOH! I forgot to take an inventory to make sure both machines are complete. Hopefully the bobbins, shuttles, etc... are there. Pics to follow.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Crow's Nest/RayWay
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBLOCK View Post
    I picked both the Necchi and the White up at lunch. Both spin freely. I think the White is actually in better shape but it's lacking a pedal/power assembly. It must have been removed from a cabinet.

I like the black and chrome of the Necchi! It makes me think of an old hotrod or Harley... I plugged it in (BTW it's a BU Nova) and the light came on. Pressed the pedal and she ran well enough. Some smoke came out of the motor so I'm guessing the first order of business will be to rewire it. I'll also begin looking for cleaning/oiling instructions. Anyone know of a good online source?

DOH! I forgot to take an inventory to make sure both machines are complete. Hopefully the bobbins, shuttles, etc... are there. Pics to follow.
    I'd recommend taking your Necchi machine to a qualified repair/service shop for cleaning and lubing. They could also advise you regarding the motor issue.

Sky
    "The power of the imagination makes us infinite."

John Muir

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Keep 'em both! Personally, I like the look of the Necchi better, but both of those machines should be able to do the job.

Smoking motors aren't necessarily a bad thing. Many times a machine has been sitting for many years and collects a little dust inside the motor stator. Running it tends to smoke it off. If it keeps on smoking then yea, you may have a new motor in your future. Blow it out with some canned air and give her another go, I bet she straightens right out.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap

I'm not familiar with the models you're looking at but the last time I had smoke coming out of a sewing machine motor it was a death sentence for it.

Be careful with the one with the smoke coming out of it - it could be something simple but it could also be the armature - in which case finding someone with the skills to rewind it could be quite a project in itself.

If I was looking for a medium to heavy-weight machine for all the projects we get into, I'd be looking at one of the all metal older Singers. I have a 401A that I wouldn't trade for all the new machines combined. It's all helix steel gear driven, there's not a belt or a piece of plastic on the thing. As long as I keep it clean and dry and give it the occasional drop of oil, it will last another 60 or 100 years. It sews anything I ask it to from heavy denim to frilly lace.

Right now I own more machines than hammocks.. A Singer 99K that I acquired strictly because it fit my buttonholer (I sew clothes as well), the 401A that is my go-to machine and my almost ancient Juki serger!

Hammock
    DIY hammy
    Tarp
    prezidential suite
    Insulation
    diy underquilt
    Suspension
    straps n buckles

my first machine

I have an ikea SY. yet to conquer the beast.

Hammock
    HHEA, HHEUL, HHSD, GTUL
    Tarp
    DIY KindaLite 1.1
    Insulation
    TQ, DIY Fusion UQ
    Suspension
    W-Slings, Trunks
    I'll also begin looking for cleaning/oiling instructions. Anyone know of a good online source?
    I've got PDFs of the owner's manual and service manual for the BU Nova, PM me your email address and I'll pass them along.

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps
    PM sent and thanks!

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps
    asside from needing new needles, and a foot pedal assembly for the White, both machines appear pretty complete.

Here's the good: Necchi runs! It cleaned up pretty well for an old machine. It has a soothing rhythmic sound when operating. Plenty of OEM bobbins, and the machine appears ready to operate otherwise. It looks like an old harley or hot rod with the black and chrome!

The White looks relatively unused and in excellent condition. A few generic bobbins, plus a needle installed. I am working on acquiring a table with integrated controls rather than foot pedal/chord assembly from someone locally.

The bad: The Necchi bobbin winder is missing/broken. The light switch doesn't work - it's stuck in the on position at least... The White is missing the power chord/foot pedal.

I tried uploading videos to youtube but kept getting a message that I'd deleted the video after I hit the save button???

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Sounds like you have 1.75 great machines! A missing bobbin winder isn't a big deal, you can buy bobbin winders for $20. Heck, wind bobbins and sew at the same time, I like the idea...

When starting a project, I normally wind 3-4 bobbins anyway... a separate winder would have me sewing faster...

Great finds! I'm sure both of your machines are better than the junk Brother I paid $35 for...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast